Hurricane Thread

Gene

The Dancing Machine
Hurricane Ida (9/1/2021)

Winds in West Orange (Essex) weren’t as bad as the rain, but oh boy did the rain come. Winds would have made things worse for sure with downed trees.

I am without power as of 8:30PM last night, but probably minimal to others.

Starting this thread to check on others and social communicate if others can help.

Stay safe.

mtn

Wind was a non-issue with these remnants, with the exception of isolated severe storms. Ie the tornado near Philly and one near Trenton.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm up in Boston, heading back before noon. Should be an interesting trip. Right now there is no way to get to my house hopefully by 5:00 or so

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Made out ok on my side of town, but a buddy on the other side of Cranford had a full basement and water into the 1st floor, his street has 5+ ft of water. If anyone in the Cranford area needs anything, reach out

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Some photos of the roads around Hillsborough right now:

krausers at Weston Canal road:

1BE05EE8-D24F-4A5E-8E36-048EAD0EC12E.png

South Branch over by @Patrick
30AEFCEF-995C-4E42-A9DD-A02074563A34.png

Intersection of 514 and Millstone River Road. That’s the Getty gas station. This is right by the canal path and just north of six mile.
5396CC18-2E73-4263-9BC5-17CE24D59BBF.png

Abandoned cars on Willow Ave by Hillsborough Road
19FF765F-DABF-497D-9349-E584E4543F18.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Thanks Dave. I think that stop sign is from Studiford Rd into Hillsborough.

Like Norm, we are on a hill. But on the wrong side of the moat. Car camping at Wegmans?

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Thanks Dave. I think that stop sign is from Studiford Rd into Hillsborough.

Like Norm, we are on a hill. But on the wrong side of the moat. Car camping at Wegmans?
That’s exactly the spot. Studdiford.

Ian F

Wow... that gas station and quick-mart have been flooded so many times. I remember one year the station owner had enough of a warning that he pulled the pumps a few days ahead of time. Not sure why we didn't seem to think Ida would be so bad. The house on the other side of the quick-mart was elevated a few years ago, no?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like Norm I'm on a hill except at 1000'
If Norm was flooded that means I'm paddling my kyack to Somerville today

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Anyone need to borrow a generator, let me know. We are fine for now, of course I probably jinxed it. Last time I loaned it out was Irene and my power went out within 12 hours. Karma.

rick81721

Lothar
Not a hurricane here.

Hey we had some water in our basement - sump pump died. Today will be wet vacuuming the carpet. Good thing all the crap down there was in plastic crates.

gpTron

Looking at the weather map all day yesterday I feel like the storm stayed just west and north of me (Hightstown/East Windsor) until night time. That helped ease the pain a bit though I haven't checked the middle of town by the lake/waterfall. The water proofing we had done 3 years ago was worth every penny. I mean 2 weeks ago I found out one of my pumps was dead when I noticed a little spot of water along the perimeter and replaced it so we were all good this time. I've also been playing with fire by not having a generator all this time for my pumps so I finally ordered one yesterday to get here Saturday.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
Also try going down Amwell? I went thru yesterday going to the dentist in Hillsboro. The county was just doing something with a backhoe on the bridge at Montgomery road.
I saw on the police blotter that bridge is out now. That whole area of Three Bridges road, Blackpoint, Montgomery where they cross Amwell is all flooded. That flooded in the last big rain not too long ago.

ekuhn

Some photos of the roads around Hillsborough right now:

krausers at Weston Canal road:

View attachment 166233

South Branch over by @Patrick
View attachment 166234
Intersection of 514 and Millstone River Road. That’s the Getty gas station. This is right by the canal path and just north of six mile.
View attachment 166235

Abandoned cars on Willow Ave by Hillsborough Road
View attachment 166236
Crazy pictures Dave. I was hoping to get my hair cut yesterday afternoon at the Klean Kutz, but when I pulled into the lot yesterday afternoon the barber chairs were loaded on a trailer - they were prepping!

Top Bottom