houses for sale thread

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
I was actually thinking of this jockey hollow house. Isn't the lot on the other less than an acre?
What do you think of this 3 bds • 4 ba • 1,928 sqft home I found on Zillow? https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/39844186_zpid/
I like that house more. At least it has some property. The glen ridge house is around an acre. It’s big advantage is it’s commuter territory.

A month ago we wanted to buy this place: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2429-County-Route-9-East-Chatham-NY-12060/30002480_zpid/
A friend of ours has a home nearby and we really like the early. I even talked to my work about relocating. And then we had a plan of buying it to Airbnb/vaca home and moving back to Brooklyn. And then I realized I don’t want the hassle of a second home I can only afford if it’s rented enough to cover the mortgage. Full range of emotions in a week.

Jmann

FLW houses are great for visiting, not for living. He got a lot of things wrong for actual living. For instance the kitchen is always a small galley style kitchen hidden away while post FLW people have figured out a kitchen can be the social focal point of the house.

I'd love a modern style home but any that I find to live in I'm sure I'd have to modify. There's actually a really nice development in Morristown off James St that's all modern homes and they've been heavily modified over the years as the original design doesn't actually work well for living.

FLW does nail the living room.
My house is 100 years old, the layout annoys me to no end. I have 4 bathrooms but would gladly have just two that were larger.

The kitchen didn’t seem to get much love until the 80s. The open layout kitchen/dining room/ living room really makes the most of space. No unnecessary walls.

Jmann

rick81721

Lothar
Those photos have FSBO all over them. Way to make your house look like a cave. Also the open dishwasher was a nice touch.

Haha yeah those pics are really dark. Also his property tax listing is false advertising - that will go up big time for the next owner, even if they paid 550K for it.

Jmann

Like the 3 different siding out front... But at least none of the pictures were photoshopped to make the rooms look huge..
Or the old fisheye lens trick. I’ve looked enough nyc apartment listings to spot that a mile away. I also like when they 3D render in furnishings, or photoshop what the yard will look like if it had actual grass.

JerseyPete

Haha yeah those pics are really dark. Also his property tax listing is false advertising - that will go up big time for the next owner, even if they paid 550K for it.
In some towns, do they adjust the taxes after the house is sold to a new owner?

JerseyPete

I bought my house and the taxes were the same as the previous year/owner. It only went up as time went one and the rates were adjusted for the town.
I had heard that one town over, they re-do the property taxes after it is sold to a new owner. That could be a nasty surprise.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I bought my house and the taxes were the same as the previous year/owner. It only went up as time went one and the rates were adjusted for the town.
I had heard that one town over, they re-do the property taxes after it is sold to a new owner. That could be a nasty surprise.

in bburg, they adjusted the value of current homes and lowered the rate, so all the 'old homes' were the same, but the new homes were worth so much more, they pay the premium.

rick81721

Lothar

That's usually the case. Assessed value is rarely sale price. You get whacked when you buy a house that was significantly rebuilt to a greater assessed value.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Man, I can't afford any of those houses. If they made a move about me it would be called "Broke Ass Asian".

Top Bottom