How do you stay injury free in 2009 (and beyond)?

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
If you are over 40, slim, spend much time on a bike, and have broken bones, get a bone density test or at least take calcium. This goes for men and women. Stronger bones will not break as easy.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
So the simple answer, don't go hard and you'll be fine
this works for me. my two accidents that i broke my helmets, would have been avoided if i kept this in mind

accident 1: hit by limo, as i was chasing first peloton, which was stupid as there was another peloton right behind which closer suits my abilitity

accident 2: fell off aero bars after helping a guy with a flat. it wasn't necessary to ride so hard to catch up with the rest of the group that was probably just eating lunch, yes my spouse was going out that night, but my crash caused here to miss her event entirely. Count on extra time when you ride, account for flats and broken chains etc. If you don't have enough time for a ride then don't ride, go at a different time

accident 3: actually happened before accident 1 and 2. its hard to believe that some folks drink and ride bicycles, what can i say except the same rules apply on a bike as an automobile, don't drink and drive.

Last edited:

Panhead

One report states that half of all cycling accidents occur simply when a cyclists fall off there bicycle.

Last year I had 3 accidents, two were simply falling off the bike. Two accidents resulted in broken helmet (one from fall, one from hit by a limo). My worst accident last year included a broken collar bone, concusion, and 4 day stay at hospital which could have been avoided by using different equipment. It was not necessary to use aero bars on a c* ride. So equipment also plays a role in our safety.

The last time I fell off my bike was a few weeks ago in cape may i tried to bunny hop two parking space curbs that were adjacent. Maybe it was poor judgement to attempt this type of thing, maybe I'm clumsy. I believe I experienced some type of endo, which is harder to land than just falling onto your side or butt.

I guess the other half of cyclists get run over by their bike. It is starting to sound like you need a F-en tricycle, not a bicycle. Get back on your meds.

CrossAddict

Resume'

One report states that half of all cycling accidents occur simply when a cyclists fall off there bicycle.

Last year I had 3 accidents, two were simply falling off the bike. Two accidents resulted in broken helmet (one from fall, one from hit by a limo). My worst accident last year included a broken collar bone, concusion, and 4 day stay at hospital which could have been avoided by using different equipment. It was not necessary to use aero bars on a c* ride. So equipment also plays a role in our safety.

The last time I fell off my bike was a few weeks ago in cape may i tried to bunny hop two parking space curbs that were adjacent. Maybe it was poor judgement to attempt this type of thing, maybe I'm clumsy. I believe I experienced some type of endo, which is harder to land than just falling onto your side or butt.

I have to lay down the law here and say if you come to a VTC ride you'll have to ride off the back due to your resume. We can't have any of our premier riders getting hurt;).

-rf

Panhead

accident 1: hit by limo, as i was chasing first peloton, which was stupid as there was another peloton right behind which closer suits my abilitity

Armstrong was in it, said he doesn't need anymore competition.
Rog-
He said he was chasing the first peleton, maybe he should lead the VTC out.

CrossAddict

Whoa!!

Armstrong was in it, said he doesn't need anymore competition.
Rog-
He said he was chasing the first peleton, maybe he should lead the VTC out.

Whoa! thanks I almost fell asleep. I'm on break now.:D

Armstrong was and will always be welcome on the VTC rides. He's busy right now, but after the tour he'll be back to put in some miles for next season. He loves to stop in when he's in the NY area. Although, he not as much fun to ride with as Dave Zabriski.:D

-rf

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
Common Sense Can Prevent a Bicycle Crash

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/common-sense-can-prevent-a-bicycle-crash-290105.html

Annually, about half a million bicycle related injuries occur. In addition, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, a bicyclist is killed approximately every six hours. However, most bicycle crashes are predictable and preventable by using proper precautions on the part of both the bicyclists and motorists.

Types of Bicycle Crashes

Falls and Collisions

Over 50 percent of bike crashes are the result of falls.

Riding vs. Racing

Last year, my speed was the same for rides and races.

This year I hope my rides to be that "simply rides", and races I hope to push the envelope. That being said, some cyclists don't race anymore, since as you push the limit you're more likely to get hurt. This is what each person has to decide for themselves, for me, I am racing against myself, so hopefully, I can decide how much to push.

Thanks for all your feedback!

1.JPG

Last edited:

Robson

Try not to crash. Sometimes I feel overconfident because I know the trail, ride to fast and boom...I'm down.

Top Bottom