How many bikes are necessary?

xc62701

In your mind, how many are necessary? I always try to keep my quiver limited but I find more and more reasons to keep every bike I have. I think I have a problem...

So far I'm thinking this:
I need -
Race MTB Bike 29'er
Race MTB 26'er(as a backup for the prior)
Rigid 26'er SS MTB as a cheap no frills fun toy with little needed maintenance(backup backup)
Road Fixie - commuting and winter workouts
Road Beater - for workouts and training
Road Race Bike - for those special events
Cross Bike - for racing or training

The only thing I don't currently own is a cross bike and I do have a 29'er SS coming that I can't really find unnecessary. Is this a sign that I have bike issues?

J-Dro

What about a big travel non race bike for that hucker in you trying to get out?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
use the cross bike instead of a beater road bike, do you really need a fixie also?

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ahhhhhh, damn, does this mean my bank account is going to have a steady drain on it now that im really getting into the sport????

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
damn it, andi thought i was gonna make it through college w/ relatively litte debt, DAMN IT :cry::cry::cry::cry:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
To reach true enlightenment one can not desire so many possessions. ;)

One mountain bike, any type brings full happiness. :) ... yet, if you ride them all, consider them part of the family and worthy cause.

I happen to have 4 mountain bikes and 2 road plus a share in a few tandems. ....Race FS, 5 inch trail, SS, trailer hauler, road and ss road beater. Maybe excessive, but I do ride and love them all. When one sits idol, I find it a new home for it.

al415

Banned
At the moment I have:
2 x 26" singlespeeds
1 x Cyclocross bike
1 x Road Bike

Several other "projects" in the basement but that is my core group above.

By the Summer I want to have trimmed that down to:
1 x 29" singlespeed
1 x Road Bike

I have already started the process, I recently sold a nice road frame and my track bike. I could rationalize any number of bicycles but the two I plan to hold on to meet all my real "needs"

xc62701

To reach true enlightenment one can not desire so many possessions. ;)

One mountain bike, any type brings full happiness. :) ... yet, if you ride them all, consider them part of the family and worthy cause.

I happen to have 4 mountain bikes and 2 road plus a share in a few tandems. ....Race FS, 5 inch trail, SS, trailer hauler, road and ss road beater. Maybe excessive, but I do ride and love them all. When one sits idol, I find it a new home for it.

Exactly that's the thing - I ride em all.

xc62701

i know, but you don't need that and a beater road, they can be one and the same. One bike gone, done.

I thought so too but they both have their function. If there is a place to skimp it probably would be there.

cyclocrossfool

2 mountain :1-full sus. 1- rigid rear. 4 cyclocross : 2 located in NY and 2 in NJ .a few road bikes in NY and a few more in NJ.

olegbabich

1 Old hardtail for around town and ride to work
1 new 29 ss
1 old all mountain bike-(when my ass is sore from 29 hardtail or I need to go faster than 14mph on the trail)
1 I'm doing my first home build-(cross country full suspension SS 26)

ArmyOfNone

29 SS
Road Bike
Fixie
2 CX Machines

I go back and forth in my head many days about having a geared MTB. I love my SS and cant justify such a thing. Down the road I think.

I also am dying to have a SS CX bike. That will come first.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
In your mind, how many are necessary? ..... Is this a sign that I have bike issues?

That's easy! It's always just one more than you have!

It's only an issue if you dwell on it... worse if someone in your family dwells on it:eek:

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
26er full susp
29er SS
raod bike...
i ride all of them just not the 29er, that first ride is sunday. but i was getting the same stuff from friends "how many bikes do you need?" then i try to explain but 3 is fine for now

don

I'd like to get my list a little lower but each bike doesn't have any overlap.

1. USB Molly Maguire - 24" DJ rig
2. Sinister Gruitr - 26" sussy rig
3. Rhygin - 26" Rigid SS
4. Kona Paddy Wagon - SS Road bike
5. Evil Soveriegn - 26" SS HT - I keep this in FL and it's used for just riding to the beach, running errands, riding some street narrow stuff or thrown in the car and occasionally ridden on FL singletrack

Top Bottom