How is Hartshorne holding up?

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Back in 89 there really wasn't a real problem with riding in the wet (although even then I was doing TM and tended not to ride if it were like this). I remember when (red flag #1 you are old) you could ride all Sunday, and maybe see 2 or 3 bikes and a hand full of hikers. With those kind of numbers, it would be hard to do much damage.

wonderturtle

not to brag but i rode Hartshorne on my BMX bike in (I would guess) 1987? probably went mountain biking there for the first time in 1988 (Giant Iguana - black)

that MAY make me close to being the old man of the group.

but for some reason, despite mountain biking on-and-off for roughly 20 years, I am still a relative beginner in terms of skills and conditioning. probably since its been more off then on over the years.:eek:

LandCruiser

not to brag but i rode Hartshorne on my BMX bike in (I would guess) 1987? probably went mountain biking there for the first time in 1988 (Giant Iguana - black)

that MAY make me close to being the old man of the group.

but for some reason, despite mountain biking on-and-off for roughly 20 years, I am still a relative beginner in terms of skills and conditioning. probably since its been more off then on over the years.:eek:

I know the feeling, I remember riding Allaire on my Mongoose back in 1981. I would ride from Parkway Pines section of Brick, through the woods along the Parkway past Camp Zender to the Hospital Road section. Oh, the good ole days.

bobkennelly

Fron and rooty

Well, I was at Hartshorn and Huber early today, all frozen but lots of rooty stuff from people riding it when it was thawing out,
Still was fast, glad I had the 29er to get over the rough spots..
Not a good idea to go at this time of day..

wonderturtle

bobkennelly - I was at Huber/ hartshorne today as well - we only passed one other group - a group of 3 guys (one wearing shorts) on the laurel ridge trail - was that your group?

bobkennelly

bobkennelly - I was at Huber/ hartshorne today as well - we only passed one other group - a group of 3 guys (one wearing shorts) on the laurel ridge trail - was that your group?

I was alone wearing a cannondale jacket from 1992, red and blue.
But i was riding a SS cannondale 29er, silver, sort a new new..very cool lookin.. has all the Halters signiture parts on it..Thx to J..

Bobke

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
I hit up Hartshorne and Huber after a nice ride at Allaire this morning. It is still a bit on the muddy side, not enough to cancel a ride over, but still pretty squishy. I counted 47 cars at the lower lot, and over 70 at the top lot at 3:30. You couldn't find a spot in either lot. Cars were parked on the fire road, the grass, the High School parking lot, and down the road, so there may have been even more cars in places I didn't see. I was more than a little disappointed at the general shape of the trails in both parks. It would seem that a lot of people rode when the trails were very soft (Sunday thru Wed./Thurs). The trails were good enough to ride, but not good enough to actually stay on the trail. Most of the trails have been widened out to damn near 6 feet by A-holes going around the wet instead of just haging it up, and giving the trails a chance to dry out.

bobkennelly

I hit up Hartshorne and Huber after a nice ride at Allaire this morning. It is still a bit on the muddy side, not enough to cancel a ride over, but still pretty squishy. I counted 47 cars at the lower lot, and over 70 at the top lot at 3:30. You couldn't find a spot in either lot. Cars were parked on the fire road, the grass, the High School parking lot, and down the road, so there may have been even more cars in places I didn't see. I was more than a little disappointed at the general shape of the trails in both parks. It would seem that a lot of people rode when the trails were very soft (Sunday thru Wed./Thurs). The trails were good enough to ride, but not good enough to actually stay on the trail. Most of the trails have been widened out to damn near 6 feet by A-holes going around the wet instead of just haging it up, and giving the trails a chance to dry out.

Thats why I was there at 8am, get away from the masses..like I said, frozen, fast and EMPTY..

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Yeah, I rode Allaire in the morning, and went to take a look at H&H as I hadn't been there since it snowed. I ended up turning around a hundred yards into Rocky Point, (just disgusted with what had been done to the trails). Going early when everything is still frozen is an excellent idea. I just wish more people were that savy.

bobkennelly

Yeah, I rode Allaire in the morning, and went to take a look at H&H as I hadn't been there since it snowed. I ended up turning around a hundred yards into Rocky Point, (just disgusted with what had been done to the trails). Going early when everything is still frozen is an excellent idea. I just wish more people were that savy.

Im 51,

B737

we rode hartshorne today, around 3/4p. Trails were very dry, i only recall one patch of mud near some roots on one of the climbs overall a fantastic ride and great conditions.

upper lot was packed, passed probably half a dozen riders. I crashed into a tree infront of a handful of them. I was happy to provide entertainment ;) otherwise after readjusting suspension on the trek (it was WAY out of whack) it rode like a new animal.

im a little surprised brielle bike shop didnt tune in the suspension closer to where it should have been but im glad i was reading some posts here that caused me start tinkering around with it.

I think tomorrow were going to give allaire a run as well...

al415

Banned
This morning at 0730AM...

...the trails were frozen solid again. You could see all the ruts and trouble waiting to soften up again, but it was nice and fast for now. First time I'd been there in ages...

Top Bottom