How Much Does Locking Out Suspension Help?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
when maurice makes comments like this and i feel like i should get back on a tricycle. and stay there. :( boo-hoo for me.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
RV, no lock out anywhere. Most parks in NJ don't warrant this for me.

You should look at how "smart fork" fads come and go. Fox stopped making Terralogic I believe because people prefer an actual lock out or nothing. Other companies had followed the same path before. Interesting.

Well I need every advantage I can get.

Don't know about fads, just what I have on my bike.

Maurice

when maurice makes comments like this and i feel like i should get back on a tricycle. and stay there. :( boo-hoo for me.

Jake, what makes you say that?? But if you want a tricycle I can loan you my daughter's. It's a cool Giant tricycle with mushroom grips and a bell. No lock out on it though. She picks up some decent speed in the house with it, 'The Shining' style.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So as an update to this, I rode Chimney Rock Sunday and tried locking the suspension out on a few of the climbs there. To say it helped would be an understatement. I felt a pretty big difference with the rear shock locked out. Much more power translated, and my traction was much-much-much better. I'm thinking the Pro-Pedal setting on this shock just doesn't work like it's supposed to.

After I did it on 2 climbs on the blue trails, we did some red trails and I couldn't help but use it everywhere. Riding up any hill with it not locked was like riding on a mattress. Front shock not as big a deal since I generally don't stand on the FS. But I did try it a few times. Not sure if that is such a big deal or not.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fox Triad I believe. Or Float. It's the same thing just a special name for the '06 Specialized. I believe they went with a different shock after that but I'm not sure.

walter

Fourth Party
Fox Triad I believe. Or Float. It's the same thing just a special name for the '06 Specialized. I believe they went with a different shock after that but I'm not sure.

norm, triad on the 06 and 07's up to the elite in 07, then on up was the brain
triads 3 dials should be open, lockout, propedal. I dont use rear sus. so I dont know what this compares to, probably an RP3.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sounds about right. I went from full-rigid to full-suspension. Now I'm feeling like I want to try splitting the difference. There are indeed 3 dials as you mention.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ah. I think triad=flaot, but had a different name for the DumpTrucker. But wtf do I know? I just learned how to use the lock-out 2 days ago.

walter

Fourth Party
Ah. I think triad=flaot, but had a different name for the DumpTrucker. But wtf do I know? I just learned how to use the lock-out 2 days ago.

The bottom line floar only has a rebound adjustment, that would be the Float R. I dont know if they make just a float

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
The bottom line floar only has a rebound adjustment, that would be the Float R. I dont know if they make just a float

They do make a FLOAT or used to. That is what I have on my Kokopelli. It doesn't have a lock out, but I don't miss it. I always try to keep it around 180-190. Pretty solid shock, never serviced it and still going strong. It outlasted the frame :D !

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
They do make a FLOAT or used to. That is what I have on my Kokopelli. It doesn't have a lock out, but I don't miss it. I always try to keep it around 180-190. Pretty solid shock, never serviced it and still going strong. It outlasted the frame :D !

You know it very well may be the case I have the rear shock far too soft. Yet another thing to check out.

Shaggz

A strong 7
do you check the pressure before each ride? i am surprised that the rp3 loses 30 plus pounds of pressure between rides. not to TJ norm, but general question - is this normal? i have noticed that the rear has been feeling a bit dead recently, could this indicate that the shock needs to be serviced?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I actually do not, I probably should. I used to and it never really lost any pressure between so I left it as it was. But I may have just set it low at one point and never bothered with it.

Good question about servicing. When was the last time you had it serviced?

Shaggz

A strong 7
I actually do not, I probably should. I used to and it never really lost any pressure between so I left it as it was. But I may have just set it low at one point and never bothered with it.

Good question about servicing. When was the last time you had it serviced?
uh, never.

Top Bottom