How Much Does Locking Out Suspension Help?

J-Dro

I actually do not, I probably should. I used to and it never really lost any pressure between so I left it as it was. But I may have just set it low at one point and never bothered with it.

Good question about servicing. When was the last time you had it serviced?

Use the rubber O-ring to see how much travel you are getting. Or if you are bottoming out, which is a sure sign of low pressure. I usually have to put some air in my RP-23 every couple of weeks... not alot but even 10psi can make a difference in how the shock performs. The air chamber in these shocks is very small so even wide temperature swings can change pressure quite a bit. Remember, PV=nRT.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Use the rubber O-ring to see how much travel you are getting. Or if you are bottoming out, which is a sure sign of low pressure. I usually have to put some air in my RP-23 every couple of weeks... not alot but even 10psi can make a difference in how the shock performs. The air chamber in these shocks is very small so even wide temperature swings can change pressure quite a bit. Remember, PV=nRT.

The O-ring always drops off but I don't bottom out. Still the amount of traction I gained in locking it out is pretty remarkable so I think I need to revisit what pressure I keep it at. I had a class in college, Thermal Physics. By far the hardest class I ever took. We had exams where the averages were in the teens. Just incomprehensibly difficult.

J-Dro

The O-ring always drops off but I don't bottom out. Still the amount of traction I gained in locking it out is pretty remarkable so I think I need to revisit what pressure I keep it at. I had a class in college, Thermal Physics. By far the hardest class I ever took. We had exams where the averages were in the teens. Just incomprehensibly difficult.

It seems to me that if the O-ring always is dropping off, by definition you are bottoming out.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It seems to me that if the O-ring always is dropping off, by definition you are bottoming out.

I once got some air in the negative chamber, or something like that. When that happened I would go over things and BAM BAM BAM it would bottom out. After I fixed it I never have that happen anymore. So I compare it to that which is why I say it doesn't bottom out. Obviously it either does, just not so violently, or it comes pretty damn close.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK, so while we're here, what's the theory on rebound? As fast as possible?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well since it's my thread I guess I can go off-topic.

I've been thinking about a 29er but apparently a lot of people have problems going back & forth between bikes. So it's almost like you need to go fully with one or the other. Some people can do it but most have trouble with it. Having said that if you find the buy 1/get 1 gimmie a ring!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh

I've been thinking about a 29er but apparently a lot of people have problems going back & forth between bikes. So it's almost like you need to go fully with one or the other. Some people can do it but most have trouble with it. Having said that if you find the buy 1/get 1 gimmie a ring!

To keep this thread off topic :D

That is probably right, one of my buddies has been riding 29FR for a while now and he freakin' rides everything like if he was on a FS, but funny thing... the 2 or 3 times he has gone out with his old FS, his riding has been a complete fcuk up! :D :D I always break his balls about it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

That is probably right, one of my buddies has been riding 29FR for a while now and he freakin' rides everything like if he was on a FS, but funny thing... the 2 or 3 times he has gone out with his old FS, his riding has been a complete fcuk up! :D :D I always break his balls about it.

That makes it pretty tough really. Unless you can find the perfect 29er it becomes a pretty expensive move.

Mike679

Good thread, Norm.

I basically have the same bike as you and can count on one hand how may times I have used the lock-out function on the rear shock. I generally keep the shock in Pro Pedal mode except for long descents or very rocky areas when I'll open it up all the way. I find that I have more control and traction on climbs (particularly on rocky terrain) w/ active suspension than I did when I was on a hard tail, but then again I'm not really going for speed as much as you probably are.

If you go over to the Specialized board on mtbr, there's a lot of maligning of the Triad shock, and a few people have managed to fit an RP23 to the Stumpjumper by purchasing one through PUSH ($500 or something like that)or finding one from a Cannondale Rush (same eye to eye measurement and shock stroke, I believe).

Maybe something like an Epic or Brain-equipped Stumpy as a new bike upgrade for you? Or better yet, 29er Stumpjumper w/ a Brain?

Mike

Last edited:

Shaggz

A strong 7

well you opened the door - i was very impressed with how well jake did on the mary at mahlon this past sunday - climbing, gnarly technical and descending, he really rocked that thing.

walter

Fourth Party
well you opened the door - i was very impressed with how well jake did on the mary at mahlon this past sunday - climbing, gnarly technical and descending, he really rocked that thing.

not that I'm biased, but the mary is just an incredible bike for the money. I had a Klein Attitude several years ago that was an insane climber, the mary squashes the Klein hands down.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good thread, Norm.

I basically have the same bike as you and can count on one hand how may times I have used the lock-out function on the rear shock. I generally keep the shock in Pro Pedal mode except for long descents or very rocky areas when I'll open it up all the way. I find that I have more control and traction on climbs (particularly on rocky terrain) w/ active suspension than I did when I was on a hard tail, but then again I'm not really going for speed as much as you probably are.

If you go over to the Specialized board on mtbr, there's a lot of maligning of the Triad shock, and a few people have managed to fit an RP23 to the Stumpjumper by purchasing one through PUSH ($500 or something like that)or finding one from a Cannondale Rush (same eye to eye measurement and shock stroke, I believe).

Maybe something like an Epic or Brain-equipped Stumpy as a new bike upgrade for you?

Mike

Good comments Mike. I don't think I'm upgrading the bike or shock any time soon, though it's always a possibility at some point. I have read about the Triad getting lambasted, and I did have to take it apart because it was slightly stuck down. But not fully so I was able to deal with it myself which was nice.

Strange that you had more traction with the Pro Pedal. That's the first thing I noticed was that traction was much better locked out. Maybe I just have a really uneven pedal stroke and it's amplified. Or maybe it's far too soft. Or a combination of both. Before I start thinking too much of combing eBay for alternate shocks I'm going to see what i can get out of this one.

I'm sure I'll add to the thread before too long.

ArmyOfNone

Norm do you ride SS much or at all? If you are really riding just one bike you should hop on a few 29ers and see what you think. I just gotta look at the new C-Dales the other day and there are about 4 different F 29er models. Some are really super.

Top Bottom