How would you like to pay for bikes with pre-tax dollars?

Cannonbill

Read this!.. pre tax dollars for purchase of a bike!!! 15% tax credit for an ebike. Not policy yet, but I think some phone calls in support should be mobilized

The House's Build Back Better Act — formerly the GREEN Act — proposes $7.4 billion for e-bike tax credit over 10 years. It also would establish an $81 a month pre-tax benefit for biking to work that could be used with parking and transit and bike share, micromobility and e-bike costs.

"Every dollar invested in bicycle incentives guarantees returns for a cleaner planet, better public health, equitable mobility, and economic growth," said PeopleForBikes President and CEO Jenn Dice. "When so many of us are re-evaluating how we move and the climate impact of our transportation choices, the Build Back Better Act will help bring electric bicycles into the homes of Americans seeking an efficient and emissionless transportation option."

PeopleForBikes and The League of American Bicyclists encourage contacting congressional representatives to support the following programs and urge them not to downsize them further

rick81721

Lothar
Not a bad idea to give credits for ebikes - but doesn't look likely uncle Joe's "build back worser" bill will get passed.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
That's the same kind of crazy logic as saying the government giving people buying a $100k+ Tesla Model S $7,500 in tax refunds, was to people who didn't need that money.

Cuz only rich people and poor people will drive gas cars in 15 years. Its going to be the same 90s accords and camries driving around or some hyper car and muscle car everyone else is going to be an the latest eco shit box or battery powered escalade to taxi their one kid around.

You ride a bike to work because you have to or get to, those who get to are blessed with the luxury of bike lanes those who have to end up getting grazed by yahoos on rt 46 or ran over and left for dead leaving outback steak house after working the line for 10 hours or bussing tables. Hardly no one rides a bike to work for the convenience.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Read this!.. pre tax dollars for purchase of a bike!!! 15% tax credit for an ebike. Not policy yet, but I think some phone calls in support should be mobilized

The House's Build Back Better Act — formerly the GREEN Act — proposes $7.4 billion for e-bike tax credit over 10 years. It also would establish an $81 a month pre-tax benefit for biking to work that could be used with parking and transit and bike share, micromobility and e-bike costs.

"Every dollar invested in bicycle incentives guarantees returns for a cleaner planet, better public health, equitable mobility, and economic growth," said PeopleForBikes President and CEO Jenn Dice. "When so many of us are re-evaluating how we move and the climate impact of our transportation choices, the Build Back Better Act will help bring electric bicycles into the homes of Americans seeking an efficient and emissionless transportation option."

PeopleForBikes and The League of American Bicyclists encourage contacting congressional representatives to support the following programs and urge them not to downsize them further

Wait…. Don’t eBikes put out a hell of a lot more carbon than a regular bike? Building and manufacturing the batteries for these things depletes plenty of natural resources. Is the incentive to ditch your car and ride everywhere? What if you own an EV? So many questions…

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
That'll never pass. Why? Because I'm in the market for one. One that note, any eMTBs in NJ shops so I don't have to go mail order?

one piece crank

Back in my college days the shop owner would let us trade hours-worked for parts/bikes. Sweet deal!

It would be too good if this got passed - hello Big Easy!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Why not all bikes people commute on none ebikes
1633012575107.png

Google couldn't help me figure this out.

Mahnken

Why not all bikes people commute on none ebikes
Happy birthday.
I think they're focusing on e-bikes to try and get people that otherwise wouldn't ride bikes, to commute on a bike. For the majority of the workforce, I think bikes aren't attractive because people don't want to work that hard to get to work, and they don't want to be gross and sweaty when they get there. The e-bike kinda mitigates those worries, you won't have to work too hard, and you won't be nearly as gross when you get to work. It's also probably safer, as people can hold faster speeds and be more in line with the speed of traffic instead of having cars angrily passing them. And way slower than a motorcycle, so way less dangerous than getting a motorcycle. Even if I didn't really enjoy riding bikes, I'm sure commuting on an e-bike would be hella fun compared to driving.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Happy birthday.
I think they're focusing on e-bikes to try and get people that otherwise wouldn't ride bikes, to commute on a bike. For the majority of the workforce, I think bikes aren't attractive because people don't want to work that hard to get to work, and they don't want to be gross and sweaty when they get there. The e-bike kinda mitigates those worries, you won't have to work too hard, and you won't be nearly as gross when you get to work. It's also probably safer, as people can hold faster speeds and be more in line with the speed of traffic instead of having cars angrily passing them. And way slower than a motorcycle, so way less dangerous than getting a motorcycle. Even if I didn't really enjoy riding bikes, I'm sure commuting on an e-bike would be hella fun compared to driving.
Those who don't ride a bike to work now, likely won't ride one to work in the future, e-bike or otherwise. Most people don't live a bikeable distance from work, plus the whole working from work thing was slowly fading away prior to COVID, which has just accelerated it.

Top Bottom