How does your trainer workout go?

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I guess I am sadly out of shape. Just got a trackstand ultra, and find it much harder than actually riding. After about a half hour and about 6 miles I am dying. I can get out of the trail after 10-15 miles at over 8mph avg. of real and my legs feel fine, but I get off the trainer after 30 minutes & 6 miles at about a steady 10mph & am shot. Is it the fixed resistance on the trainer, or do I just suck?

it can get really hot on the trainer, you dont have the wind to cool you down. You are also constantly pedaling. Not slowing for turns, hills, traffic signals. Also, the mental aspect of it is difficult to get past for some people.

Mechanically, make sure you dont have the tire contact knob super tightened down. I never used that blakburn, but you should have it tight enough so you arent spinning out the tire while sprinting. Also, I assume you are using a road bike. Keep those tires inflated as much as you can. Anything that can cause drag on the bike in a real life situation is exaggerated times ten on the trainer. Derailleur alignment, bad bearings, etc.

Sircrashalot

Yeah thanks....I was actually wondering yesterday if a lot of it was mental. Thinking to myself that it is possible that focusing on the trail distracts me so much that the time flies by & I pay much less attention to the rubber sticks I call legs.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Yeah, to add to what 743power said, you'd be very surprised at just how much you coast during an mtb or road ride. I never realized it until I got my PowerTap and can see the zone distribution. Even more extreme is the power-file from a cross race!! 2 zones, Recovery and Supra-Max!!

An hour of straight pedaling on the trainer is like a 2-hour mtb ride. And the trainer does work best when you watch something like a Spinervals DVD because you're doing a specific workout and are less likely to get bored.

-Jim.

Mike679

I have only ever used Spinervals, but that's pretty much the only way I can ride the trainer for any length of time. I tried watching regular TV a few times, but since riding the trainer generally sucks, trying to enjoy something on TV will also suck as it becomes something that I associate with riding the trainer...which sucks.

The nice thing about the videos, in addition to what others have stated, is that you can keep pace with other riders' cadences in the video. Some of them spin pretty damn fast.

G

Greenman

it can get really hot on the trainer, you dont have the wind to cool you down. You are also constantly pedaling. Not slowing for turns, hills, traffic signals. Also, the mental aspect of it is difficult to get past for some people.QUOTE]

Usually I'm on the trainer for an hour in front of the tv. I use a standing fan on low setting to keep from getting too hot, this works well. I will do some intervals during my session, but not using any training videos.

Sircrashalot

Kicking around getting one of the VR videos. My in-laws live right at Lake Placid, NY I have driven the route that the spinervals VR one takes you on. Anybody have that DVD? Any good? Wanna sell it??????

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Going the distance

An hour of straight pedaling on the trainer is like a 2-hour mtb ride.

-Jim.

Thanks Jim Vree, In my Base 1 training I've been doing 4-5 hours per week on the ole' gal ... Hello Podium! :D

Racerchick ... :p

ps: Tommy's watching a cross race on the puter and the screen is only 2"x3"
Now that's dedication!

bobkennelly

Trainers can be boring, but with some structure you'll learn to enjoy it. If you get some DVD's like Spinervals or CTS or whatever, it gives you a nice specific workout that will give you results pretty quickly. Trainers allow you to concentrate on a very specific training zone for a very specific time without worrying about traffic lights or cars pulling out etc. Try doing a 20 minute threshold block outside, it's not as easy as it seems. And as one of my favorite things to do on a trainer, intervals to failure, you nearly pass out and fall off the bike. If you pushed that hard outside you'd die:D

-Jim.

Trainers are booooring......
I was outside yesterday with the coss rig riding through the open fields of Central Park..small block 8's work well on that stuff.
Not too shabby.
Doin it again today..:D

Bobke

Top Bottom