HT or DS, what's better

Sprintzer

What's better. HT or DS. Also, anyone hear about Motobecane or windsor. I'm buyin one of em on Bike direct and want to know anyone's opinion. I cant drop a grand on sumn real sweet so i am steppin up slowly. Wife would hang me if i go faster than this.

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
Oh boy, you really opened a can of worms now. I'll sum it up real quick. It is a rider preference as to which is better.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I'm sensing some 29er propaganda, but I think a good HT is better than a run of the mill FS. But what the hell do I know.

Sprintzer

i saw the 29ers. they look massive man. i dunno, i like the smoothness of a FS but you can't get the easy climbs like a HT

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm sensing some 29er propaganda, but I think a good HT is better than a run of the mill FS. But what the hell do I know.

A good HT/DS is better than a run-of-the-mill DS/HT. Good is better than run-of-the-mill either way you slice it, IMO.

What do you ride now Sprintzer? There are too many variables to say. If you're just getting into the sport, and living up north, you may want a good mid-range FS bike to get your feet wet. Since you ask this question I'll assume you're more on the beginner side of the fence?

TonyC

i saw the 29ers. they look massive man. i dunno, i like the smoothness of a FS but you can't get the easy climbs like a HT

That all depends on the bike. The Bike technology out there provides FS bikes that have little to no bobbing on climbs.

If you must buy direct check out www.ibexbikes.com

Although I would highly recommend a "good" LBS. They are there to answer all your questions and will point you in the right direction. Plus you'll get their tuneup service if you buy.

BiknBen

Go to Pedal Sports. Ask for Rob. Tell him Joe Purcella sent you for a new bike.
PedalSports.jpg

Another option in your town is Pompton Cycle. I bought my first real bike there back in the 80's.
Pompton.jpg

BikesDirect does NOT sell real bikes.

Madness

Check out this months issue of Mt. Bike Action, the did a shootout of 5 bikes under 800.00. There is some really good info in that test. They tested both hardtails and full suspension bikes. That might help you get a good base of where to start. Personally I ride a hardtail but I am almost finished building my FS. I like the fact that I learned on a hardtail and I know exactly how to handle the trail for the most part. When I have ridden a FS I felt a little more comfortable over certin terrain. I would suggest demoing both in a real trail and making a decision from there. But either way you go you will be happy cause you are riding......

Hope that helps

If you're going to be racing, then that's a different story. But if you're going to just be riding on multiple terrains, I'd definitely go with the DS b/c it will hold up a lot better on the rougher terrains (Allamuchy & Ringwood for instance) and it will do just fine on the smoother stuff (Lewis Morris and Hartshorne for instance). Ideally I'd like to have both b/c riding Hartshorne with a dualie is major overkill, but I'll take the lost power in that ride over the extra shock absorption that a dualie gives me on a rougher ride. I remember riding Allamuchy with a hardtail when I first started riding and my body would just take a beaten. It still beats me down with the dualie, but to a much lesser degree.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
+1 for Pedal Sports and for Rob.

And if you're going to ride in your backyard on Cannonball trail, Skyline Dr, RW, JH, Waywayanda... you may regret not having DS. Make the second bike a hardtail.

Single speed... it's a cult thing.

;)

Last edited:

Sprintzer

never biked cannonball. its nuts though. i usually take my trail runs along it from PL to the lake and stuff. Waway is my home park, love the terrain and i am trying to completely figure out the race course.

Top Bottom