Honda Dealership

Shaggz

A strong 7
Looking to pull the trigger n a new vehicle in the next week or so (hopefully sooner). Does anyone here work in sales or know someone who does? I want to avoid the "let me talk to my manager" BS. I found a broker who can get me a pretty good deal, while avoiding the "let me talk too my manager" and finance office BS, but figured I would ask here, as well.

Looking to pull the trigger n a new vehicle in the next week or so (hopefully sooner). Does anyone here work in sales or know someone who does? I want to avoid the "let me talk to my manager" BS. I found a broker who can get me a pretty good deal, while avoiding the "let me talk too my manager" and finance office BS, but figured I would ask here, as well.

I'll say that my experience at DMC Honda was pretty good. I had emailed a bunch of dealerships, DHC was the one that came back with the lowest price, came in and a different salesperson honored it without an issue. From walking in to purchase was minimal time. Every other dealership was the normal PITA

They seem to run that place like a Starbucks. Instead of trying to upsell you and jerk you around, they actually just want to sell you the car and move onto the next customer.

But like do like JerseyPete. Email every dealer within a 2 hour radius. You'll see real quick who wants to make a sale without jerking you around.

Last edited:
I did the over the phone. Asked sales for manager, this is what I want and will be buying within a week. Give me your best cash price. Called every dealer within 60 miles. Mind you my neighbor is a sales guy at Clinton. Worked every dealer using best price against them. Neighbor bailed said couldn't get anywhere close to Ray Price. Used this same method before same vehicle and Ray Price was the winner before. Pa. Also has a cheaper doc fees like a lot cheaper. That being said we ended up changing route and bought lease turn in the end from DHC in paramus. Would not recommend them, thought they were a factory. Very difficult to deal with.

I did the over the phone. Asked sales for manager, this is what I want and will be buying within a week. Give me your best cash price. Called every dealer within 60 miles. Mind you my neighbor is a sales guy at Clinton. Worked every dealer using best price against them. Neighbor bailed said couldn't get anywhere close to Ray Price. Used this same method before same vehicle and Ray Price was the winner before. Pa. Also has a cheaper doc fees like a lot cheaper. That being said we ended up changing route and bought lease turn in the end from DHC in paramus. Would not recommend them, thought they were a factory. Very difficult to deal with.
Just curious, what was the issue you had?

I bought a base Honda Fit with absolutely no options and no adders. So it may have been different for me. After we agreed it did get annoying getting shuffled between the finance guy, guy pressuring you to buy the extended warranty, etc. But nothing out of the ordinary of buying a car. More of a time suck than anything else.

DCH Kay Honda was pretty good to us. A few things to help you in the battle is to have very good credit. Also once you decide on the price or if they can’t beat another price, Ask what accessories they can add to sweeten the deal.
What worked for me was telling them what I want to spend a month and they either said yay or nay.... then let them sit on their offer for a day- and they will surely follow up with you. From there, you can play the game of saying you can get a comparable vehicle for less money a month- they WILL budge because they have to move the inventory ASAP.

What vehicle are you looking at? I picked up a 21’ Odyssey EX-L for 35k

Mind you my neighbor is a sales guy at Clinton.
Is your neighbor Joe V? I bought mine from Clinton. I walked in the door, told them what I wanted, what I wanted to spend and I swear I was out of there with a new car in less than 30 minutes. Even gave me $1000 for my old car in which I assumed was worth absolutely nothing.

I'm guessing you don't want to wait, but my wife and I are in the process of ordering a Tesla (estimated 2-5 weeks for delivery, we ordered last week) and I really like the fact that the price is the price, no negotiation. Then there's the savings from going electric, $5k rebate in new Jersey, and gas savings (charging from home looks like we would pay 25% as much as we would on gas and my wife will be plugging in at work for free charging). The more I read about it, the more Tesla makes sense for us. Of course the range may not work for some, but even if we use it for longer road trips we always stop for the toddlers anyway.

I bought my Fit at Paul Miller Honda in West Caldwell. I did have to speak to the manager a few times, but it went pretty quick. I think I was out the door in just under an hour. I walked in with printouts for every certified pre-owned Fit within a hundred miles or so, told them I didn't want to drive to these other places and would pay $x for theirs. Eventually they agreed, I put down a deposit, and then talked to the warranty guy briefly. I was paying cash so I didn't have to deal with financing people. It's annoying that I couldn't just buy it on Amazon, but it was much less bad than I was expecting.

Just curious, what was the issue you had?

I bought a base Honda Fit with absolutely no options and no adders. So it may have been different for me. After we agreed it did get annoying getting shuffled between the finance guy, guy pressuring you to buy the extended warranty, etc. But nothing out of the ordinary of buying a car. More of a time suck than anything else.
Typical pressure sales of a used car salesman. With a surprise around every corner. If you dont read along on every contract there are hidden gems in there.
I have with both Clinton (FIT) and Ray Price (Ridgelines) had no hidden agendas. The followup was they had my plates for weeks and wouldn't of know if cop told me my temps were 2 months over due. Called with a nasty you were supposed to pick them up, Nooo miss fancy pants agreement you were mailing. Then came an issue with a warranty situation but enough, they sucked during and after.

