Hitch Mounted Bike Rack Wobble?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Question... do all hitch mounted bike racks wobble a bit?
What I mean is that mine tends to wobble a bit... not violently, when going over bumps and such. On nice flat roads, no problem at all and the thing looks pretty solid.

I am just wondering if I am making this thread because I feel guilty for buy a cheap Allen Sports rack...
It is a Allen Sport Delux for 3 bikes attached to a Curt Class 1 1.25" hitch.
I would usually have my Giant Talon, a Walgoose MTB and Giant Halfwheeler on this damn thing.

Going to be taking a 1hr highway trip this weekend and I am somewhat nervous and need some reassurance.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
mine does this too, its kind of scary. especially with a lowered car, sometimes i think its going to fly off. ill see if i can come up with and fixes.

hmmm, i found this: http://www.stowaway2.com/store/products/601/StowAway-Hitch-Tightener
Hitch_tightener_large_whiteout.jpg

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I am pretty sure I use the correct no wobble bolt and the correct hole.
As far as I can tell, there is no movement.... at least at the point of attachment to the hitch.

The rack itself is basically 3 pieces bolted together.

Maybe what I need to do is weld those 3 pieces together?

ChrisRU

Threaded hitch pin is what you want. The threaded bolt snugs the rack to the receiver and eliminates any wobble.

If your rack or hitch has some movement in it, you'll want to tighten up whatever is loose.

ChrisRU

It sounds like your rack is flexing ("wobbling a bit") from the load your putting on it. This is normal, as long as you aren't exceeding the load limits or the hitch or rack it should be fine. Things move around at highway speeds :popcorn:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i think its my rack that has something loose in it, i think tonight ill try and figure it out

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
flexing... makes sense.
Class 1 has a 200lbs limit so even with the weight of the rack itself, it should be no more than 150lbs... I think

ChrisRU

i think its my rack that has something loose in it, i think tonight ill try and figure it out
You running a T2? The bolts/nuts on the pivot linkage can be snugged up and that cuts down on play. When I got my rack used it had a bit of play and tightening these up made a big difference. Just dont tighten too much or it won't fold anymore.

Pagliacci

I'm on my 2nd 2 inch rack, and 5th vehicle/receiver hitch. Always had threaded pins to snug the rack, but they always wobble a little. Best way to fix it is to turn up the radio.

greeek32

i use a non threaded pin and mine wobbles like hell. i used to worry about it but it's been years and i've never lost a bike. I do try to be careful over bumps and potholes.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Turn up the radio... got it!
Will give it a go!

By chance if you guys hear of a pileup on the turnpike on Saturday due to bike/s falling off.... that would be me

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any rack with a regular slide-through pin will wobble. If you want one that doesn't wobble as much, get one that has a threaded pin that you have to use a wrench or ratchet on. Even with all of this, every rack will have play in the design. I'm guessing the play is there so that the rack arms or the bikes themseleves don't take a huge beating anytime you hit a bump or pothole with your car.

greeek32

Turn up the radio... got it!
Will give it a go!

By chance if you guys hear of a pileup on the turnpike on Saturday due to bike/s falling off.... that would be me

I would have guessed the pile up would be you unleashing the hounds of balthazar upon the world to extinguish the light and bring us into the age of terror and ash! :D

Top Bottom