How fast?

xc62701

It all depends on where you're riding but I usually average around 8-9 mph and I never like to stop. I stop when I drive back home :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
average speed varies greatly based on terrain, distance and how fast a person feels like going that day. amount of breaks also depends on the ride. usually, on group rides, everyone will stop long enough for the last person to catch up and catch their breath, then we/they're off again.

olegbabich

try to stay 12-15mph to the park, thats on the road (6mi). 7-9mph on the trail (13.5mi). I will take a couple of breaks. Back home 10-12mph (6mi). Thats my usual ride, but it also depends on head or tail wind.
On the road when I see those "your speed is" police trailers I push up to 26mph, but just for a couple of seconds.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I usually average just above 10 mph at 6 mile and on the road bike, average around 18 with some small climbs and I hate to stop. Usually I ride for an hour to hour and a half and only stop if I have a problem.

Spylab

I don't have a speedometer on either my mountain or my road bike, but to take some guesses:

MTB on XC terrain (Deer Park / KVSP)
Usually 7 to 10 mph.
Breaks vary depending on weather; I find myself stopping a lot more on 95º summer days than 55º fall days, most of the time I am only stopping along an extended uphill that I can't make it up, or when the tube pops.

MTB on DH terrain (Diablo)
Very variable based on terrain, but 10 to 20 mph is a safe bet.
Breaks happen often - break the chain, break the wheel, break the derailleur...

Roadie on Tarmac (Morris County)
Try to keep 10 to 15 mph, average pace plummets on uphills and after a few hours.
I ride a fixed gear, and never take breaks until I reach a pre-determined destination or get home.

yuroshek

when i ride, xc dh or road i ride full throttle. then take a break. then back on it. i do race runs everytime im out, why? i just like to go as fast as possible and drift turns and jump everything that i can. i love my bikes.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
right now i ride as slow as a snail. and when i am having a bad day... slower.

sometimes i'll have a good day tho and i'll keep rolling along at a decent pace.

Glancing Aft

Fat and slow right now. This weekend my gf's dog kept passing me...
I usually try to stick to about 18 mph on the road for a 20 mile ride, and about 7mph in the woods depending on terrain and distance. I never take breaks when I'm by myself.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
I walk up to the jump line, look at it, and walk to the top of it. This is followed by some sitting and more looking. I ride real slow up to the jump line and usually dont hit it. Then I walk back to the top. Repeat these steps 40 times in a row and you have my average day. So I guess I ride real slow if any at all.:confused:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
I walk up to the jump line, look at it, and walk to the top of it. This is followed by some sitting and more looking. I ride real slow up to the jump line and usually dont hit it. Then I walk back to the top. Repeat these steps 40 times in a row and you have my average day. So I guess I ride real slow if any at all.:confused:

LMAO!! Same here but the gaps are probably half of what ur staring down.I think you've inspired me to start digging again in the spring....:rofl:

NickDavid

yea... the group I ride with, these guys fly... so it's easy to move along with them via drafting.

by myself... i can stay at 15-23 mph depending on the wind

Top Bottom