Hunter MTN is Open

NJMX835

Does anyone know if it's worth it to go there with a DH bike?

I don't know anyone who's ever gone there & I figure if it was any wood for DH I would have head about it by now.

That mountain has such great potential though, tons of vert...

pinkshirtphotos

i here there is not much built up, and the mountain has no real steep sections. if you have a short travel play bike its more fun (ie bottlerocket, sx trail ect)

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
i here there is not much built up, and the mountain has no real steep sections. if you have a short travel play bike its more fun (ie bottlerocket, sx trail ect)

I was there last year and there were only a few trails down from the top. All of them had some serious steep stuff in it, just about straight down a blue ski trail.

Awdrifter13

i know im a little late on the reply for hunter but i used to ride it all the time, on my hardtail... you dont need a downhill bike for there, but it is fast and you can tabletop the D lift where it lets you off at the bottom of the bowl

don

i know im a little late on the reply for hunter but i used to ride it all the time, on my hardtail... you dont need a downhill bike for there, but it is fast and you can tabletop the D lift where it lets you off at the bottom of the bowl

I rode Hunter years ago when I had my first suspension bike - a Kona Stinky. I was up near that area of NY for a family thing and brought my bike. They made you do a group tour for the downhill - some guys were riding off-road scooters (WTF?)

Anyway, we came up to a tabletop sorta jump that was near a lift - I think that's what you are talking about? You'd hit the jump and land on the flat where people would unload during the winter. I sorta lamed out the first time and hiked back up to do it again - hitting it at a fair clip the 2nd time - I was surprised how much it tossed me and with the flat landing was a little worried about the old Z1. Things were fine until the next downhill section when my Hope rear hub blew and was acting like a fixed gear. I remember the place being fun - not to gnar but just good flowy fun.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
would a DJ bike be any good here for the jump stuff? i see they have a pump track on the map - worth going to if i'm up in kingston next week?

don

would a DJ bike be any good here for the jump stuff? i see they have a pump track on the map - worth going to if i'm up in kingston next week?

It's been so long that I can't say for certain. Maybe try a search on mtbr, ridemonkey, or bustedspoke.com?

Awdrifter13

i havent been there in like 4 years but the only jump worth hitting was the d lift table top... it will throw you high and far if its still the same... my cousin cleared it and the entire tour we were there with, then they let us ride alone:hmmm: lol

don

i havent been there in like 4 years but the only jump worth hitting was the d lift table top... it will throw you high and far if its still the same... my cousin cleared it and the entire tour we were there with, then they let us ride alone:hmmm: lol

The whole thing? That must have been a 25-30ft launch if I remember right. Not to mention how high it put you too. I was looking at thinking it might be doable to some superhuman rider. Big props to your cousin - that's a mean feat for sure!

don

yeah it was definately a rad jump but when he landed he snapped off his cranks... kids nuts

That's funny - the same thing happened to a kid in my group. When he hit it he snapped his cranks right off. I told him if he's jumping like that to get some Profiles.

Awdrifter13

I have to ask my little bro if we have video of that! Somewhere we have video of him jumping a 40' tabletop being towed by a quad to it...

Top Bottom