How Much Does Locking Out Suspension Help?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just wondering how many people lock out the suspension on climbs? I never do this and I wonder if I should. Climbing on the dual-suspension is a bear sometimes and I do wonder if I'm losing too much power not locking out at least the rear suspension. Does it make that much of a difference? What about the front? Thoughts, experiences, and of course corn-on-the-cob recipes appreciated.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it has to make sense otherwise companies like fox and rockshox wouldn't put so much R&D into making shocks that didn't bob when one pedals, right?

i try to remember to do it, but in all honesty, flipping a switch isn't going to make or break my climbing efficiency.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah I don't know either way. But I imagine it's the guys like us, who can't afford to lose that 5-10% up the hill, that need it most. The stronger guys can afford to burn a little more but can we? The rear shock locks out really easily on my bike. Front would be tougher on-the-fly. But rear is like 2 seconds. Maybe I should try it...

Spylab

Actually, the shock itself is not what controls bob. All the R&D in the world isn't going to make a shock efficient uphill on a single-pivot bike with poorly chosen points.

I have a Fox Float in the rear which I have used XC both with and without ProPedal on- it does make consideranle difference, even though the Maestro suspension design sucks up a lot of the pedal stress. I have never worked with a fork or shock with a full "lock out" feature (i.e. travel is reduced to 0), but tightening up the fork and shock makes climbing much easier, as the pedaling isn't being absorbed by the suspension.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My rear has 3 settings, 1 of them is full lockout. The other 2 are...I don't know, Lenny and Squiggy I guess? I suppose I should try to figure out what the 2 settings mean. Front shock has at least 2, again, I don't know. I'm just usually content to set and go but the more I ride the more I should think about it.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ok, i lied. i do flip that little switch all the time. i was thinking about it and realized that every time i climb i flip it. a hard tail would really simplify my life.

J-Dro

On my full squish bike, I leave the RP-23 Pro-pedal switched on in the #2 position about 85% of the time. If I'm starting a long choppy dowhill section, then I might switch Pro-pedal off and run the shock wide open. This shock doesn't have a lock-out, just different degrees of Pro-pedal.

As for my front fork, I never lock out my full squish fork since I'm seated on the climbs and my weight is far anough back not to cause the front end to bob much. On my SS, I use the lockout on just about every climb since I'm out of the saddle in sprint mode. The handle bar mounted remote lock-out is worth every penny here.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
definitely necessary on a singlespeed. just about every hill and smooth section i lock it out. i would love to have the handlebar mounted switch, but manage pretty well just reaching down and turning it. takes two seconds at most.

ArmyOfNone

I only have a lockout on the SS. I use it for almost every extended type climb. I first started using it at Lewis Morris and immediately noticed i climbed w/ more efficiency. I think it is necessary for the out of the saddle climbs. The only climbs i avoid using it on are the chunky techy climbs. There it is nice to have the wheel roll over stuff instead of bouncing you around.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Huh. Good feedback guys thanks. I guess if I lug all this technology around I might as well try to use it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeff,

What front fork do you have that has a remote lockout?

Maurice

That's a good question Norm.

Personally I tend to use the lock-out only on smoother terrain or road only and in climbs. As soon as there are bumps or it's a bit rocky it's best to leave the fork do its job. The problem with lockout at the fork (fox) is that I'll forget it's on. Good thing there's the blowout valve that will still soak up the bigger hits, because sometimes it's just not possible to turn it back off while riding.
Oh and that's only for the fork, the rear shock will stay in the middle position 99% of the time. On the Yeti the suspension remains active yet climbs like a hard-tail in that setting.

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maurice,

So the big climb at RV - inside the park. Do you lock out up that?

Jeff - thanks.

I looked at my shock last night and it's been in the Pro-Pedal position for the life of the bike. I'll have to check out my other options Saturday.

ArmyOfNone

I'd like to see what maurice would say, but that climb at RV is one that I wouldnt use the lockout. Being rigid would knock you around a bit too much.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd like to see what maurice would say, but that climb at RV is one that I wouldnt use the lockout. Being rigid would knock you around a bit too much.

You think? It's not like you go that fast. Well you and I don't, especially when we're walking. I think those of us us who run juuuuust on the edge of spinning out in the rocks probably could use that extra power/rigidness that locking it out can provide.

I will say that I cannot climb nearly as well on the FS bike as I could with the POS full-rigid 5 years ago. I ride off-road way more now and probably weight 25 pounds less, at least. Opposing that is the fact the FS bike is just so much heavier than the FR.

ArmyOfNone

Well its hard for me to say exactly bc i have not had the chance to use the lockout there. For me on that big climb i really had a tough time keeping my front wheel down and on my line. But that fork is not great either so that could have alot to do w/ it.

Maurice

Maurice,

So the big climb at RV - inside the park. Do you lock out up that?

Jeff - thanks.

I looked at my shock last night and it's been in the Pro-Pedal position for the life of the bike. I'll have to check out my other options Saturday.

RV, no lock out anywhere. Most parks in NJ don't warrant this for me.

You should look at how "smart fork" fads come and go. Fox stopped making Terralogic I believe because people prefer an actual lock out or nothing. Other companies had followed the same path before. Interesting.

Top Bottom