Hikers Take Action

Shaggz

A strong 7
I found this post by Mike Vitti of CLIMB:
Just got this action alert from a national hiking organization, they are lobbying to reverse the ruling by Bush to give individual park managers within the National Park Service the right to allow mountain biking within their park.

I suggest we use the action alert link to fill out a pro mountain biking message. This will in effect, cancel their lobbying effort. Please forward to your local MTB clubs and forums:

Take Action to Ensure that the National Park Service Maintains its Current Regulation on Bicycle Route Designation

Hikers, the National Park Service is considering a plan to relax their regulations that govern bicycles on trails - a change potentially made without public notice, review or comment. This could allow Park Superintendents to discriminately designate trails and trail use.

American Hiking Society supports the full involvement of hikers in policy development, funding, and planning and management decisions that potentially impact access to and the conservation of public recreation lands and the hiking experience.

Contact Secretary of the Interior Kempthorne and let him know that the hiking community's steadfast support and commitment to the National Park System is built on trust, transparency and full public engagement in their planning and regulatory decision-making processes.

Take action to make your voice heard by clicking HERE:

http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/...mpaign_KEY=745

-------------------end

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Notice that the subject line in that automatic e-mail cannot be edited, and only references hiking. My guess is that the interior dept will not get past the subject line, and will only see the "hikers" in it and judge that it's a pro-hiking e-mail, even if you change the body of the text to be pro mountain bike. So I wouldn't use that automated link.

Hopefully IMBA will put up their own automated e-mail comment link that we can use to send our comments opposing this. In the meantime I wouldn't add to the tally that the hiking proponents are trying to rack up...

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Also, this blatant fear-mongering by the AHS is unacceptable:

American Hiking Society opposes the use of mountain bicycles in designated wilderness areas and areas under consideration for wilderness designation. We support the current National Park Service policy for bicycle route designation [36 CFR 4.30].

The implication that this ruling would allow bicycles into designated wilderness areas is a complete distortion meant to prey on the fears of hikers.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Notice that the subject line in that automatic e-mail cannot be edited, and only references hiking. My guess is that the interior dept will not get past the subject line, and will only see the "hikers" in it and judge that it's a pro-hiking e-mail, even if you change the body of the text to be pro mountain bike. So I wouldn't use that automated link.

Hopefully IMBA will put up their own automated e-mail comment link that we can use to send our comments opposing this. In the meantime I wouldn't add to the tally that the hiking proponents are trying to rack up...

Jamie,

Drew from IMBA just dropped me a line. Basically, IMBA (Mike VA) is meeting with American Hiking Society next week and that this topic is on the agenda.

At this time IMBA is withholding an action alert until after the meeting and the decision. Drew requests that we "hold off on systematically asking mountain bikers to use the AHS alert: IMBA will have an alert as soon as the rule is dropped."

Cheers,
mergs

Top Bottom