No @capedoc Charlie Bipart but yeah they are a pretty decent to deal with. So if you go to Clinton mention me to Charlie.

Thanks for all the feedback. Funny, I was emailing RP prior to coming back here.

Looking to buy new, Honda Ridgeline (I would prefer to buy preowned, but GL finding a 2020). At one point I considered a Tesla, but the engine on my my Hyundai was just replaced under warranty - win for the good guys! This will replace my wife's Mazda CX-5, and I want something a little bigger that we could use to tow a small trailer.

No luck with Carvana, but they did give me a decent cash offer for the Mazda. We are trying to sell privately, because just like bikes, inexpensive used cars are like gold. We found this out the hard way shopping for a car for my son.

@JimN, I was surprised that Paul Miller in WC pricing was so reasonable without even starting the dance.

A buddy of mine turned me on to a broker whose initial pricing was reasonable. The nice part is his fee is covered by the dealer network. Only fees are DMV and $75 processing, bonus none of the typical dealership games.

@JerseyPete and @mattybfat - who handles registration, plates, taxes with a PA purchase?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Funny, I was emailing RP prior to coming back here.

Looking to buy new, Honda Ridgeline (I would prefer to buy preowned, but GL finding a 2020). At one point I considered a Tesla, but the engine on my my Hyundai was just replaced under warranty - win for the good guys! This will replace my wife's Mazda CX-5, and I want something a little bigger that we could use to tow a small trailer.

No luck with Carvana, but they did give me a decent cash offer for the Mazda. We are trying to sell privately, because just like bikes, inexpensive used cars are like gold. We found this out the hard way shopping for a car for my son.

@JimN, I was surprised that Paul Miller in WC pricing was so reasonable without even starting the dance.

A buddy of mine turned me on to a broker whose initial pricing was reasonable. The nice part is his fee is covered by the dealer network. Only fees are DMV and $75 processing, bonus none of the typical dealership games.

@JerseyPete and @mattybfat - who handles registration, plates, taxes with a PA purchase?
They do.

Stay away from Joyce Honda - horrible.
If we are going there, add Sussex honda.
They came back thousands over the others. Then harassed me. I sent a scathing email to the sales girl, had manager call and told me I was a lier and wanted proof. Sent him a copy of Ray Prices offer and told him to shove this quote far up his ass. I still get spammed to death by them ;)

Clinton Phillipsburg were very competitive, but RP was just too good they both folded.

Time to buy is end of the month. Especially Nov and Dec. Dealerships need to hit quotas so best deals are had last days of the month.

Joyce did very little before folding.

I would stay away from Planet Honda on 22 in Union. They switched out good tires for bald, when my daughter picked up a 3 year old CRV that they were "prepping" overnight. She drove it about 800 miles like that before we found out and I had to buy a new set of tires. Scum of the earth.

I used Tom McParland [ Jalopnik Shopper ] to buy my Highlander three years ago and had it delivered. This obviates the dealer's place of business leverage. It took a week, but got the deal that I wanted.

Open Road Honda in Edison was a decent purchase on my wife's CR-V... But Freehold Subaru is outstanding and the paperwork at Freehold Subaru was clear with NO fine print at all, all clear so they earned my trust, I bought a 2020 Crosstrek with them, they also sell Dodge, definitely no bull, I previously purchased a 2018 Crosstrek at Open Road Subaru of Union and they try to stiff me when I knew my credit was always right(they gave me the not enough credit history bullshit) so I yelled at them and almost walked out, the 2018 got totaled by Academy Bus on the Parkway back in December 23rd last year and my manager recommend Freehold Subaru, like I said quick and easy with the paperwork, I'm a Honda guy by heart but it is hard to trust a dealer on this days

Last edited:
For reference my current odyssey is my 7th one.

Call Clinton Honda ask for Joe Vizzi. I did the whole lease on my ‘19 Odyssey EX over email and the phone. I did have a little time suck picking it up for the usual finance guy warranty thing but that’s most places anyway. PM me if you want to mention my name that I sent you.

Ironically I used to work with him years ago when he was at Sussex. Only he could work out great deals for me but when I tried to use them last time they are waaaayyy over priced and too aggressive.

Also follow the advice stay away from Planet Honda that place is nothing but one big scam. Also Joyce Honda does excellent service but I could never make a sale with them.

Hackettstown Honda changed hands recently last few years. I got one of my minivans from them a few years back but could not find a decent sales person since then

I know this is way off topic. But I bought my Wife’s VW atlas from Flemington on NYE. There were a million of these things for sale all over NJ, so it sounds different than the Honda. But I’ve never been offered such a good price that fast. They tried to sell me a loaded demo, but I wanted new. Once we got past that it was crazy.

I also brought both kids (7 and 5 at the time) and they could not wait to get me out of there.

I think the Flemington dealerships are great to work with but you usually don’t get a great price. But in this day I feel like I stole something.

Back
Top Bottom