Horseback riding lessons

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Anyone have any personal recommendations for lessons. My wife has gotten a little too into Yellowstone and now wants riding lessons. We've done some rides on vacations, but she'd like to be more comfortable before she retires from corporate life and joins the rodeo.

WickedSistahEast

Anyone have any personal recommendations for lessons. My wife has gotten a little too into Yellowstone and now wants riding lessons. We've done some rides on vacations, but she'd like to be more comfortable before she retires from corporate life and joins the rodeo.
Seaton Hackney Staples in Morristown has a great kids program/camp and also has a lot of adults learning there. I did the whole volunteering to earn credits for lessons thing there, but it ended up still being too expensive on top of my usual bike-related coaching costs.

mtbiker87

Where you located ? I'd let her try my guy, but he can be a bit.... opinionated.... at times. I know a trainer at Lionheart in High Bridge who is really good with either English or Western. She was great us for us. Her name is Morgan Thatcher if you try there. Shouldn't be crazy expensive just to get some lessons on basic riding and horsemanship. IMG_20220727_172320_704.jpg

Last edited:

Frank

Sasquatch
Having owned horses for a while I have a recommendation…..run away!!! 😉
I just want to caution you about real horses vs the horses you may have ridden on vacation. Hack horses are very calm and trained to be compliant. Real horses can be quite different and difficult to get used to. My wife purchased a horse way back when and I was able to ride him, but only after many months of ground work. Then I rode him and he took care of me, which I was unaware of, and had a false sense of being able to ride. The next 6 horses I rode I fell off of. A four foot drop hurts like hell, ask my ribs how I know. I’m not trying to scare you off but want you to know what you are getting into. Horses are very expensive so be prepared because they are easy to fall in love with.

mtbiker87

Solid advice from Frank on horse ownership. Luckily, it sounds like your wife just wants to get some lessons to satisfy her inner cowgirl, so you're good ! Lesson horses at any decent barn are much like the vacation trail horses you mentioned. As someone who has worked at such facilities I can say that with confidence. If her interest ends up going deeper than that, things get complicated. It's a lifestyle more than a hobby,as well as a long term commitment to building a relationship with an animal that will be a part of your life for a very long time. They're awesome animals, and riding is super fun, so I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a go.

Top Bottom