Do you like the new site?

• Yes, in general I like it.

Votes: 35 64.8%
  • Indifferent or undecided.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • No, I do not like it.

Votes: 7 13.0%

• Total voters
This could also be the result of those who use smaller screen resolutions. I don't know what you're all seeing. Mike said half his screen? That would make his resolution really small. I can see how it would look bad if that were the case.

The black is maybe 1/10 of my screen, per side.

The black is gonna' take up 250 pixels of screen (125 each side) width regardless of whether you're running 800x600 or 1600x1200.

So, yeah, if you're running something like 800x600 resolution, about 1/3 of your total screen is gonna' be black in the sites current configuration (and the entire site is gonna' look pretty fugly). It'll be about 1/4 of your screen if you're running 1024x768.

As near as I can tell, there are a few options:

1. Make the black smaller like it was before or even eliminate it. Issue with that is that some folks prefer a narrower view for readability. Of course, they can "un-maximize" their browser and adjust it to their liking...but that seems to be an issue.
2. Make the view fixed width like the "classic" view. The padding on the sides will shrink/grow based on screen resolution and browser window size. The down side to this is that the view is the same size; period. For those who like stretching the width of the view for their preferred readability, this wouldn't work.
3. Create yet a third style just like the new one except fixed width. This would mean a third template we'd have to maintain and, well, it is just kinda' out of control in my view ('cause I'm the guy who maintains this stuff).
4. Let 'er ride...

In the end, whatever the three Amigos tell me to do...I do.

i vote four.

if we start picking nits we'll end up back where we started. i like this much more better than before. how 'bout thursday tim??

edit: just checked and i'm running 1024x768.

Last edited:
Whatever...This is just silly...It's like taking a class photo for kindergarten...Mom has made up her mind on what clothes you will wear, so no need for further discussion...Just make sure they part your hair on the correct side

This could also be the result of those who use smaller screen resolutions. I don't know what you're all seeing. Mike said half his screen? That would make his resolution really small. I can see how it would look bad if that were the case.

The black is maybe 1/10 of my screen, per side.

I was refering to the text blocks we type in that are half the width of the screen. Not counting the blocks with our avatars and stuff. The black is about 1.5" wide on each side. Sorry if you misunderstood me.
BTW my screen res is 1024x768. I'm a bike geek not a computer geek! :D

I a seasoned graphic designer and could help. But, since I have been in it a long time and I'm jaded I do nothing for free. In fact you owe me $150 for typing this. Thank You. :D

You can't please everybody. Let and ride and go with the flow. If I learned anything - it's all subjective.

Back
Top Bottom