How many adjust fork while riding?

JerseyPete

I've seen remote adjust and the standard knob/lever on the fork tube adjust. Some sales people say the ability to adjust while riding is a must.
For those with remote on the bars or the lever thing on their fork, how often do any of you use it while riding?
All the times I've seen people riding, I've never seen anyone reach down and adjust their forks.
Does anyone here do it?

I've seen remote adjust and the standard knob/lever on the fork tube adjust. Some sales people say the ability to adjust while riding is a must.
For those with remote on the bars or the lever thing on their fork, how often do any of you use it while riding?
All the times I've seen people riding, I've never seen anyone reach down and adjust their forks.
Does anyone here do it?

Your talking about a lockout... If you have the lockout on your bars you would do it more often than you believe...

Yep, a lock out. I would guess on fire roads and some climbs is where flipping the lock out would be useful. Do you have one and when do you use it?

I do not but I have rode a bike that has the hydraulic rockshox lockout and it was addicting... For long climbs it obvious you would lockout but even short ups it is doable... The thing is like changing gears

I adjust my talas all the time. 120 to 95 and the lockout.

And I have to reach down for both

Last edited:
I dont adjust my lefty very much while riding, except when i exit a trail, and get on a road. I dont have much confidence in the lefty lockout. either i have an issue with my fork, or it just does not lock out very well.

I want the remote hydraulic lockout button, i'll get it eventually. i was planning on getting it this winter...

The Reba on my Top Fuel has a lockout, I use it longer or tech climbs. I adjusted the rebound on both my bikes to my liking and havent touched it since.

remote lockout

I have a remote on my fox fork on my SS. I hit the switch if there is a climb that looks like it will be more than a half dozen cranks. When I first got the fork on the bike I rarely used it but its almost instinctual at this point.

I have a knob on my fork for travel adjust from 6" to 4 or 5"(?). Never use it. It hurts my hand and it's hard to turn when you're sweating. I'd probably use a lever on the bars a lot (I used my adj seatpost all the time). I ride my rigid 90% of the time anyway.

On my front TALAS fork, the lever is stiff enough that that I usually stop to do it rather than try to bend down while moving. I often adjust the travel before a really long climb or a long downhill. I am not a racer and usually find myself panting heavily at the top of a hill so it seems like a good chance to stop for a few seconds to adjust the fork.

The TALAS on my rear suspension is easier to move the the lever and I can do it on the fly quite easily. That means that that I usually just leave the front at whatever seems most appropriate for the overall trail and and set the rear travel to change my geometry/balance for the less lengthy uphills and downhills as I am moving.

I am intermediate mountain biker on a good day so your useage/needs may be different than mine.

I've got a couple Fox F29's and I'll lock it out for climbs and non technical stuff. If the trails are chattery then I'll open it up. I do not have the bar mounted lockout for these forks.

I did have the Rock Shox lockout lever (the cable one) and I used that quite a bit. The bar mounted lockout control is nice, for sure. It sure beats reaching down to your fork leg no matter how you slice it, particularly during a race.

lefty lockout

I have a lefty that has a lockout (PBR). It's not bar mounted, but the top of the lefty is right next to your left hand so it's really easy to get to. I don't use it a lot, but i will lock it out on a fireroad climb or a road section. if I'm on the trail, I pretty much leave it open all the time. Most places I ride are fairly technical/rocky (Wissahickon) so even climing is nice with the suspension open.

I wouldn't say a lock out is a must. It's a nice to have, but you certainly can live without it. Lot's of people do.

I never used it (fork mounted, Tora TK) and ended up replacing the lockout assembly with a motion control damper.
I think if I maybe had a rear lockout it'd be a little more useful than front and I might use it more.

I have a Manitou with the ABS+ damper, I can change the LSC from fully open to lockout with a knob on the fork. I leave it in the middle during normal riding and turn it off when I get to a long bumpy downhill and lock it out for long fireroad climbs.

The only time I use the lockout on my fork is if I'm hitting the pavement. It's always off when I'm on dirt. I adjust the rebound on my fork before each ride but it's usually only one or two clicks. Slower if I'm riding more technical trails. Faster for smooth singletrack (eg. everything on Long Island).

I heard adding the remote lock out makes you adjust more. Especially on a single speed, having that fork not give when you are climbing out of the saddle is huge. I'm sure it isn't as much of a pain on the geared bike, and maybe not as noticeable.

Having said that, I'd love the flickable remote lock out on my fork.

I had a talas on heckler, cant say I ever adjusted it much. I liked the way the bike handled so much more with the fork at 90mm, I usually left it there.

I have a lockout on my epic, rarely do I ever use it. Most of the time I use it on slow rolling technical stuff, rollie pollie for example when I what to keep the front wheel from sticking into a hole and sending me over the bars.

I did have a handle bar mounted lock out on my SS and that was kinda nice for when you are standing and grinding.

I have remote (bar mounted) lockout on my Reba and I rarely use it. I'll lock it when hitting road (sometimes) or typically for the whole ride if I'm going to 6MR or Allaire. But I'll usually leave it unlocked all other times. I've often wondered if it would help on some climbs but I never remember to try it.

I have a remote on my fox fork on my SS. I hit the switch if there is a climb that looks like it will be more than a half dozen cranks. When I first got the fork on the bike I rarely used it but its almost instinctual at this point.

Does that mean your fork is fixed?:hmmm:

huge fan of the remote lockout... not a fan of travel adjust

Back
Top Bottom