Hop-or-Not: crowed sourced video coaching

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Since I’m not getting any faster so I might as well try to get a little more rad. Style points > upgrade points. I want to learn legit bunny hop/J-hop skillz so I feel comfortable doing it consistently at race speed.

Effort #1

What am I doing wrong? Don’t hold back.

Log is about “16 where i am going over, which is about standard CX barrier height. I can clear it regularly without tapping the front wheel but don’t see any way I’d be able to hop a 2nd barrier at speed.

Critique 1: No sprinkles.
Critique 2: No Rock Lobster.
Compliment: You made it over the log!

Critique 1: No sprinkles.
Critique 2: No Rock Lobster.
Compliment: You made it over the log!

#1: fair point.
#2: #sponsorcorrect and this one doesn’t have pannier rack on it right now

I should mention that @taylor185 built me a sweet set of practice barriers last year. Going to try with those next round. It’s much scarier jumping a 2” wide plank than a nice round half-rotten log.

#1: fair point.
#2: #sponsorcorrect and this one doesn’t have pannier rack on it right now

I should mention that @taylor185 built me a sweet set of practice barriers last year. Going to try with those next round. It’s much scarier jumping a 2” wide plank than a nice round half-rotten log.

i don't suppose setting it up like a track hurdle would hurt????
at least the second one.

nice looking hop!

Mebbe set the 2nd barriers 30 or 40 feet away so you can get the reset after the first hop into your muscle memory? And then as you get comfy, start moving them closer?
IIRC, a lot of the pros have their hands on the bar tops. Which seems scarier.
Super effing gnarly, btw.

Subscribed

I feel with my front end height i cant do it over barriers but regular logs yes

It’s the second one, you really need to nail the setup for it, which it looks like you have. Seems you have to really muscle the second one if you lose too much speed.

4167E49F-EB6D-4879-95B8-1C6269F62C6E.jpeg

16EA0277-6586-4B02-8659-3EEA6BC71D7B.jpeg

Bunny hopping on a mtb is cake. I can’t hop on my cx for shit. I bought that dropper but haven’t put it on yet.

The geo of a cx is so different that I feel like you have to completely relearn how to do it.

Subscribed

I feel with my front end height i cant do it over barriers but regular logs yes

It’s the second one, you really need to nail the setup for it, which it looks like you have. Seems you have to really muscle the second one if you lose too much speed.

View attachment 104818
View attachment 104819
I concur. It’s the second one that will get you...... or so I’ve heard.

i don't suppose setting it up like a track hurdle would hurt????
at least the second one.

nice looking hop!

Track hurdle style is a good idea. might save teeth. I have a PVC "barrier" too but it comes apart if you even graze it. CX barriers done correctly by promoters are pretty stout so you can tap-hop them. The ones often used in NJBA races are often floppy so if you tap-hop them they flip down then spring back with a vengeance causing endos.
Mebbe set the 2nd barriers 30 or 40 feet away so you can get the reset after the first hop into your muscle memory? And then as you get comfy, start moving them closer?
IIRC, a lot of the pros have their hands on the bar tops. Which seems scarier.
Super effing gnarly, btw.

I like the idea of starting wide then moving the 2nd one closer as I get better.

Euro style is definitely on the bar tops. I can see how it moves your CG back which probably makes it easier to lift the front wheel but hoo-leee-crap it's full commitment. No panic braking possible from the tops. Also, harder to recover if things go sideways, literally and figuratively. I can't think of a single American pro that hops from the tops. Can you? Meeusen cleared 80 cm (31.5" for metric challenged) from the tops so apparently it works. Van Der Poel is hoods.

Looks good to me @Delish ....way better than I could ever hop a cx bike.....I can usually get the first one, but the second one being right after is a bitch.

You are the fastest person I have ever seen run barriers, so im not so sure you will be any faster hopping them

comparing you and MVP's video, I think you could clear the second barrier np. could you take a little less speed into the first barrier and still clear? if so, might allow more time to prep for next barrier.

+ to speedy barrier running man.

Thanks y’all but going fast was so 2015. Plus running is hard work. This quest is about taking unnecessary risks to potentially go slower.

Ok so watching the van der Poel video, he looks a lot more upright when he lifts up his front wheel. My arms are at more like a 45 degree angle pulling back. Landing with my weight too far back is the thing that is making me feel like I couldn’t possibly be ready for the next barrier.

@Pearl in your 2nd picture your body position looks much more like MvDP. Go out and take some slow-mo’s of yourself.

I can't think of a single American pro that hops from the tops. Can you?
Since Adam Craig retired? Nope, not one. (I didn't get that there was a difference, but I totally see it now. Euros are about 50/50 tops or hoods. We're all hoods.
Found this on the Stages site (yet another "It's easy, just hop!"):

Back
Top Bottom