Homemade VR bike training

ellbiddy

So I got bored over the past few days and decided I'd put all my electronics junk laying around to use so I rigged up a small microcontroller (PIC16) to a hall effect sensor on my wheel and made a small magnetic wheel speed sensor. Then I'd use some super simple maths to get a good approximation to speed. Using the speed I'd send it over a serial connection to my PC which is running a botched version of VLC where it uses VLC's API to set the playback level with respect to the speed on my rear wheel which gives an adequate effect of having to mash out hills (it makes it easier if you know how fast you were going during recording, so GPS data for that is really valuable, eventually I might write something that imports data like that auto magically). I then have my "second monitor" as my 52" LCD TV with some high quality videos running.

I don't have a trainer hooked up because what I really want to do is embed some data in the audio track of the video to act as the physical "resistance" and then use that value to set the resistance of the trainer, the problem being that most trainers don't have a variable resistance setter and it's based mostly on your speed. So that when in the video you hit a hill the video sends some data over the serial port to the trainer which can mush a solenoid or something to increase the resistance. That way you have a fully interactive training thing going on. I'm still thinking about how to go about doing that last part if anyone has any ideas feel free to throw them out. Also if anyone is interested in playing with it I'm setting up all the code on SVN tonight so you can checkout the latest version (gets updated nightly).

Sometimes cycling in your underwear at home is more fun than in your lycra outside ;)

Edit: The uC's I use are freely available as samples from microchip and the rest of the "hardware" is like 3-10$ worth most of which I have spares of laying around so if anyone wants to jerry-rig something like this it would cost next to nothing :p

Last edited:

J-Dro

Hmm well I have trainerophobia so I can't really help with that part. But I'm dying to see some pics of your setup when its mature. Rube Goldberg would be proud!

ArmyOfNone

What the hell did he just say???

That sounds pretty cool even not having a clue what is going on.

I changed a light bulb today. :D

pinkshirtphotos

well from what he said in my thread. its like a kids bike that you can control a video game with but im not to sure. lots of nerd jargin

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
Confused%20Bush.jpg

kush

It is rather simple

First thing Leo says is that "I need a girlfriend" :rofl:

Then he says

1. I made a wheel speed sensor from junk laying around the house

2. I'm feeding speed or feedback to a media player on my PC. This is where I get lost a bit, why do you need "super simple maths etc."? And what exactly shows up on your VLC, screenshot pls

3. In any case, Biddy wants to have a virtual reality machine that literally makes his trainer react to the videos he's got going - so if it projects a hill, the resistance will increase to match. If it's going down hill, it will relax. Etc. I think.

But the main issue seems to be how to translate the video ups and downs into a corresponding signal for the solenoid in the trainer to vary the resistance, and he needs help with that. So pitch in, folks :)

PS, I didn't find anything on SVN, but if you give me a linky or send me stuff, I can ask some guys at work who may dig the challenge. It is a pretty cool sounding concept.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sorry to do this, but...

I'm still thinking about how to go about doing that last part if anyone has any ideas feel free to throw them out.

Yeah, take this crap back to Radio Shack and ride outside. It has the following features:

* wind to simulate wind
* hills to simulate hills
* roots to simulate roots
* [thing] to simulate [thing]

You're kinda preaching to the choir because I did anything and everything to make the trainer fun in 2006 and 2007. You know where it led me? Outside in 2008.

ellbiddy

It is rather simple

First thing Leo says is that "I need a girlfriend" :rofl:

Then he says

1. I made a wheel speed sensor from junk laying around the house

2. I'm feeding speed or feedback to a media player on my PC. This is where I get lost a bit, why do you need "super simple maths etc."? And what exactly shows up on your VLC, screenshot pls

VLC just takes the calculated speed from the sensor (maths done eon the microcontroller) and adjusts the playback rate. But VLC also sends data to the trainer (data embedded in the audio track) in order to adjust resistance on the trainer. I don't want to spend 600$ on stuff I can do at home for like $10 to get 90% the same experience. I'm not trying to substitute riding outside, I'm trying to enhance riding inside :p Total cost right now to be is $0 my only out of pocket expense is a cheap magnetic trainer (~$130) to get the full effect.

So I am trying to reinvent something out there in the same sense that the linux guys did ;) All about freedom of knowledge hah! I'll have a nice detailed write up for you guys once I finish

Last edited:

sixseven

Freerider2 is about as VR as I go.
If you can sync that thing up to the Redbull Rampage videos I would love to try it. Huge air sounds good, hill climbing in the basement not so much.
I could loan you a sweaty jersey to hang in front for more effect. ;)
Sounds like a cool project, cheap too...me being a cheapskate likes that.

J-Dro

If you can sync that thing up to the Redbull Rampage videos I would love to try it. Huge air sounds good, hill climbing in the basement not so much.

:rofl: This is a 'post of the week' nominee right here. :rofl:

Top Bottom