How to adjust EBB

Sircrashalot

Noob to the EBB on my new SS & I think it is time to adjust the chain tension a bit. Saw the post in separate thread about making sure to adjust at the point where there is the most chain tension. Is there anything else important that isnt obvious? Looks like I have a couple allen bolts to loosen a bit on one side, then just turn?

Finally, how tight do I want it? ( :rofl: oh boy this is gonna get some interesting replies)

THATmanMANNY

It all depends on the EBB. Usually there are bolts to hold the BB from moving and then slots to help you rotate the BB. On my MarySS the bolts to hold the BB are from the bottom of frame. On the contrary it was different on a fella I helped out on the trails of his GF Rig.

I got your back. You're not the only one who wonders how tight to make it :D

BiknBen

Sircrashalot said:
Noob to the EBB on my new SS & I think it is time to adjust the chain tension a bit. Saw the post in separate thread about making sure to adjust at the point where there is the most chain tension. Is there anything else important that isn't obvious? Looks like I have a couple allen bolts to loosen a bit on one side, then just turn?

There are different types of Eccentrics. http://sheldonbrown.com/synchain.html#eccentrics
What kind do you have?

Sircrashalot said:
Finally, how tight do I want it?

http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html#tension

Make it tight enough that the chain can't come off and the drive train doesn't bind when rotating the cranks. If too tight, you may hear a crunching-like sound in the freewheel. That is the sound of the bearings binding. That is too tight.

Sircrashalot

Thanks Ben...that site has great ss info. I will have to go out to the garage & Check it out to make sure, but from memory I think its the set screw type. Its on a stock build Cannondale F29 from Jdog's place....

Panhead

On the Rig there's a lock screw that I take off. Under that is the Allen bolt that you have to loosen, unscrew it a couple of turns and grab your trusty drift pin and beater. Whack the bolt which will loosen up the wedge, freeing the whole works. I tighten the chain so there is about 1/8" slack then tighten the BB bolt TIGHT. Don't know what set up is on a C-Dale though.

Top Bottom