Hillsboro to chimney rock on MTB

all_mt_clyde

I’m getting some work done on my car in Hillsboro Saturday morning. Google maps says it’s 8 miles and about an hour to get to Chimney Rock from US-206, who’s is OK as the estimate is 3-5 hours, but not OK because that a long time on pavement, in traffic, on an MTB. Wondering if locals had suggestions or I should plan to take my road bike and ride west of 206. Thanks.

I’m getting some work done on my car in Hillsboro Saturday morning. Google maps says it’s 8 miles and about an hour to get to Chimney Rock from US-206, who’s is OK as the estimate is 3-5 hours, but not OK because that a long time on pavement, in traffic, on an MTB. Wondering if locals had suggestions or I should plan to take my road bike and ride west of 206. Thanks.

Where in hillsboro?
Might be able to suggest a cut through, but it is painful to climb up to CR from rt 22.

Sourlands or 6MR might be a better choice.

Agree with sourland or 6mile. I've considered a number of times riding d&r towpath and back between hillsborough and chimney rock. It is about 5 or 6 miles on the towpath between amwell road and queen bridge in bound brook. two path would only add a couple of miles compared to 206.

towpath...for sure...

i've done that a bunch, but from edison...it's sort of the same, just the oppo direction

from bound brook, take vosseler across rte 28, left on william, right on thompson, up and over 22 onto chimney rock road...unless you want to climb vosseler...

here's a ride i did recently where i hooked up from towpath to CR

Great road biking in that area, for what it is worth. Echoing other sentiments though, Sourlands is IN Hillsborough and has similar technical features and climbing to CR imo. If you haven't been there before, don't be scared off by the links calling it the most technical riding in NJ. Yes, it has some tough technical bits, but nothing you couldn't walk the bike over if you're not feeling it (I have plenty). Even if you do, there's plenty of fun to still be had there.

I’m with the Sourlands/6MR camp. You could do both (I think it’s 8 miles of road between). There is some road construction being done on East Mountain Road so make sure that is open otherwise your ride to the trailhead could be a little long.

I’m with the Sourlands/6MR camp. You could do both (I think it’s 8 miles of road between). There is some road construction being done on East Mountain Road so make sure that is open otherwise your ride to the trailhead could be a little long.

East Mountain is open - Mountain View is closed.

I’ve managed to make it to the trailhead without using Mountain View - so it can be done. I think with the bypass closer to done, those days may be over.

yup - from that far north on 206, i'd jump on the train tracks behind the shop, ride south, take the cut-off behind the ymca, use the old rail bed cut to get to east mountain road, and across amwell - then pipeline into the field across from the park - but i live here....

train tracks to beekman, through the development into mountain view park, then the field side roads to the parking lot.
there is a stream crossing, but the quad tracks will show the dry area.

This is the article that I've seen floating about, which is questionable at best.

I know there is a whole other thread here about technical trails in NJ. Sourlands is definitely up there, but there are other contenders north of 80 as @xc6801 alludes to. Plus, what makes a trail technically challenging is so personal. I just can't wrap my head around Black Magic in Mahlon Dickerson, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who have cleared that dab-free!

That comment is referring to Sourlands, not Chimney Rock. I stand by Sourlands being most technical.
Yes understood. Sourlands has some nice rock. Again - come north of 80. The fun parts of Wildcat and Fugawe would change your mind.

Yes understood. Sourlands has some nice rock. Again - come north of 80. The fun parts of Wildcat and Fugawe would change your mind.
Have ridden Wildcat (and ringwood, jungle, mahlon, wayway, mooch etc.) and still think Sourlands packs more tech per mile - especially if you take all the option lines. Need a tour of Fugawe sometime though.

Have ridden Wildcat (and ringwood, jungle, mahlon, wayway, mooch etc.) and still think Sourlands packs more tech per mile - especially if you take all the option lines. Need a tour of Fugawe sometime though.

I think the big difference is that these are mapped trails in a park - seems like wildcat is mostly user contributed info - and i'm not even sure where fugawe is (is it actually legal, or is it some water co land) - some of the features scared me. most of them were fun.
There are lost lines in the Sourlands - after the land went to the county, the really technical stuff was never maintained cause big trees and chainsaws needed.
I'll point a few out.
We need a @J-Dro led tour. Maybe you can convince @Kirt to play!

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions