I did something stupid...

NJMX835

I was putting on a new Shimano LX chain & due to a bit of distraction neglected to thread it through part of the derailleur cage, which of course I didn't discover until I had pressed the pin in. :(

So... do I have any other options other than breaking the chain & putting a quick link in?

clutch

I was putting on a new Shimano LX chain & due to a bit of distraction neglected to thread it through part of the derailleur cage, which of course I didn't discover until I had pressed the pin in. :(

So... do I have any other options other than breaking the chain & putting a quick link in?

front or rear deraileur?

You can take the rear one apart and get it to work.

I don't know how your front deraileur is assembled, but I know it wouldn't be possible on my front deraileur.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Sometimes there is a little phillips screw in the front derailleur cage that will allow you to separate it and slide the chain in. If it's the rear you can unbolt the cage and slip the chain through that way.

-Jim.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
why can't you just break the chain, and put it back together once it's seated properly? you don't need a quick link...

M

MattyJay88

why can't you just break the chain, and put it back together once it's seated properly? you don't need a quick link...

you should never reuse pins. if you break it either use a quick link or a new pin. but you should be able to take the cage apart and fix it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've reused pins for many years with no issue until this past spring. I didn't get hung to dry but figured I was tempting the Chain Gods enough so I just use a quick link now.

But you can break it and use it again if need be. Just do a dance or something first.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
i haven't had any problems with 'reusing' pins. i just don't push it out all the way, so that it's still connected to the outer link even when broken.

M

MattyJay88

i haven't had any problems with 'reusing' pins. i just don't push it out all the way, so that it's still connected to the outer link even when broken.

this is perfectly fine. if its pushed out all the way it would not be smart to reuse it.

lou_b_83

I've reused pins for many years with no issue until this past spring. I didn't get hung to dry but figured I was tempting the Chain Gods enough so I just use a quick link now.

But you can break it and use it again if need be. Just do a dance or something first.

I do it to. Never had any problems.

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
I do it to. Never had any problems.

Who else wants to add themselves to the "I never" jinx list? :p

You all had better do something to appease the chain gods - make sure you tip your 4-double-oh-zee of chain lube to them the next time you're getting ready to ride or something.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Shimano pins don't really like going in and out. Shimano chains can and do break if you push the pins in and out.

I have been in the habit of running Shimano chains with Wipperman links as of late. This is a good setup as I see it.

Wobbegong

Same here. The wipperman quick link was one of the first things I added when I got the road bike with Shimano chain. I like being able to take the chain off to clean it. I put it in an old water bottle with a few ounces of degreaser and shake, rinse, repeat until the degreaser stays clean. Its the best way I've found to clean a chain.

NJMX835

Wow, two pages overnight! lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will see if there's a screw to split the cage on the rear derraliuer (08 Sram X.9).

If not, I'll break the chain, but be careful not to push the pin all the way through.

Thanks again!

Ian F

Who else wants to add themselves to the "I never" jinx list? :p

I will. I've been breaking and shortening Shimano chains for well over ten years this way... Although I admit I think all of the chains on my bikes are Sachs now (bought a stash of them ages ago) since I tried to swap them at least once a year to limit wear-in on ti cassette cogs... (back when I rode a lot more... :( )

Top Bottom