How awesome is New Jersey????

J

JoeC

What up? My name is Joe and I currently reside in the DFW Area. I am considering a job opportunity that would involve relocation to NJ. My employer is based in Manville to be specific. I got back into MTB riding about a year ago. My wife and I are Maine natives and we have lived in several different states...ME, FL, RI, TX and probably soon NJ.

I can already see that NJ has extensive MTB riding opportunities, which is a huge factor in my decision.

I have tons of questions, so I'm not sure if this is the best place, but here it goes.

1. How long is the riding season? Do you guys do it year round?
2. What is the bike of choice in these parts? XC/Trail/All Mountain etc.
(in DFW, the cool choice is a ss, 29er, hardtail, not that I have one!)
3. What is the nearest suburb to Manville for a family with two kids?
4. What is the closest trail to Manville and the answer to #3?
5. What is the best LBS near Manville?
6. What is the best resource for trail desctiptions and directions to trailheads, preferably adresses or coordinates for my Tomtom?
7. Baggies or spandex?

I could think of a few more, but that's enough.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
DFW = Dallas - Fort Worth?

1. All year round.
2. Any and all kinds. I ride a Niner HT and a 29er SS.
3. Define suburb. The entire state of NJ is technically considered a suburb. Personally, I would never live in Manville but there are scores of nice places to live within reasonable commuting distance.
4. Chimney Rock
5. Halter's Cycles (www.halterscycles.com)
6. This site - see the trail directory link at the top.
7. Spandex

Fire away, we like questions.

8. My real name is also Joe but most call me Norm.
9. Welcome
10. What time and how burnt?

J

JoeC

Yes, Dallas Fort Worth. I won't be living in Manville. As far as suburbs, that may be a better question for a realtor. I have two kids ages 9 and 11, so it will come down to quality of schools, safety and relative proximity to Manville.

Thanks for the input.

J-Dro

You know what they say about Manville... There's a bar and a church on every corner.

Welcome Joe.

Oh and its baggies. Definitely baggies.

J

JoeC

You know what they say about Manville... There's a bar and a church on every corner.

Welcome Joe.

Oh and its baggies. Definitely baggies.

Well, I don't do much churchin, but I do my fair share of drinkin and I definitely wear baggies.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome Aboard...
summer = baggies
winter = thermal spandex
road = matchy-matchys

rlb

Frankiln Twp (Somerset County) was voted the 5th best place to live in America (I don't exactly know why) but its nice, and close to Manville. I've got no clue about the schools...But Six Mile run is there, which is an awesome place to ride.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
All year round!!

The rocks are north, the smooth twisty singletrack is south.
All u need is on this site, so poke around
Welcome.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes year round.

Just like DFW the hot bike seems to be SS,29er,hardtail or no suspension

Somerset, Raritan, Somerville, Hillsborough, Readington

6mile, I think

Halters, I think. Check trail directory tab at top of website.

6. What is the best resource for trail desctiptions and directions to trailheads, preferably adresses or coordinates for my Tomtom?
see trail talk tab on website.

7. Baggies or spandex?
I am a spandex guy, but to each his own.

Hope you make it to NJ, let us know how it works out. GOOD LUCK!

fasterthanliam

1. all year , some places even ride better frozen.
2. a good all trail should cover everything well enough.
3. Hillsborough,Montgomery,Bridgewater,Branchburg are all good.
4. Six mile run or C.R.
5. Bike N Gear in Somerset , close and open on Sunday.
Good guys as well.
6. This site is the best for all that information.
7. Spandex under your baggies.

B737

im not sure how much affinity you have towards the state of TX but coming from a guy who spends significant amounts of time around Houston (not by choice) your GOING TO LOVE NJ!

that part of the state is particularly nice, and a short drive will get you lots of nice places, I'll second Bridgewater and Hillsborough.

cold weather - baggies over thermal spandex, gloves and ear cover
warm weather- any gym clothes that arent smelly

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
manville is actually a REALLY good central area for all the riding in NJ. you can ride clear through the year here depending on where you wanna drive to or what kinda of gear you have. chimney rock is right near manville and is awesome riding. basically from where you are you can be in any type of riding you want by driving under an hour north or south. also... if you wanna ride in NJ the most important thing to have with you at all times is a good sense of humor, especially if you run into us guys at allaire. lol. manville is right off of rt 287. you can drive within a half hour of there and be living in the sticks or the other way and be in urban-ish suburbs. your choice. great centralized location. good luck with your move

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What up? My name is Joe and I currently reside in the DFW Area. I am considering a job opportunity that would involve relocation to NJ. My employer is based in Manville to be specific. I got back into MTB riding about a year ago. My wife and I are Maine natives and we have lived in several different states...ME, FL, RI, TX and probably soon NJ.

I can already see that NJ has extensive MTB riding opportunities, which is a huge factor in my decision.

I have tons of questions, so I'm not sure if this is the best place, but here it goes.

7. Baggies or spandex?

I could think of a few more, but that's enough.

I couldn't resist this one as I too am from Maine.

1- All year round, less to the north of rte 78
2- There is no one bike that works for everyone. I love my ss 29er but I have been goofing around on a Rip 9 a bit lately. If I had the extra $ i would grab a Perp.
3- As norm said.. It is all suburbs. I would use Google earth and look for the greenest spot that is within driving distance to manville. If you life to surf than you might go closer to the ocean. Manville is near the center of the state..Kinda. You might consider the drive to VT if you like to ski. You might also consider the drive to the deleware river or PA. You might also look at the riding spots that appear on the mtbnj trail map. If you can get within 10 miles of any of them you will be ok.
4- Chimney rock. The name is telling.
5. There are many good shops in NJ. I have the most respect for those operated by riders and not businessmen. I like Halters (since I own it) but like every shop it as it's flaws.
6- That must be GPS talk. I never used one in the woods of Maine. Doubt you see me using one here.
7-Both. Mostly what the weather calls for.

All I can say about comparison to Maine is.. On my recent trip home over x-mas I needed to stop in NH after crossing the bridge. My eyes were swollen with tears and I had to really push myself to continue driving south. I am here and making the very best of it. NJ is where I live but it will never be my home.

J_

J

JoeC

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! Just had a phone discussion with my potential employer and it is looking pretty good that I will be living in central NJ within 30 days, likely at an extended stay hotel until at least the end of the school year.

I will probably position myself close to Six Mile Run as it is 5.8 miles from my new work site. It is always nice to drive by a trailhead on your way home from work, I have found.

I look forward to integrating myself into the NJ MTB community very soon.

Joe

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
thats great place to get started in NJ. you will find a ton of people that ride there will give you a grand tour whenever youd like.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
We will give you tour when you are ready.

Do you like doing trail work??

If so we have a shovel with your name on it.

j

Top Bottom