Hydraulic brake upgrade

Rollin Dice

I'm looking to upgrade from my BB5's, Shimano SLX looks like a good choice but wondering if anyone has any other suggestions. I've never done this before, is there anything I need to be aware of before buying? they come pre bled and looks like should be a fairly simple job, do I need to replace rotors? if so, what should I get

SLX is a solid choice; it's just a slightly heavier XT. You don't necessarily need new rotors as any rotors will work, but because rotors aren't super expensive it definitely wouldn't hurt. A rotor does wear down and lose thickness just like a pad, so you don't want to have crappy performance right off the bat. The install is simple, but the only problem you may run into and need a shop for is if you need to cut the hydro lines shorter and you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

SLX is a solid choice; it's just a slightly heavier XT. You don't necessarily need new rotors as any rotors will work, but because rotors aren't super expensive it definitely wouldn't hurt. A rotor does wear down and lose thickness just like a pad, so you don't want to have crappy performance right off the bat. The install is simple, but the only problem you may run into and need a shop for is if you need to cut the hydro lines shorter and you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Are you sure they're heavier? They don't have cooling fins. Steel cotter pin instead of a steel screw holding the pads in. Lever is missing a reach adjustment on the SLX.

It seems Shimano had 4 product lines to put brakes into but had a hard time actually trying to differentiate them. The Deore levers I have need a hex tool to adjust reach where the SLX has a knob. It's such a silly difference.

Are you sure they're heavier? They don't have cooling fins. Steel cotter pin instead of a steel screw holding the pads in. Lever is missing a reach adjustment on the SLX.

It seems Shimano had 4 product lines to put brakes into but had a hard time actually trying to differentiate them. The Deore levers I have need a hex tool to adjust reach where the SLX has a knob. It's such a silly difference.
I think by like 20 grams? At least around the time I got my XT's. Pretty insignificant differences between them all. I was gonna go with SLX a few years back because it had the bleed screw unlike Deores reservoir cover at the time, but found the XT's at a good deal. I see the current Deores have a bleed screw now as well.

Thanks, was wondering about the length as they seem to be a little longer than my cables by my rough measurements, didnt know if I could just "lose a little" here and there

so my existing ones won't work?
Older Avid brakes used CPS spacers which kept the caliper off the adapter. Shimano brakes sit right on the adapter. If you had these little, silver spacers on your brakes, then you'll need new adapters. Just make sure you get the correct ones for your rotor size and Post or IS mount. Post bolts straight to the fork or frame, IS mounts at a 90 degree angle to the fork or frame.
avid_bb7-road-s.jpg

I suppose you can use those spacers underneath the new calipers? Never thought about doing that. The Shimano bolts may be too short if you do that though so you'd have to use the Avid ones. Adapters are also not going to kill you cost-wise.

Last edited:
Actually the brackets should be the same more or less. The Avid calipers actually have that boss offset to fit the CPS washers below and above.

When I ripped off my Juicy brakes I just slapped the Shimano brakes right onto the Avid brackets with the Shimano bolts. No issues.

Back
Top Bottom