Hybrid frame usability?

ytc100

Would it be possible/worth while to convert a hybrid bike to something a little more spirited for the road? Not really expecting to make it a "road" bike but maybe some kind of single speed hybrid with more normal mtn. style bars? Is the geometry too wacky for this idea?

ytc100

bonefishjake said:
why not? i'm using a trek 970 w/ slicks as a road bike.

Well it's got a 1" steerer tube /quill type adjustable stem. Not sure how to go about converting this at what would need to be minimal cost. I guess a more standard quill stem with new bars?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:
Well it's got a 1" steerer tube /quill type adjustable stem. Not sure how to go about converting this at what would need to be minimal cost. I guess a more standard quill stem with new bars?

that would probably be the cheapest option.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i have a hybrid frame set up with one of my 29er wheelsets, cross tires and (now)flat bars. i use it for road/light trail rides when i'm in philly and occasional touring. specifically philly because i keep it in my buddy's basement in manayunk for whenever i head down there.

ytc100

anrothar said:
i have a hybrid frame set up with one of my 29er wheelsets, cross tires and (now)flat bars. i use it for road/light trail rides when i'm in philly and occasional touring. specifically philly because i keep it in my buddy's basement in manayunk for whenever i head down there.

I was thinking flat bars to compensate a little for the more upright geo.
Are 29er and 700c the same thing when we're talking about wheels?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
correct. but these are mountain specific rims, which means they're a little wider and stronger than 700c road rims. so calling them 29er helps to make that distinction. if you tried putting a 23c tire on a 28mm wide rim, you wouldn't be getting very far.

ytc100

anrothar said:
correct. but these are mountain specific rims, which means they're a little wider and stronger than 700c road rims. so calling them 29er helps to make that distinction. if you tried putting a 23c tire on a 28mm wide rim, you wouldn't be getting very far.

Ahhh, gotcha, thanks.

NJ Jess

yes, do it

Change those tires and rims, then go bike up a hill. Should be a lot easier with the gearing.

stoked

ytc100 said:
I was thinking flat bars to compensate a little for the more upright geo.
Are 29er and 700c the same thing when we're talking about wheels?

27 are close to 700 I think. Some old road bikes came with that size.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
27" are 685.8 mm. the 29 is the approximate measure of the tire, so with a really high volume tire on there, you can add around or over two inches. the erd on a 29er rim and a 700 rim are the same.

Top Bottom