Holiday Cross...12/2/07...

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
2 more races in the NJ Cross Cup series...Get those points!!

http://www.bikereg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=5490

See you all out there!!

-Jim.

Jim - I'd like to do a cross race this winter but don't have a cross bike. Can I ride my MTB? Do I need drop handlebars? Or is it just that bar ends are prohibited? Also, I don't understand the roadie class system. I'm 32 and race beginner XC (most likely sport next year). What category am I? Are the masters categories the more beginner? Appreciate the help - Justin

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
An mtb is cool, no drop bars are required.

The Masters races are fast, particularly the 35+. The best race for a 1st timer is the "C" race.

Cross is super-fun! Go on out and have a blast!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Ditto...Take off your bar ends and bottle cages and race with the C's, you'll have a blast!!

-Jim.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Why bottle cages?
They get in the way if you need to shoulder the bike.

It's funny, but having done only a few CX races this season, the whole drinking thing is notable to me. No one carries water, supposedly because the cage gets in the way, or there's no time to drink because you're going so damn hard, but I really think a lot of it is fashion and ritual. If you're suitcasing your bike, which is all some courses call for, a bottle is not in the way. And going flat-out for 40-45 minutes is enough to build one hell of a thirst, no matter how well hydrated you are at the start.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the clarification, G. Can I call you G? :)

And going flat-out for 40-45 minutes is enough to build one hell of a thirst, no matter how well hydrated you are at the start.

Symptoms of dehydration are said to start at something like 10-15 minutes. Even if it's 1-2% of performance, that's something.

Steve Vai

Some of the organizers actually ban bottles and will disqualify you for feeding during a race...Luckily the rule applies across the board so everyone's on a level playing field...The guy in the lead is just as thirsty as the guy at the back...

ArmyOfNone

I blame the roadies...its all their fault.

I stick a piece of gum in my mouth and it seems to keep things moist. I gotta say tho i never have really wished i had a water bottle, the race is over b4 you know it.

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
My hands hurt from hammering stakes in!! Fred will you be attending this event??

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
All's well and I'll be there (re)taping the course in the am.This is going to be MISERABLY AWESOME!!See yall in the mornin'.............

Steve Vai

Great fun today!! Course was super fun and the snow made it that much more awesomer!! It was a little cold, I wore 2 long-sleeve baselayers, thermafleece tights, 3 pairs of wool socks, 2 pairs of gloves, a thermal long-sleeve jersey, and a wool cap under my helmet!! I also ended up on the podium in the B's :D
See everyone next week for the NJCX finals...
l_3ebea502a492c223c8efea7b438b2a0f.jpg

ArmyOfNone

I was down south to play in the snow at the walstib cx race. Not a super turn out but we sure did make the best of it! I MAYBE could have podiumed but i ate it on the first lap and wasnt able to recover. grrr

Steve Vai

You have chosen unwisely young grasshopper...for all the cool kids were up north:cool:

Top Bottom