How's the winter going for the ladies?

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Karen so sorry to hear about his injury. I'm sure you know it will be tough for awhile. Soon he will start to feel better. Remind him that his spirts play a huge part in his healing. Having a good outlook is key to recovery. When I was hurt I set a few goals and did whatever I had to do to meet them. Any excercises that he might be able to do will lift his moods. As Cyclopath pointed out there are quite a few supplements he can take to speed recovery ... Bone Defense is one and ofcourse Calcium and many others. Diet too is also important. PM if ya need to chat

Christina ... :(

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Karen, So sorry to hear about your hubby. I hope he heals up soon. Mr pixy, as well as several of our friends have broken hips, and some have been back on the bike very quickly. Blood flow in that area is important to maintain joint health. Love doesn't hurt either ;)

ellenserruto

Hi Gals, (& guys),
First off so sorry to hear about your husband's injury Karen. I wish him a speedy recovery.
I have managed to get a bit of winter riding in. For me its a challenge to stay warm. I always feel so full of energy after cold weather ride so its worth it to push myself out the door. Of course I'm in the gym just about everyday. . spinning, running, strength, speed & agility training. Luckily I have a small "serious" fitness center close to my home. . we are like family!
My kids & I have been skiing in PA a bunch of times. Finally all my kids can do it on there own. What a long strange TIRING trip its been but we've arrived!
Lately my local trails look like ice rinks and I feel like I'm risking my neck when I ride. Tomorrow I'm off to FL and I have a road bike lined up for myself.
It will be my first time riding on the road EVER. Yea I won't mind the 80 degree temps and who knows?? maybe I'll come back and buy that road bike!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
It will be my first time riding on the road EVER. Yea I won't mind the 80 degree temps and who knows?? maybe I'll come back and buy that road bike!

Good for you, Ellen!
I hope you have a great time.
But, do be careful down there, a number of my friends have reported that Florida drivers are much less aware of bikes than NJ drivers. You might want to bring your own helmet too, one of my friends couldn't even buy a helmet from the rental place he used.

Anyway be large, and loud, be diligent and be safe.
And bring me back a tan!;)

ptgirl

First off, Karen, sorry to hear about your husband's injury...he should recover pretty well, although it'll take time.

I haven't been riding since mid October, but plan on getting back into the swing of things in early Spring. I have been keeping busy with tons of indoor rock climbing over the past several months and love it!!

My shoulder has been irritated over the past 2 weeks so I am laying off this week...

My other plan for later in the year is to do my first sprint triathlon, so besides some outdoor rock climbing, hiking, mountain biking and maybe 1 or 2 H2H races, it's all about the tri this year for me!

I'm looking forward to some Campmor Women's rides in the late spring!

Kmoodymz3

Thanks all for your good wishes.

We are keeping a very positive outlook and training plans have just changed a bit. He is going to have lots of PT and I've always nagged him about doing balance and upperbody work. Now with crutches for 3 months he has no choice :D He is anti vitamins but I've convinced him that Ensure will provide him with needed calcium. My sneaky way of getting some vitamins in him!

Sorry to hijack the post, now back to winter riding...

I'm hoping to get back on the trails the weekend of the 7th pending weather. I need to get out and ride. Maybe we can meet up somewhere. John would be happier if I rode with friends.

Ellen have a great time. With the exception of a spin around the block on a friends bike I've never really ridden a road bike. I am totaly intimidated by those skinny tires! Enjoy the sun!

NJ Jess

healing vibes.

Hope John recovers quickly. Good idea on the upper body workouts. I would like to say that "Ensure" does contain more fats than most nutriment drinks. It could lead to wt gain since he is on crutches. Perhaps he could try Carnation Instant Breakfast with 2 % milk. Much higher in nutrients and less in fat. Keep the healing vibes going.

Ellen S,....don't go over to the DarkSide!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
First, Karen, sorry to hear about your husband, I hope he heals quickly. He's in good shape so he should.

Lots of good stuff here. My goal this year also is NOT TO GET HURT! I have been getting out once a week to ride, usually Allaire. I don't think I've been on the road bike in 09, except the trainer.
I, unfortunately, gained the holiday 5 (or is it 10?), so now I'm desperately trying to rid of it. Slimfast and wine;) I'm definitely getting stronger, but the fat doesn't seem to want to leave:mad:
I started running and swimming again. I feel like a lost a lot of fitness since getting injured in August. I'm very slowing regaining my base fitness by biking (3x), running (2x), swimming (2x) and lifting (2x) a week.

My kids too think I'm a much much much nicer person if I get out to ride (so does my husband....that's why he lets me). Gotta love those endorphins.

trailrider

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about John's injury. I hope his recovery is shorter than the time you can ride at one time (which is a very long time!)...I'm sure your positive nature will help him out. -Katie

Kmoodymz3

Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about John's injury. I hope his recovery is shorter than the time you can ride at one time (which is a very long time!)...I'm sure your positive nature will help him out. -Katie

Thanks, don't think I can ride that long but I'll try working up to it;)

Chemgirl, don't be discouraged by the lack of weight loss. You are doing a lot of exercise and are putting on muscle at this point. Also be careful not to restrict too many calories if you are exercising a lot. Your body will go into conservation mode and you will have lots of trouble burning fat and just get frustrated.

mudhoney

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your husband as well. Hope he feels better soon.

As for me, I have been getting out just about every Sat. and Sun. No time during the week with work and school. We've ridden Mercer, Allaire, Hartshorne, Lewis Morris, 6 mile, etc... I'm getting more and more used to riding in snow and ice.

