Hippo Cross 2019

easyasballinacup

First things first. Go sign up for Lucky Cross, its gonna be a real ripper Lucky Charm Cyclocross v2.0. What are you waiting for?!?!?!

Second things second Hippo Cross is lurking in the shadows and I hope everyone can make it out to race or join the party. Make moves and register, Hippo Cross Registration.

Now on to the nitty gritty details....

-The Course. It was really muddy last year. Sorry. So in true hippo fashion, new race location and new course! I am picking everything up and moving it to higher ground in case of rain. The goal is to give everyone a better race experience. As fun as playing in the mud can be I just didnt get the warm and fuzzies after last years overly muddy conditions. so onward and upward to higher ground. The start, (pro log) its on smooth pavement. The finish, its also on pavement. So bring some sprinting legs! 2/3 of the course rolls through grazzy fields with some elevation change, and i have already made 3 cuts in hopes of avoiding grass build up on the bikes drive-train. 1/3 of the course is on very fast mountain bike trail. Its wide double track but it will be fast and techy for a cx bike(i will get some pictures of the terrain up this week). The pit will have a power washer just in case.

-Juniors. They will always race for free at Hippo.

-Race Announcer. Always more fun when we know whats going on so Bill Elliston will be enchanting all of us with his deep voice and long locks. He may even ride in on a gaint clam shell.

-For the Kiddos. I will build another mini cross course for the kids who are to young to race but want to be awesome like mom and dad. There will be a kids "race" of this course at 1230 and they can certainly ride it all day. Any Kids who bring a bike to Hippo Cross get free Rainbow Italian Ice on me. woowhooo!

-Food and Coffee. Yep got that too. we will be able to process credit cards on site, but cash is always king. Food vendor will have vegetarian options avaible.

-Hippo Schwag - We will have it, but more importantly all money (not just the profits) from T-shirts, Hats, Pint glasses or Coffee mugs purchased will be going to the Cordasco Family. Greg being a dear friend of mine and a man who looked after so many in the cycling world I feel its the least we could do to help his family and have a great day of cycling in his honor. I will leave it at that and thank you for the support.

-Beer - com'on did you even have to ask? beer garden opens at 11am. River Horse will be on the taps. And a little birdie told me that a small craft brewery located in Hopewell is working on something special for everyone. More on that later.

-Thank You MTBNJ. Thanks for supporting Hippo Cross over the years. Its the racers that make this event happen year in and out. MTBNJ crew has been supporting since year one and its a real privilege to try and put on a great event for everyone. With that being said if there is anything you want to see happen at Hippo, please let me know and if we can make it happen we will.

-Kyle

Last edited:

easyasballinacup

KIMG1391.JPG

KIMG1390.JPG

Most of the wooded section will look like this. We will clean it up and move any rocks and sticks out of the way, but some spots will still have some exposed roots/rocks. You will be in the woods for about .5 mile most of which is down hill.

KIMG1389.JPG

This will be the exit from the wooded section. Fast downhill 90 degree turn on to pavement uphill to the finish straight.

KIMG1386.JPG

After the paved climb, sweeping right hand turn on to the home stretch. Team tents and beer garden will line the finishing straight. Much fun to be had.

More pictures and details tomorrow.

easyasballinacup

We will be doing another prize give away. This time all riders already reg'd and all riders who register before Tuesday end of day will be in the running to win. Stay tuned ya won't be pissed!

The Kalmyk

Novice Question Alert- Cyclocross follow the same pattern as mtb and road racing correct? So a slug like myself would sign up for cat 4/5 40plus if I never did a cyclocross race before?

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Novice Question Alert- Cyclocross follow the same pattern as mtb and road racing correct? So a slug like myself would sign up for cat 4/5 40plus if I never did a cyclocross race before?
Or the Cat 5
A lot of the 4/5 40+ are 4’s.
Either was is fine tho. Do it. These guys put on a big awesome party, that also has a bike race.
Bummed to miss this year, got a wedding to go to.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, seriously poor scheduling on their part. If I was in NJ I would definitely be registered.

One of the best run cross races out there.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
in for raffle. hopefully schedule allows me to actually show up!

Top Bottom