*Hunting Dates*

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i found this on mtbr while looking for info on the hidden valley course. it applies to zone 6 only, which is north and western morris county. i think there are more dates too, so if anyone knows anything, post it up here:

Mahlon Dickerson:
Bow hunting---10/2 11/25 No Saturdays
Permit Shot gun—12/13-15 out by noon
Six day firearm buck season 12/4-9 No Sat. out by noon

The hunting regs are 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour afteer sunset (no hunting on Sunday). For Zone 6 (Mahlon, Allamuchy, Sparta Mountain Wildlife Management Area, etc)
Fall Bow - 9/30-10/27
Permit Bow - 10/28-11/25
Youth Day - 9/23
Muzzleloader - 11/27, 11/28, 12/11,12/12, 12/16-12/23, 12/26-12/31
Permit Shotgun - 12/13-12/15
Winter Bow - 1/1-1/31

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably should bump this to the top ever weekend during the pertinent seasons. Obviously good info to have.

I wish they would hunt my yard and stay off the trails. Godd@mn deer eat all the flowers every year.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
Hey -- saw a guy with a bow at Kittatinny last Monday night. He was laying across the trail in Camo around 5:30pm. I thought he was a newly fallen log and almost ran him over! Imagine his surprise at seeing a Clydesdale on a 29er SS bearing down on him. Yikes! The trail is not a good place to lay down.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Allamuchy Joe said:
Hey -- saw a guy with a bow at Kittatinny last Monday night. He was laying across the trail in Camo around 5:30pm. I thought he was a newly fallen log and almost ran him over! Imagine his surprise at seeing a Clydesdale on a 29er SS bearing down on him. Yikes! The trail is not a good place to lay down.

That's incredible!

I wonder what he was doing :S

Shaggz

A strong 7
Did you report the incident to the rangers?
H
From NJDEP Web Site: "Hunting is permitted within Kittatinny Valley State Park, however hunting is not permitted on or from either rail trail. The core area of the park, west of Limecrest Road and east of Goodale Road, is also closed to all hunting.

Areas of the park to the west of Goodale Road and to the east of Limecrest Road are open for all hunting seasons as described in the Fish and Wildlife Digest.

Please contact the park office for a copy of the hunting flyer which details the open seasons and specifies the dates."

I thought I saw a hunting screen in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (blue trail) right before the right turn to the steep shale climb.

Last edited:

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
No, he was west of Gooddale Road, but not as far north as the Mr. Rogers trail. He was approximately 20 feet off of the railtrail on the first single trail between Gooddale Road & the railtrail (near the big tree with the large roots).

He just chose his "hiding" location poorly, being in the middle of a trail and all. His camo was pretty good, as I did think he was a log to be jumped.

Last edited:

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Allamuchy Joe said:
No, he was west of Gooddale Road, but not as far north as the Mr. Rogers trail. He was approximately 20 feet off of the railtrail on the first single trail between Gooddale Road & the railtrail (near the big tree with the large roots).

He just chose his "hiding" location poorly, being in the middle of a trail and all. His camo was pretty good, as I did think he was a log to be jumped.

man... talk about great helmet cam footage. if you only had hopped him with the camera rolling :)

ytc100

smarencik said:
I thought I saw a hunting screen in Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (blue trail) right before the right turn to the steep shale climb.

There's been one at the top of that climb for awhile too.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i was riding a sort of swampy, fun trail today, along berkshire valley rd. i took an 'abandoned side trail around a horribly muddy section. i almost always take it. i was greeted halfway through it by bacon hanging from all the trees in a 20 ft radius and a line of upright pine boughs poked into the ground between two trees with a little maybe 8"x8" square of unconnected twigs at one end. i looked every where for a trap before stepping over the boughs. i don't think bear is in season, is it? or is this normal procedure for deer hunting? is baiting legal?

S

Stan LeCupp

anrothar said:
i was riding a sort of swampy, fun trail today, along berkshire valley rd. i took an 'abandoned side trail around a horribly muddy section. i almost always take it. i was greeted halfway through it by bacon hanging from all the trees in a 20 ft radius and a line of upright pine boughs poked into the ground between two trees with a little maybe 8"x8" square of unconnected twigs at one end. i looked every where for a trap before stepping over the boughs. i don't think bear is in season, is it? or is this normal procedure for deer hunting? is baiting legal?

Just did a search and apparently it is legal in NJ accept for the Delaware water gap.Didn't find anything about baiting with bacon though. Most people were using grain/corn.Sounds a little suspicious to me.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
as far as i can tell, there is no reason why someone couldn't attempt to bait deer with bacon. but it seems more likely they are going after a carni/omnivore, ie: black bear. the cutting of branches is illegal, but...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
signs are now posted at Mahlon Dickerson:

Park & Trails closed:
12-4 through 12-8
and
12-13 through 12-15
untill 12:00

BowHunting may be occuring at the park any time from October 2 through February 17, sundays excluded. but the park is not closed for bow hunting.

ytc100

Tourne has signs up that close the park on Tuesdays in January plus the first Tues. in Feb. Time to kill the deer I suppose.

Last edited:
Top Bottom