I have been meaning to use my trainer but so far I haven't. It's so hard to get on there when the couch is right there.

M

Mtnbikechick

Karen... OUCH! So sorry to hear about the hubby! Only another cyclist would read that, shudder, and then think, well... at least it was at the END of the ride! I hope he's healing comfortably!!!!!!!! Those crutches are a good workout in and of themselves... speaking from recent experience! I spent the entire summer of 2007 on them. I was wishing for a THIRD ARM the entire time!

I was hoping that cookie baking would be considered an endurance sport, because if that was the case, I think I'm ready for the MARATHON! Other than that, I have been trying to get out and ride on the weekends... running a few days a week at lunch, and riding the trainer along with some weight training during the week... a few days a week. Some weeks have been better than others depending on the work and school schedules... and of course the weather. I usually resort to trail running when I can't ride the mountain bike because of the conditions. It's much easier to negotiate ice and snow on foot.

Anyway, I'll be HAPPY HAPPY when we can head out for a ride with one layer of clothes and it doesn't take a couple loads on the washer for the bike clothes upon return from a ride for us cycists in this household!

Just remember, spring is right around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Leslie:)

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
anyway, i'll be happy happy when we can head out for a ride with one layer of clothes and it doesn't take a couple loads on the washer for the bike clothes upon return from a ride for us cycists in this household!

Just remember, spring is right around the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

leslie:)

Amen!!! ..... the wind on my arms :). Less laundry. Can't wait!

rocknrollgirl

I love winter...but the laundry comment struck me as well. I too and getting tired of having two loads of wash every single time we come home.

To top it off, at the pool where I train, they have not had hot water in the showers because the pipes are on the outside wall and it has been so cold. So pool workout, cold locker room, cold shower, piles of clothes and out in to the cold with wet hair. Fabulous.

Just this morning, I said to another swimmer, a few more months and we will throw on shorts and flops and head out the door.

And then I will be complaining about the heat which is worse for me than the cold!!!!!:):):)

Mare

Less clothes to pack for each ride too!!! Right now I bring jerseys of various thicknesses, 3 pairs of gloves, winter shoes, regular shoes, hat, ear warmers, windblock tights, regular tights... because by the time I get to the trails, who knows if it will be anything like the temp was at my house when I left.

N

NiceIrishGirl

Almost spring!

Karen, here's wishing your husband a speedy recovery!

I miss my bike, I haven't ridden a trail since I came out to Allaire on December 5th. I live in PA, so the weather here is a bit worse than where most of you are. I actually have about 6inches of snow on the ground right now, it's just been too cold for it to melt between storms.

I've gotten in a couple of short road rides since Dec. 5th, but nothing to write home about.

Trying to lose some weight, so I started a weight training program, which I alternate with cardio each day, so I'm hoping to be in better shape in a few weeks when SPRING arrives and I can start riding daily again.

hope to meet some of you on the trails soon!
CHEERS!:)

Kmoodymz3

Sunday was so beautiful I did a ride out to the end of Sandy Hook and back; 2 hours R/T from my house. It was great to only ride with 2 layers and short finger gloves. Laundry was significantly reduced. :)

John is healing slowly. He can at least move a bit more and tomorrow gets the surgical staples out. Then he can take a shower again. Not that the sponge baths aren't fun :D but I have to go back to work! Thanks for all the good wishes.

MIG - keep me posted on the weight loss program I have been there and it is hard to stay motivated or rather, easy to fall off the wagon. Hope you can get out east and ride with us this Spring.

N

NiceIrishGirl

LOL, Karen, I'm not the MIG. (though he is trying to lose weight as well) That's my brother, the Mean Irish Guy. I'm the Nice Irish Girl.

I've been trying to lose weight since the fall, but really got serious about it beginning Jan. 5. So far, so good. I've lost 5 pounds since Jan 5th (13 since the fall).

More importantly, I've lost inches and wore a skirt the other night that I haven't worn in like 3 years! In addition, my cardio and strength are both noticeably improving. Of course, that will only get better once I can ride my bike more often.

I definitely plan on heading out to ride in Jersey again this year. I LOVED Allaire, and want to check out some of your other trails. It was a large group ride I went on, the only girls were myself, the Mean Irish Girl (Lauren) and Val. Great bunch of people, looking forward to riding with you all again soon!

:D Cheers!
Michele

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
I was doing really well, gym 1-2x/week for strength training and riding the trainer at night 1-2x/ week and getting out to Allaire on weekends. I managed not to gain any weight over the holidays which was my goal.

Unfortunately, Friday my hubby and I wanted to go out an enjoy the warmish weather and he decided he wanted to do a spin aroung Huber. Conditions were slick due to wet leaves on top of mostly frozen ground. Apparently his tires were not doing well and we were just about to head home when his bike went out from under him and he landed on his hip on a BIG tree root. Long story short, fractured femoral neck, emergency surgery, 3 big screws, no riding for months and months, praying it heals properly and he won't need hip replacement. John is home from hospital now but recovery will be long.

I will continue to ride and hopefully will get to ride with some of you at Allaire or Hartshorne, but we won't be doing the Cohutta 100 in April. I can't subject him to watching me train, then watching me race. That is just not fair. He is depressed enough as it is.

Plan is to just stay in shape now and see how it goes. Maybe this will be a year for some H2H races for me.

damn thats horrible to hear about his injury. im sure he will heal up good as new and quick!

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cold!!! I sweat less, and for those of you that have ridden with me.....well you understand.
With 3 little boys and husband, I do at least 10 loads of laundry a week anyway, what's a few more.

Top Bottom