How Long Do You Hold onto Things You Used to Be?

JDurk

Is it ok to hold on, is it bad to let go? Struggle with that myself.

I've probably held onto too many things over the years. BMX in the 80's but kinda lost interest when I went to college. Held onto some bikes for awhile, but eventually handed down to my younger brother. The trophies took longer to get rid of. Wasn't until I was moving that I trashed them. Got into mtb in the early 90's when my friends got them. The crowd I hung with got more into backpacking, camping, snowboarding, and 4x4ing. Then we all got jet skis. As people got married and had kids, found myself being the last person into things we did as a group. Bought a newer mtb in '05 and it's been pretty much the go to hobby since and added XC racing in '08. Still have the snowboards, backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, wetsuits and PFDs. Hell I even have the 1st suspension fork from a Spec Rockhopper I bought in '93.

And then there's this sitting in my garage. Just can't let it go.
IMG_20160701_140036490.jpg

MikeyBikey2000

Is it ok to hold on, is it bad to let go? Struggle with that myself.

I've probably held onto too many things over the years. BMX in the 80's but kinda lost interest when I went to college. Held onto some bikes for awhile, but eventually handed down to my younger brother. The trophies took longer to get rid of. Wasn't until I was moving that I trashed them. Got into mtb in the early 90's when my friends got them. The crowd I hung with got more into backpacking, camping, snowboarding, and 4x4ing. Then we all got jet skis. As people got married and had kids, found myself being the last person into things we did as a group. Bought a newer mtb in '05 and it's been pretty much the go to hobby since and added XC racing in '08. Still have the snowboards, backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, wetsuits and PFDs. Hell I even have the 1st suspension fork from a Spec Rockhopper I bought in '93.

And then there's this sitting in my garage. Just can't let it go.
View attachment 50985
Never ever let that go. Ever.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I am guilty of holding on to my old BMX trophies and bike for emotional reasons.. Kinda like a constant reminder of where I came from... Maybe one day I'll realize its stupid and move on.
I remember that picture of your trophy case. Given you were done at 16, seemed like a lot to hold on to.

That being said, it is always neat to see the super stars when they do the life in review and they have every single thing they ever, whatever, won, rode, used, etc..

I have always lived in whatever I was in and always sold my current stuff to move onto the next. There are only a few things I regret letting go of though, since I realized what I had after I sold it.

One is a turquoise G&S hat signed by part of the Bones Brigade, definitely Rodney Mullen (the godfather of modern street skating) and I think Lance Mountain (the Godfather of AWESOME). This just got lost in the mix and parents move to a new house.
Another is the Dura Ace hubs I sold @743power for WAY too cheap
Another is my first gen, FIT series 1, a part of me died when I sold that to a kid in Edison.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Interesting topic. Even more interesting to see the subtle differences in interpretation of the question.

Are you (the reader) holding on the tangible objects, inner self image or outer persona? Are you doing so in an attempt to stay off the inevitable or as a proverbial flag in the ground, staking out ones territory so to speak.

Who are we and what makes us that which we are?

As I continue to transform to the point that decade over decade I'm unrecognizable physically and emotionally to my prior decades self..... Yet, I'm still the person I've always been.

My most prized possession is that which makes me, me.

It is that which I guard most jealousy.

The ember that fules my very being.

It gives warmth when all is bleak and cold.

It gives courage when hope abandons; purpose when lost.

It screams out when beseeched on all sides and shines bright in the deepest darkest recesses of dooms sanctum allegoric cave.

It may seem like I'm describing hope. While hope is a prize, it is not mine or that that I speak.

Love. Surely he speaks of love. Love is s gift, but alas, no.

Faith! Faith gives all these things. That it does indeed. Just...not to me.

No, my prized possession is rage. It is omnipresent. It feeds me when I'm starving and warms me when I'm cold. It wraps me in Achilles armor when weak as surely as it wraps me in a loving embrace when I'm distraught.

My rage is both precious and private to me. It is mine and mine alone; I will never let it go.

Which is why, my friends, YOU will never see it.

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Interesting topic. Even more interesting to see the subtle differences in interpretation of the question.

Are you (the reader) holding on the tangible objects, inner self image or outer persona? Are you doing so in an attempt to stay off the inevitable or as a proverbial flag in the ground, staking out ones territory so to speak.

As I continue to transform to the point that decade over decade I'm unrecognizable physically and emotionally to my prior decades self..... Yet, I'm still the person I've always been.

It screams out when beseeched on all sides and shines bright in the deepest darkest recesses of dooms sanctum allegoric cave.

It may seem like I'm describing hope. While hope is a prize, it is not mine or that that I speak.

No, my prized possession is rage. It is omnipresent. It feeds me when I'm starving and warms me when I'm cold. It wraps me in Achilles armor when weak as surely as it wraps me in a loving embrace when I'm distraught.

My rage is both precious and private to me. It is mine and mine alone; I will never let it go.

Dude, I'm confused, I won't sell my Tony Alva skateboard, but I don't ride it anymore. That's all I got.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I find interesting that a few people have mentioned that their interests didn't / doesn't define them. I have sorta always been defined, at least in some way, by the hobbies / interests I have. I am not sure how you can separate yourself from them. Maybe my addictive personality leads this? Or maybe i just don't flirt with interests, I get consumed by them.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
I find interesting that a few people have mentioned that their interests didn't / doesn't define them. I have sorta always been defined, at least in some way, by the hobbies / interests I have. I am not sure how you can separate yourself from them. Maybe my addictive personality leads this? Or maybe i just don't flirt with interests, I get consumed by them.

