I don't like poison ivy

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Let me start by saying that I RARELY get poison ivy. Seems I am not super-sensitive to it.

However, on Sunday I was out riding the blue trail. Got to the newer section just west of the big stream crossing where the trail is re-routed up and then down the ridge to avoid the muddy section at the bottom. If you're familar with where I am talking about, you know that as you climb this trail it forks - one section meanders up the ridge to the right, while the other goes straight up the fall line of the ridge. I decided to hammer it out straight up the steep section. Bad idea. There is a small log across the trail right near the top of the climb. Front wheel went over, back wheel spun out. Stall. Feeling of impending doom. Slow motion tumble down and to the right. Apparently into a garden of poison ivy. Right arm, right leg, lotsa itching, yucky blisters.

Let me reiterate. I don't care for poison ivy.

Frank

Sasquatch
I had it so bad once that I had to take steroids in order to clear it up. But it was only on my forearm thankfully....that's some nasty stuff. Feel better soon.

Gregg

Special soap.....

I never used to get poison ivy but the past few years it has gotten worse as you are exposed more each reaction comes easier and stronger. I now wash with Tecnu soap after each mtb ride. The special soap removes urushoil oil which causes the rash and itching. Tecnu is not cheap but it does work. I learned about it from a friend who fights forest fires and he and his co-workers use it after each deployment. Good luck with the healing.

alex_k

skin protectant

I'm not sure if it is actually works but I apply skin protectant "calamine lotion" on my legs before every ride at 6 Mile. It is cheap and can be bought at Stop&Shop. I started doing that this summer after TM when I got poison ivy for the first time.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Thanks

Thanks for the prevention tips guys - I'll have to check out Technu and try out the calamine too. Definitely worth a shot, at least.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
is it possible to not be allergic to poison ivy? im 29 now and spent most of my childhood playing in the woods and whatnot. my friends would get it but ive never had a case of it.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
is it possible to not be allergic to poison ivy? im 29 now and spent most of my childhood playing in the woods and whatnot. my friends would get it but ive never had a case of it.

I've not gotten it for years and years, even doing trailwork kneedeep in it. But last Wednesday doing TM over at the "Rock" I ran across some new breed I'm apparently not immune to, and got some of the rashy, blistered goodness on my legs and arms. I got the Technu Extreme Scrub (mostly because it says EXTREME!!). Works well.

-Jim.

PS-I plan on riding 6-mile Monday so I'll be on the lookout...

Madness

I'm not entirely sure. I'll be riding the D&R canal from my house on the 'cross bike. Plus I'm off all day so I'll be in no rush to start...

-Jim.

Thinking about heading over there around 5-5:30pm after work on the 27 side, if you are around look me up. I need to savlage my missed ride from yesterday.....

Steve Vai

Thinking about heading over there around 5-5:30pm after work on the 27 side, if you are around look me up. I need to savlage my missed ride from yesterday.....

I was back home by noon. I haven't been over there in a while, the new trails are awesome!!

-Jim.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy

15-30% of people are not allergic (I am one), though apparently with enough exposure anyone can get it.

ArmyOfNone

Monday is good!

It will be tough but I will try. I dont get off till 230 am.

I have many more days off now. Just call. If I dont answer more likely than not I am at work.

What about tomorrow morning?

Steve Vai

No tomorrow, commute in the am, then I'm doing the shop ride after work before commuting home.

-Jim.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions