How the hell are we supposed to retire?

rick81721

Lothar
wow - we are now using 2020 as a benchmark to decide how prices changed from "12 months ago"

don't think i'll be making any critical decisions on that data

Same here, but need to keep watching to see if this is true:

“This is likely to be the peak for annual inflation readings, which should fade slowly over the next year back towards the pre-Covid trend,” said senior economist Ben Ayers of Nationwide Economics.

rick81721

Lothar
Talk about inflation - amtrak really jacked up their autotrain prices. Cost right now for 1 way from FL to VA w/2 vehicles in early July is 30% higher than what we paid last Dec to come down here. Usually peak pricing is around Xmas and prices in the summer are much lower. Guess they are sticking it to the geezers!

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Talk about inflation - amtrak really jacked up their autotrain prices. Cost right now for 1 way from FL to VA w/2 vehicles in early July is 30% higher than what we paid last Dec to come down here. Usually peak pricing is around Xmas and prices in the summer are much lower. Guess they are sticking it to the geezers!

Rode with a customer at CR yesterday. They bought their retirement home in FL 2 1/2 years ago. Hadn't sold their NJ home yet. Prices in his FL development went thru the roof. Just sold the FL house for 80% profit. Back in NJ till the bubble pops.

rick81721

Lothar
Rode with a customer at CR yesterday. They bought their retirement home in FL 2 1/2 years ago. Hadn't sold their NJ home yet. Prices in his FL development went thru the roof. Just sold the FL house for 80% profit. Back in NJ till the bubble pops.

We bought 4 years ago and could do the same but no interest. Our son will sell this place

JerseyPete

Do you take this to save miles on the car and fatigue on the driver? It doesn't save time, does it? I have taken ferries in the past. No time saver but a little relaxing break is nice.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Do you take this to save miles on the car and fatigue on the driver? It doesn't save time, does it? I have taken ferries in the past. No time saver but a little relaxing break is nice.
We took the Autotrain down to Florida one year only because it was fun and my son loves to ride on trains. It didn't save much time but did save on fatigue and we got to have fun on the train. We got one of the family cabins.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
A few years back I took the train from NYC down toto New Orleans in a private room.

VERY RELAXING. Entirely different experience than flying. 23 hours of I remember but you have the whole day to be productive, as opposed to the constant stress of flying.

$10 for the bike in the luggage car in a huge bike box. Much better than a plane.

With the cost of the room all the meals were included in the dining car which was pretty neat.

Price was really high. Worth it for the experience.

rick81721

Lothar

Sure it saves time. The fastest you could drive would be 22 hours without stopping overnight somewhere. But who wants to go through that torture? The train for us is 27 hours door to door. Breaking up the drive to two days (one night in a hotel) takes about 34 hours. If we drive, we do it in 3 legs (2 nights in a hotel) which takes a total of about 54 hours. So the autotrain cuts our time in half.

rick81721

Lothar
A few years back I took the train from NYC down toto New Orleans in a private room.

VERY RELAXING. Entirely different experience than flying. 23 hours of I remember but you have the whole day to be productive, as opposed to the constant stress of flying.

$10 for the bike in the luggage car in a huge bike box. Much better than a plane.

With the cost of the room all the meals were included in the dining car which was pretty neat.

Price was really high. Worth it for the experience.

We always spring for the bedroom with private bathroom. Totally worth it.

rick81721

Lothar
-I never used our bathroom as it was in our living space. We used the one in coach.
-Private room is worth it as I felt everyone in coach was there because they didn't want to fly due to warrants out for their arrest.

We are always amazed at how many geezers do the autotrain in the coach seats. It's gotta be brutal.

Top Bottom