I think...in time that you'll find that your interests don't in fact define you.... Rather, you, the essence that IS you, is revealed BY your interests. Each a glimpse into a far deeper and more complex being than simply.....

A skater, A cyclist, A father, An Advocate for a Cure and a self appointed "trend lemming" squasher are but individual frames in the Kinetoscope that is our STB.

Perhaps you could show a little less enthusiasm for the last one.... ;)

chrisalecia

I just read through all of these posts and have to say - I feel so much better! You are my people! I always stress at how many hobbies I have (which strangely enough are the same as most of you). Weird how we all have such similarities.

I am definitely defined by the hobbies I have. Because that's the type of people you can relate to and communicate with. I can talk about bikes and guitars, dirtbikes, road bikes, art, guns, etc., for hours. But don't ask me about golfzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think we are all a little OCD when it comes to our hobbies. I am very guilty of that. I immediately want to become an expert in whatever hobby I'm currently on. But I also think that is part of the allure. I like how mentally stimulating it all is. That is a big part of it for me.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think...in time that you'll find that your interests don't in fact define you.... Rather, you, the essence that IS you, is revealed BY your interests. Each a glimpse into a far deeper and more complex being than simply.....

A skater, A cyclist, A father, An Advocate for a Cure and a self appointed "trend lemming" squasher are but individual frames in the Kinetoscope that is our STB.

Perhaps you could show a little less enthusiasm for the last one.... ;)
woah.gif

blackburn1973

I remember that picture of your trophy case. Given you were done at 16, seemed like a lot to hold on to.

That being said, it is always neat to see the super stars when they do the life in review and they have every single thing they ever, whatever, won, rode, used, etc..

I have always lived in whatever I was in and always sold my current stuff to move onto the next. There are only a few things I regret letting go of though, since I realized what I had after I sold it.

One is a turquoise G&S hat signed by part of the Bones Brigade, definitely Rodney Mullen (the godfather of modern street skating) and I think Lance Mountain (the Godfather of AWESOME). This just got lost in the mix and parents move to a new house.
Another is the Dura Ace hubs I sold @743power for WAY too cheap
Another is my first gen, FIT series 1, a part of me died when I sold that to a kid in Edison.

Love that you had the G&S hat signed by the Bones Brigade. That's awesome. Anyone besides Mullen and Mountain? Please, please, please tell me you had a Caballero signature on there as well??? On G&S, have you seen the movie "Pray for Me, Jason Jesse"? Fun film - one of my favorite parts is the interviews with Neil Blender talking about how whacked out JJ was back in the day (well, that and the interviews with Jeff Grosso where he's very clearly talking to the narrator from rehab).

blackburn1973

I just read through all of these posts and have to say - I feel so much better! You are my people! I always stress at how many hobbies I have (which strangely enough are the same as most of you). Weird how we all have such similarities.

I am definitely defined by the hobbies I have. Because that's the type of people you can relate to and communicate with. I can talk about bikes and guitars, dirtbikes, road bikes, art, guns, etc., for hours. But don't ask me about golfzzzzzzzzzzz.

I think we are all a little OCD when it comes to our hobbies. I am very guilty of that. I immediately want to become an expert in whatever hobby I'm currently on. But I also think that is part of the allure. I like how mentally stimulating it all is. That is a big part of it for me.

A little OCD??? I step outside of myself sometimes when I'm talking about bikes or boards or whatever, and I realize that to someone not into it I must sound like I'm speaking gibberish.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Love that you had the G&S hat signed by the Bones Brigade. That's awesome. Anyone besides Mullen and Mountain? Please, please, please tell me you had a Caballero signature on there as well??? On G&S, have you seen the movie "Pray for Me, Jason Jesse"? Fun film - one of my favorite parts is the interviews with Neil Blender talking about how whacked out JJ was back in the day (well, that and the interviews with Jeff Grosso where he's very clearly talking to the narrator from rehab).
Cab deck was the first deck I bought with money I saved up, but I don't remember if he was at this demo.
Good Ole Jason Jesse

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains

wow
didnt realize you were so deep...

I am not sure how you can separate yourself from them. Maybe my addictive personality leads this? Or maybe i just don't flirt with interests, I get consumed by them.
I relate to this 110% which is why right now I want to talk about nothing that doesnt include dog or bike or dog in a sentence (notice I mentioned dog twice)

I have to say WOW again

can relate here too.
especially the golf

as for how I feel on this subject, I am the dichotomy of good and evil, male and female, talented and inadequate, humane and hateful
and as for hobbies and interests...

or should you let things go?
I try but no body will buy them

jumpa

I've had this talk with my gfs about how I have some hobbies under my belt for when I'm an old guy. But she said that's dumb and to do every thing you love to do as long as you can. So I will.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I've had this talk with my gfs about how I have some hobbies under my belt for when I'm an old guy. But she said that's dumb and to do every thing you love to do as long as you can. So I will.

Interesting. What hobbies would you ramp-up?

Do you expect physical decline will stop (not slow you down, cause that is inevitable) from your bikes, snow sports, wrenching?
Or is it that you will have more time? Hence need more hobbies to fill it?

As a side note, the conversation was dwelling on the past, but you chose to talk about the future. :thumbsup:

PRus

In the mid eighties after my move here from Europe I made the decision to live more in the moment.
I was able to enjoy more what I was doing at any given time. This made it easier to accept changes in life.
Always trying to enjoy what I am doing with no regrets if situations change and I cant do something ever again.
I had a habit to hold on to material things but even that has changed over time.
Fond memories of the past and always looking forward to what lies ahead.

Top Bottom