How to prep new brake pads…

Nickbee

I just picked up some organic aluminum backed pads for my BB7s. What should I do (if anything) to the pads before installing them. Is there anything special I should do to break them in?

Thanks!

Disc Pads

Nick,

You can go to the SRAM website and they have instructions on how to change the pads in the Avid BB7s.

The instructions I got with my BB7s say that it may take anywhere from 20 to 40 complete stops to break in the pads. These have to be hard, firm pulls on the brake lever, not coasting stops. Go to a parking lot or field where you can pedal a short bit and slam the brakes on. Do this until you feel an increase in braking power.

smufguy

normally when the brake pads are packaged and shipped, there is a small amount of mineral oil coating. I recommend using an automotive brake parts cleaner and clean the surface of the pad matrix. Then use a really coarse sand paper and lightly sand the pad surface and dust off the debris using the brake parts cleaner once more.

The reason you use the sandpaper is to get an uneven surface on the pad surface to get an initial bite on the rotor. This also helps to lower a possibility of glazing on the rotor and the pad which drastically reduces the stopping potential.

Then follow the instructions on the manual to install the pads properly using proper grease on contact points.

The reason you use short hard brakes to break in the pads is to induce the heat into the matrix and have the material be shocked so it does not glaze on the surface.

The original question was for organic brake pads. Would you use the automotive brake parts cleaner and sandpaper treatment for sintered and resin brake pads also?

smufguy

organic, metal, ceramic, etc compounds used in automotive and bicycling pads can tolerate cleaners with no problem. The Resin is usually the the bonding material that is used in conjunction with the particles to form the pad matrix. The head transfer and holding capacity of both the pad types (automotive and bicycling) are based on similar principles and hold similar characteristics because of the size, rotor speed, vehicular speed, cooling structure, pad and rotor thickness.

I would not worry much about using automotive cleaners on bicycle parts. ;)

Thanks, those are the types of answers I like. If you're a beginner, how is it you know so much about the intricacies of disc brakes?

(I don't eat meat, fish, eggs, or dairy.;))

smufguy

Rosy - My knowledge about technical aspect of components come from the automotive realm. Principle application is similar to all vehicles and thus certain concepts are identical.

Even tho I can rip apart a car and put it all back together, I had to learn a lot before I attempted that. Same thing goes when I changed the Headset on my bike. Took me a week to read about two dozen websites and made my own tools to safely install my headset.

This forum is my pace. Not too technical and not too basic. Its intermediate to expert, in a sense I could understand what everyone has to say. ;)

( I eat meat, fish, eggs and dairy :) )

Last edited:
Smuf,

I appreciated your response up until the last line:cry:;).

Over the years as I taught myself how to work on my bikes, I too had to do a lot of reading (and re-reading), but I used books and magazines. The internet wasn't available to me, seeing how I started in the 1980's. But now I can take a bike apart down to it's last ball bearing and bolt, and put it back together again. I even take apart my suspension forks. The only things I won't touch are carbon fiber (plastic), and hydraulic disc brakes. When I do the work on my bikes, at least I know it's getting done right (I've had a couple of unpleasant experiences with some LBS's).

I look forward to your future input in "Shop Talk":popcorn:

smufguy

Way to go Nick!

Hey Rosy, thats pretty cool you could disassemble a bike and throw them back in order. I hope I dont have to ever attempt that aside from small swaps here and there. The biggest one I am trying to do is acquire the knowledge of tuning. I spent $70 last month to get a tune up and the bike still rides the same. It was done here in BoundBrook. So now, from mechanical, I am going to technical aspect of the bike to form it the way I ride it rather than mold myself around the bike. ;)

I am sure I will be enjoying your inputs from your experience as well :)

Smuf, bikes are really not all that complicated once you get into them.

I totally agree with you about tweaking your bike to your personal preferences and style of riding. And also, to your standards. I know when I go out riding that my bike is functioning as it's suppossed to. And as long as I'm dilligent about their up-keep, I don't worry that I'll have problems out on the trail or road. And should the:hitsfan:, I know I can deal with it :), especially since I ride alone a lot.

I can pretty much guarantee that you'll have a major :D on your face if you take the time and effort to learn as much as you can about your bike. It got to be, and still is, addictive for me to learn all I can about these fabulous 2 wheeled works of art! That's why I'm so excited the North American Handmade Bicycle Show is on the east coast this year. I can't wait to see it!:popcorn:

Top Bottom