How much do you believe in Insurance?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
The discussion in the Retirement thread got me thinking about insurance. I checked the budget my wife did for the Financial Advisor.

Between medical, dental, vision, disability, life, auto, homeowners.....we spend $20k per year on insurance. I think it's nuts. Wife likes to be prepared for the "what if" scenario. Makes her great at her job, but a pain to deal with.

roc

The discussion in the Retirement thread got me thinking about insurance. I checked the budget my wife did for the Financial Advisor.

Between medical, dental, vision, disability, life, auto, homeowners.....we spend $20k per year on insurance. I think it's nuts. Wife likes to be prepared for the "what if" scenario. Makes her great at her job, but a pain to deal with.
I’m over 20k, with just health insurance, without dental and vision, for my family. I’d say you are doing pretty good there.

rick81721

Lothar

Out of curiosity I calculated ours - almost the exact same number. And we are paying nothing for life and disability. Basically the cost of living in high insurance cost states like NJ and FL.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
That’s a pretty good rate, what’s your ins co? I don’t think it’s acceptable, but what are the options?

Aetna from my wife's job, there are alternatives and working examples but I don't want to scope creep unless OP does.

rick81721

Lothar
how do you figure? I paid more for insurance in the Obama years than I do now. I was paying about 3k a month for a family of 4. Now it’s down to “only” $2200/month!

Obamacare did nothing to reduce the cost of health insurance - kept going up. Did increase access tho.

Mahnken

We have a failing healthcare system, and the root of the problem is the terrible health of our population. Until the government/healthcare industry starts to focus on that instead of putting bandaids on the symptoms, costs will just keep going up. Doesn't matter who's in the white house.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
We have a failing healthcare system, and the root of the problem is the terrible health of our population. Until the government/healthcare industry starts to focus on that instead of putting bandaids on the symptoms, costs will just keep going up. Doesn't matter who's in the white house.

Excuse me, how profitable would curing things be, repeat customer vs one time customer? If you want that we need public hospitals to have a larger footprint where care is the focus and not profit.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
check out how much of the premiums goes to the legal system and settlements.
and healthcare and insurance are both for-profit industries.

Top Bottom