Holy Ice Batman!

Snow Tires + Ice is no better than R-Compounds + Ice.

We didn't have snow today, the problem wasn't even the slush. The problem was patches of ice.

Outside of studs in what we had today it's all about the driving.

-Steve

Snow Tires + Ice is no better than R-Compounds + Ice.

We didn't have snow today, the problem wasn't even the slush. The problem was patches of ice.

Outside of studs in what we had today it's all about the driving.

-Steve

exactly my point

I counted 21 wrecked cars from rockaway to fairfield. My GF (who works in morristown's ER) told me that the had nearly 100 people inthe ER with ice related injuried (car accidents included). This was unusual weather day in that it appeared to be raining, yet some surfaces were icing over. So many people were just not paying attention. I really dont think snow tires would have made much of a difference. Every bridge I passed had a wrecked car on it. So it didnt seem like many people were paying attention to the "Bridges freeze before roadway" signs.

I often hear people say the 4wd does not help you on ice. I TOTALLY disagree. I proved it today when I got home to my steep and ice covered driveway. My toyota would not budge in 2wd. In 4wd, it motored right up with little trouble. Doesnt mean you can drive on ice like its dry pavement, but its def helpful.

I disagree. Snow tires have more grip on the ice and built up sleet than regular tires. The tread is a lot more flexible and doesn't break free as easy becaues of it. Plus all the tread is sharp and zig zagged to make more surface areas on the edge of each tread block. Also all the blocks of tread are then cut into segments of zig zags so when you put pressure on the block, even more tread edge is exposed to touch the surface sharply.

manana

What's the prognosis for tomorrow for getting to and mtbing around ringwood/ramapo, tomorow Monday Dec 14th? I was fairly set on MTBing on Monday. I've seen accidents in rainy weather year round on skyline drive.

Also, although it rained most of the day today. It was faily light here in bergen county. My dad drove around greenwood lake on saturday, and imho monday, canonball will not be rideable but shepherd lake fire roads will be okay, some single track around weyble rideable, roads in general will be okay on mtb but not suitable for skinny tires:hmmm:

I disagree. Snow tires have more grip on the ice and built up sleet than regular tires. The tread is a lot more flexible and doesn't break free as easy becaues of it. Plus all the tread is sharp and zig zagged to make more surface areas on the edge of each tread block. Also all the blocks of tread are then cut into segments of zig zags so when you put pressure on the block, even more tread edge is exposed to touch the surface sharply.

And all that goes out the window when it's on ice. The tires don't grip at all unless there are studs.

As to 4WD vs 2WD that's great for getting up a steep driveway. My concern is not slamming my car into a guardrail or worse while on a road. That's why I use snow tires.

Today really was an oddball. That's why there were so many accidents. I saw a few spots on 287 where people clearly were coming off on-ramps onto an ice rink.

-Steve

And all that goes out the window when it's on ice. The tires don't grip at all unless there are studs.

As to 4WD vs 2WD that's great for getting up a steep driveway. My concern is not slamming my car into a guardrail or worse while on a road. That's why I use snow tires.

Today really was an oddball. That's why there were so many accidents. I saw a few spots on 287 where people clearly were coming off on-ramps onto an ice rink.

-Steve

well a 4wd truck certainly does not make you immune to the conditions, but I would take my 4wd truck with bald tires on it, over my saturn with blizzaks any day. The difference in braking on ice is STAGGERING. I have been on roads that were solid ice in 2wd. Locked up sliding. Shifted the truck into 4wd and the front brakes came right back. The power to the front wheels helps alot with keeping them from locking up.

What's the prognosis for tomorrow for getting to and mtbing around ringwood/ramapo, tomorow Monday Dec 14th? I was fairly set on MTBing on Monday. I've seen accidents in rainy weather year round on skyline drive.

Also, although it rained most of the day today. It was faily light here in bergen county. My dad drove around greenwood lake on saturday, and imho monday, canonball will not be rideable but shepherd lake fire roads will be okay, some single track around weyble rideable, roads in general will be okay on mtb but not suitable for skinny tires:hmmm:

I was with Dan and Co for most of the 7:30 - 11:00 ride, though after a disc brake malfunction, I turned around about 3/4 into the ride and took a few of the r'wood fire roads back. As Ellen said, the hunter's trucks have done some serious driving on them, and they are a mess. The singletrack was incredible, though.

I think for tomorrow you may find a mix. If you stick to the trails on the western end of the park (e.g. Warm Puppy, Skylands, etc), you should be fine. Deeper (east) into the park), the rain will have either formed a crust or sogged it up. I rode Warm Puppy down today on my way back, and it was 100% rideable...fair amount of traffic on it, and a decent amount of dirt...whatever you do, avoid the fire roads...they suck.

Yeah...I was one of the unfortunate dudes who got in a fender bender after finishing up a ride @ the Jungle; my car apparently likes going sideways even with 4wd....:cry:

well a 4wd truck certainly does not make you immune to the conditions, but I would take my 4wd truck with bald tires on it, over my saturn with blizzaks any day. The difference in braking on ice is STAGGERING. I have been on roads that were solid ice in 2wd. Locked up sliding. Shifted the truck into 4wd and the front brakes came right back. The power to the front wheels helps alot with keeping them from locking up.

If putting your truck in 4wd makes your brakes work better, you are doing something wrong.

I didnt say that. Has nothing at all to do with brakes. Go back and read my post.

K, I'm not the only one who is confused right?

Back
Top Bottom