Hunting Coyotes?

xc62701

Hey guys and gals. As you may have read in my other post from Allamuchy this morning, I came across a dead coyote today. It looked like it was shot and dragged near turtle rock and hung from a limb. A small section of rope was still tied to it's rear leg. Maybe it was set there for a trap since it was close to a ground? Pretty odd. Is this even legal? Are coyotes protected?

xc62701

Well it doesn't answer whether they are in season now but there are permits issued. It still doesn't answer why one would be hanging in a tree though? Just a little odd.

xc62701

Yea I just saw on the DEP website that they are in season... I could never hunt either. I can't see doing that unless I was really desperate for the food. To each their own.

Wazu

maybe someone found it injured and put it out of its mysery. At any rate, I'm staying away from there till I can go with a group!

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
Well it doesn't answer whether they are in season now but there are permits issued. It still doesn't answer why one would be hanging in a tree though? Just a little odd.

I think their season is pretty long cause it gets tagged on w/ all the other small game and such.You also have to realize that we're still hillbillys up here and there is really no set "season" for anything , although public land is a little risky.I laughed at the bottom of that first website cause if i called fish and game everytime i saw one during daylight w/no fear of humans, I'd be on the phone all day!!

VanDbtRiver

while there is food at the super market i cant see taking down a coyote of all things. especially in new jersey. what do i know

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
maybe someone found it injured and put it out of its mysery. At any rate, I'm staying away from there till I can go with a group!

If yer scared of yotes you're are gonna crap yerself when you see a big cat......

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah what's a coyote weigh? 30 pounds or so? They sound creepy in the night though.

xc62701

That's one thing but why would there be a rope on it's leg and hanging in a tree?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
I think their season is pretty long cause it gets tagged on w/ all the other small game and such.You also have to realize that we're still hillbillys up here and there is really no set "season" for anything , although public land is a little risky.I laughed at the bottom of that first website cause if i called fish and game everytime i saw one during daylight w/no fear of humans, I'd be on the phone all day!!

most of the ones i've seen(and been sniffed by) had little to no fear of me.

xc62701

If yer scared of yotes you're are gonna crap yerself when you see a big cat......

Yea they aren't that big and are relatively harmless. I'm still waiting till I come across a bobcat or mountain lion. That's the bad thing though. They'll see me before I see them...

Top Bottom