How to make sure you're safe on the road...

xc62701

Well for a couple of weeks I've been pondering just how to make it safer to ride on the road. Well I came up with the idea that if I was noticed more then it would be safer...you make the call...

Attachments

• 1203082016a.jpg
    1203082016a.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 101
  • 1203082016b.jpg
    1203082016b.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 1203082036a.jpg
    1203082036a.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 112

ArmyOfNone

Well for a couple of weeks I've been pondering just how to make it safer to ride on the road. Well I came up with the idea that if I was noticed more then it would be safer...you make the call...

Yes!!! That is how you do it! But how did you do it?

walter

Fourth Party
To be really noticed you need to get those lights that blink in sync with the blasting Trans Siberian Orchestra cd, then people will know whats up!!

xc62701

Yes!!! That is how you do it! But how did you do it?

Hehehe it's my secret and I'll never tell! Actually I found a company online that specializes in battery powered lights for centerpieces etc... and they are pretty cheap. So one set for each wheel and two sets for the frame and voila!

The best part is I just took it around the block for a little test ride. I was stopping traffic and getting tons of smiles, thumbs ups, and honks...lol. I also did get something thrown at me - bottle of water?- it hit my ass as the car sped off. Good thing it was on my fixie or they would have had a broken window shortly afterwards. All in all it was fun making a spectical of myself(not that it's a new concept to me...:rolleyes:)

xc62701

I was wondering if I would get pulled over by the cops as well. Do you think they could actually pull me over for that? What would the charge be? Being too creative? :D

THATmanMANNY

Very nice

Way to keep the holiday spirits alive :D

Motorcycle helmets have battery free LEDs that you can slap on. The LEDs light up from the wind turning magnets

They should make lights that light up from wind generation for bike wheels/frame. they probably do. Or else we should do it! I know there are enough enginerds here willing to take on that challenge ;)

THATmanMANNY

you could also get them lighting valve caps that the fart cannon cars usually have :rofl:

They come in red to complete you holiday light kit

J-Dro

Way to keep the holiday spirits alive :D

Motorcycle helmets have battery free LEDs that you can slap on. The LEDs light up from the wind turning magnets

They should make lights that light up from wind generation for bike wheels/frame. they probably do. Or else we should do it! I know there are enough enginerds here willing to take on that challenge ;)

Dyno hubs are pretty common especially in Europe. They generate electricity by the motion of your wheel (hub). Even Shimano makes one. They are more reliable then trying to use wind, since that method doesn't work well at low speeds. Dyno hubs have a reasonable output even at slower speeds, like if you are stopping for traffic or something. I helped a friend build a dyno powered LED light that kicks ass.

xc62701

Sweet! There's some good ideas out there. It makes it all worth while when you see people smiling or laughing and pointing... I'm thinking I need a couple more sets for the frame.

Top Bottom