Hikers Fall From Cliff at Hartshorne

w_b

Gotta say I'm shocked how callous people are here making fun of a couple nearly falling to their deaths - jeeze

can you imagine if they were on bikes???? WAY OUT

Capture.JPG

jklett

I still want to know where there's more than a 20 to 30 foot drop to the navesink. Two of the three articles above say they fell either almost or over 100 feet. Hell, falling 10 feet hurts but 100 is like what 10 stories?

AndyJ

I would almost bet this was the case. I have seen countless people climbing back up from that spot with a skunky odor in the air....
:D Yep, on many summer weekends you could smell the odor in the air if you stopped at the top. I'd frequently see groups of teens making their way down there. I guess it was a well-known spot for certain activities. There's no way these folks "accidentally" landed up there.. they knew they were wandering off the trail and got in over their heads.

I was wondering what prompted park officials to put up the "area closed" signs, complete with a graphic of a stick figure falling over a cliff.

I still want to know where there's more than a 20 to 30 foot drop to the navesink. Two of the three articles above say they fell either almost or over 100 feet. Hell, falling 10 feet hurts but 100 is like what 10 stories?
The trail is about 100 ft above sea level at its highest point there, so that's what they may be (incorrectly) going by. It's not a sheer drop from there, though a pretty steep climb down. In one of the reports, the 100 ft is a quote from the guy himself, but then the reporter more or less presents it as fact.

I'm impressed that Darlene Rodriguez pronounced the name correctly (harts-horne) in the NBC clip. The reporters in the other two clips used the common mispronunciation (hart-shorne).

Last edited:

TimBay

Is the area with the sign even a legit area to go? Like an overlook or something? And is that stick figure on the sign wearing an apple watch? Inquiring minds want to know.
It's rogue. The area where the picture was taken is the trail. Mostly just see kids smoking jazz cigarettes down there.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's rogue. The area where the picture was taken is the trail. Mostly just see kids smoking jazz cigarettes down there.
Gotcha. That's what I thought (and what others had suggested) but I'm not really familiar with the area.

Last edited:

SmooveP

There's a sort of "cave" about 20 feet down. It's actually more like a sketchy overhang. That's where the kids go to indulge in the aforementioned activities.

CrankAddictRich

I've ridden that park quite a bit and never got to a spot that felt remotely close to having any exposure. There's no way they were just walking along and fell....

TimBay

I've ridden that park quite a bit and never got to a spot that felt remotely close to having any exposure. There's no way they were just walking along and fell....
Don't worry, you'll see the yellow signs next time you ride there. Maybe they should put a big sign that explains what phones can do othere than twitter, tinder and snapchatting...nevermind. Whats funny is we saw 2 hikers right in that area after dark this week. No flashlights. I felt like they knew the trails tho.

mfennell

It's interesting that the county is off the hook on a technicality. It's a bad look but I guess it's the shortest path to making it go away.

But the fall also resulted in serious injuries that Prudenciano claims were caused because the trails in Hartshorne Woods were poorly maintained, marked and lit.
🤣

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions