How trustworthy is buying from mtbr/roadbikereview?

THATmanMANNY

Has anyone had any experience with buying from strangers through the either mtbr.com or roadbikereview.com?

How trustworthy are the people? There's no contract/guarantee like ebay right? Just based off word..

Stories?

don

Has anyone had any experience with buying from strangers through the either mtbr.com or roadbikereview.com?

How trustworthy are the people? There's no contract/guarantee like ebay right? Just based off word..

Stories?

Are the classifieds on MTBR linked to the forums? If so look up his username and see how many posts he has and if there are any issues with other users.

FWIW I've used mtbr for buying and selling stuff since 1999 (maybe even longer than that) although it been about a year since I last sold/bought something from that site.

I also use RideMonkey and Bustedspoke. I've actually had much better results overall on the bike site's classifieds rather than EvilBay.

al415

Banned
I have done it... though not for a few years. I just got a feel for the person via a few PM's / emails. The forums have expanded quite a bit, maybe a phone conversation would be in order these days. I posted a bike for sale on there a while ago and a scammer from Nigeria emailed me promising to pay via Western Union... you know the rest.

davos

timely thread

beacuse I just bought a 29er last night off of mtbr. Hope the mary ss a) arrives and b) in one piece! Anyone ever have to claim a dispute through paypal? Hoping it dosen't come to that.

BiknBen

It's no more or less secure than any other means of buying/selling. It depends on the people involved. MTBR is only providing the area on their site for the interaction to begin.

eBAY may be more trustworthy because of the feedback and whatnot but it still just comes down to the buyer and seller.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
as others have noted, it depends on the seller. From a selling standpoint, paypal is awesome (minus the fees) and once you get the payment, you jst ship. From a buying standpoint there is a lot of trust that the person will actually send it but I have not had problems. I sold/bought a bunch of stuff from observedtrials.net last year and didn't have problems.

THATmanMANNY

wow, long winded but useful summary from this guy

Yea I was just wondering cause I'm an experienced ebayer. 173 feedback, 98% positive. :D The 2% negative are the biznitch who left me negative/neutral feedback because i left them it.:mad2: Now ebay has changed though. It is MUCH MUCH better/safer. As a buyer you can't get negative feedback from the seller anymore. So you can leave them an honest feedback without repercussions. Which I just so happen just did cause some a-hole listed tires that I paid for via paypal after the auction and without notice he refunded me the $$$ and said he is selling it on mtbr for more $$$. Sucks to be that guy. :rolleyes:

Anyways, on ebay I always bid (you should too) on things that are covered by paypal for the full amount. It starts at $200 but then if the member has good feedback it will be increased to $2000 after how many so positive feedbacks they get and paypal will guaruntee you the claim if there are any issues. Just read the fine print first (i.e. the seller has to have a verified address, etc etc). But the "fine print" isn't bad at all. It actually works and no gimmicks or such. They are a HUGE company and the only way to make this work is taking a cut of your profit, so it ain't so bad. The fees they charge are to make the marketplace on ebay more secure.

But yes like Ben and others have said it all comes down to seller and buyer, but Ebay is the safest paying through paypal using your checking account because of their coverage and they won't/can't do anything much about a claim about a purchase off ebay (mtbr) unless if that seller has the money in their paypal account. If the money is still there they will put that money on hold in there account till they can prove they sent it to the buyer. However, most scam artists will just take your money, quickly transfer the money out of paypal, and NEVER use that account again so you are left with a withstanding claim with no money in the sellers account to refund you and he has successfully scammed someone else yet again.

Before paypal had the $$$ coverageon ebay, I fell for on of those situations above for $1500 like 6 years ago for something for my car. I paid guy and never heard from the guy again. Fortunately, a few months down the road I did an officer a favor on ebay (he backed out of a item I listed and I said it was cool) and I found out he was from the area of the seller (in another state too). What are the chances of that?!!! SO guess what? I asked him if he could do anything about it to return a favor. So I sent him hard copies of all the emails and contacts and he kicked the prick's door down for me and the next day I get an email asking how I want my money back! :D I wouldn't want to fall for one of those again on MTBR or whatever off ebay transaction. I always do cash and in person for things on craigs or whatever but if i'm the seller I take paypal cause I'm not a prick. =)

Ever since then cops have always been my friend. That's why I carry this sweet ass PBA ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom