How the hell are we supposed to retire?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
or lose almost everything, which makes it difficult to recover -

at one point cisco was the largest market cap in the world - outpacing GE.
it went from $80 to $20 in almost no time (the MCI/Worldcom fiasco.) if ya think you are good - go the options route because
you can play both directions. and don't sell a put without a foot.

Stocks can tank badly, the market, not so much.

My kid made his first stock investment a couple days after he turned 18 last Feb. His choice - Nike. Rounded out with , VFIAX.
My son started just after the lockdown. He thinks the stock market is just free money.

Mahnken

But I agree @Patrick, you can lose almost everything. Good risk management is a must. I only have a 30% win rate, but my losers are small and my winners are big.

Mahnken

Aren't most funds run by computers that make trades by the split second?
I honestly don't really know how they work. Pretty sure I read somewhere that if they want to get out of a position, it's hard to do quickly because they have such large positions that trying to get out quick would lead to the stocks price plummeting and they would lose a ton of money on the slippage of the price alone. So it takes them a bit of time to get out without losing too much. Again, I'm new to this, so I could be mistaken.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did we ever get an update from @rlb on his opinion and if it's changed since the first post in this thread?

Reactions: rlb

Fire Lord Jim

So what you're saying is I should go YOLO and 100% stocks in my IRA/401K?
Maybe. An IRA or 401k is just one investment vehicle. Your retirement is based on all of your assets. You could be 100% equities in your IRA, and 100% fixed income in your after tax account, and 100% cash in your mattress. Doing asset allocation within a single account makes little sense, but doing it across your total assets makes a lot of sense.

I prefer to have a bit of each asset class inside the IRA, so that I can rebalance to achieve my desired asset allocation, but doing all the moves within the IRA, so as not to trigger tax on the rebalancing.

rlb

Did we ever get an update from @rlb on his opinion and if it's changed since the first post in this thread?
No I haven't really chimed in much, all the financial shit goes over my head for the most part. The early sentiment in this thread was to just stick it out for the long-haul (as far as 401k is concerned) which I've done, and its been paying off for the most part. I bumped up my contributions and rode out the dips that we all hit and have been doing well overall. Likewise, I'm hoping we all made out on the same hot market. I'm up 13% on the year and 57% since this thread started so I guess I have no room to complain now.

Thanks to hitting the refi wave at the right time we should have the house paid off early, by the time the kids graduate high school so that will help too. Probably should see a financial person one of these days, but aint nobody got time for that.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
This was the most depressing part of the article.

"That was the case again last month, as used car and truck prices leaped 10.5%, accounting for more than one-third of all the price index’s gains. For the 12-month period, used car and truck prices have burst 45.2% higher."

The "cheap" Cayman I was shopping for keeps going up in price. Really not interested in buying at it's peak before they come back to reality.

ebarker9

The "cheap" Cayman I was shopping for keeps going up in price. Really not interested in buying at it's peak before they come back to reality.

You aren't kidding, just looked and prices are up more than 50% from what I paid for mine a couple of years ago.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I'm hoping to stick it out another 12 months to let the car prices settle down before I get a new, or new to me, vehicle. The prices are just crazy but people are paying those prices or else they wouldn't be that high. I'm glad I have a "spare" vehicle to help me hold out in case one of our other vehicles poops the bed.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The prices are just crazy but people are paying those prices or else they wouldn't be that high.

My wife's car is dying and needs to be replaced. Not really much option other than to buy a car at inflated prices. She went to Subaru of Morristown today with her parents and wants a WRX. They wouldn't let her test drive it though, which seems kind of ridiculous to me.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
My wife's car is dying and needs to be replaced. Not really much option other than to buy a car at inflated prices. She went to Subaru of Morristown today with her parents and wants a WRX. They wouldn't let her test drive it though, which seems kind of ridiculous to me.
WTF!! Did you give a reason? Didn't want to rack up the miles? Didn't think she was a serious buyer? Afraid she'll burn up the clutch? Or they're just being @$$holes?

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
WTF!! Did you give a reason? Didn't want to rack up the miles? Didn't think she was a serious buyer? Afraid she'll burn up the clutch? Or they're just being @$$holes?

Didn't want to add miles to the car was the reason they gave her. I told her that if she is sold on the car then to tell them we'll put down a deposit but that we aren't buying the car until she drives it. We also have another Subaru place nearby that we can check with. I personally hate everything about the car buying experience.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Didn't want to add miles to the car was the reason they gave her. I told her that if she is sold on the car then to tell them we'll put down a deposit but that we aren't buying the car until she drives it. We also have another Subaru place nearby that we can check with. I personally hate everything about the car buying experience.

I know the market is different right now, when I was shopping I got dicked around when I bought my subi. I ended up dropping my info on subaru's site so dealers would reach out to me and had them email their offers and kept forwarding their offers to each other until the offers flattened out. At that point I waited till the end of the month and messaged them all back to see if they were willing to work on a quote I already had. White plains came in hard I guess they were on the edge of closing their month out in a bonus. Coming off the lot I was at 17k including financing but pre tax. They sold it at a loss, hope you have better luck.

Over the Bars

The car market is horrible right now im pissed as hell I have no choice and need a new truck someone tboned me and totaled my current truck fully paid off only 55k miles. I'm going to have to pay msrp and the only ones available have like 15-20k in upgrades and packages I don't need.

Top Bottom