How could this have happened?

The derailleur snapped right where it screws into the hanger. I just put this derailleur on yesterday. It was shifting fine. What I'm trying to find out is if this snapped b/c of something I screwed up or b/c I just hit something. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Derailleur.jpg
    Derailleur.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 164

VanDbtRiver

i just broke my 2nd or third deralleur of the year.the hanger saves the frame but usually takes that b adjustment mech with it. be prepared for everyone to tell you to go singlespeed.

The funny thing is that last year, I went through like 3 hangers and no derailleurs. When it first went today, I immediately thought it was the hanger and I was kicking myself b/c I just ordered 2 spares, but didn't have either on me. When I saw it was the derailleur, I was a bit relieved b/c I was able to go singlespeed and therefore didn't have to hike it out. Of course, I'm out a derailleur and a chain now instead of a much cheaper hanger.

I guess I can say that I've tried the singlespeed thingy and I miss my gears. :D

anrothar

entirely thrilled
that might be a warranty issue. bring it back to the shop you got it from or try contacting shimano yourself.

Its actually a sram x.9 and its been sitting in the box for the past year. Funny thing is that I had the x.5 on my bike, it was working fine, but I recently replaced the chain and cassette so I figured that I mine as well go all the way and throw on the new derailleur. I think I might have jinxed myself. I'll try to contact sram, but I won't hold my breath.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think they'll do you right.

What gear did you happen to be in when you it broke? Were you in rocks? Did you hit a stick? Was there something that you hit? Or just rolling along minding your own business?

As a matter of fact, there were a pack of badgers playing a game of drunkyball. I didn't think that was relevant so I didn't mention it.

Back to the derailleur, I'm sure it took a couple of hits before it went. I was just putting along when it snapped.

So is there a consensus that it wasn't anything I did when installing the derailleur that could have caused this? That's my biggest concern as I'm just going to install a new derailleur and I don't want to repeat the same mistake.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Sram is a sick company, I busted my X0 and they sent out the pieces to rebuild it no charge...You'll probrally need to go through a shop though...That looks like a warranty if I ever saw'd one;)

-Jim.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you shouldn't be able to snap it tightening it down. the threads should slip before that happens. in an aluminum hanger anyway...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
not possible. if there was too much cable tension the derailluer would not shift correctly. even if your chain was too short, one would expect the chain to come apart before the derailluer snapped.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If the chain's too short, then he was at speed and put it in big-big, that could snap the RD, couldn't it?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
yes, but it would be much more likely to 'snap' the chain, ie, the links would seperate from the pins, or to slip the cable, or slip the main tension spring(swing) in the derailluer.

Unfortunately, I happened to get this from a website and that was 18 months ago so I'd be shocked if anything will be done to rectify the situation.

So the chain being too short is a possibility. I don't have a big front ring, but I do spend a lot of time in middle in front, big in back.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Unfortunately, I happened to get this from a website and that was 18 months ago so I'd be shocked if anything will be done to rectify the situation.

So the chain being too short is a possibility. I don't have a big front ring, but I do spend a lot of time in middle in front, big in back.

fabhd ER BITH.

Top Bottom