Hybrid frame usability?

ytc100

Would it be possible/worth while to convert a hybrid bike to something a little more spirited for the road? Not really expecting to make it a "road" bike but maybe some kind of single speed hybrid with more normal mtn. style bars? Is the geometry too wacky for this idea?

bonefishjake said:
why not? i'm using a trek 970 w/ slicks as a road bike.

Well it's got a 1" steerer tube /quill type adjustable stem. Not sure how to go about converting this at what would need to be minimal cost. I guess a more standard quill stem with new bars?

ytc100 said:
Well it's got a 1" steerer tube /quill type adjustable stem. Not sure how to go about converting this at what would need to be minimal cost. I guess a more standard quill stem with new bars?

that would probably be the cheapest option.

i have a hybrid frame set up with one of my 29er wheelsets, cross tires and (now)flat bars. i use it for road/light trail rides when i'm in philly and occasional touring. specifically philly because i keep it in my buddy's basement in manayunk for whenever i head down there.

anrothar said:
i have a hybrid frame set up with one of my 29er wheelsets, cross tires and (now)flat bars. i use it for road/light trail rides when i'm in philly and occasional touring. specifically philly because i keep it in my buddy's basement in manayunk for whenever i head down there.

I was thinking flat bars to compensate a little for the more upright geo.
Are 29er and 700c the same thing when we're talking about wheels?

correct. but these are mountain specific rims, which means they're a little wider and stronger than 700c road rims. so calling them 29er helps to make that distinction. if you tried putting a 23c tire on a 28mm wide rim, you wouldn't be getting very far.

anrothar said:
correct. but these are mountain specific rims, which means they're a little wider and stronger than 700c road rims. so calling them 29er helps to make that distinction. if you tried putting a 23c tire on a 28mm wide rim, you wouldn't be getting very far.

Ahhh, gotcha, thanks.

yes, do it

Change those tires and rims, then go bike up a hill. Should be a lot easier with the gearing.

ytc100 said:
I was thinking flat bars to compensate a little for the more upright geo.
Are 29er and 700c the same thing when we're talking about wheels?

27 are close to 700 I think. Some old road bikes came with that size.

27" are 685.8 mm. the 29 is the approximate measure of the tire, so with a really high volume tire on there, you can add around or over two inches. the erd on a 29er rim and a 700 rim are the same.

Back
Top Bottom