Highbridge jumps/freeride/xc trail work days Mar 17 & 24

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Mark your calendars now- we need the biggest turnout of riders the city has ever seen to to knock out the dirt jump park, polish up the freeride trail, and assist IMBA subcontractors (and pro riders) Jeff Lenosky, Kyle Ebbett and Judd deVall in building our Highbridge dirt jump park in Inwood, Manhattan.

The full-time crew will be in there starting Monday, March 12, with heavy machinery. If you're available during the week to help out, we would love your help.

On Saturdays, March 17 & 24 starting at 9 am, we'll be amassing a small army of volunteers to help with the dirt jumps and pump track, as well as to rework sections of the freeride trail that need attention and continue work on some of the XC trails. This is a major opportunity to build amazing trails with the help of IMBA and NYC Parks (and some top national riders). Tell everyone you know!

The jump park is located at the northern tip of Highbridge Park in Inwood, Manhattan. Parking is available along Fort George Ave., and the park is easily accessible from the 1 train at Dyckman Street.

Click here for a Google Map

For more information, visit the NYCMTB.com forum or e-mail info (at) nycmtb.com

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
We mapped out the jump lines today at Highbridge. Here are some pics...

Judd DeVall and Jeff Lenosky:
DSCF2410.jpg

Pin flags marking out the jump lines:
DSCF2413.jpg

Discussing the finer points of berms:
DSCF2414.jpg

NJ Jess

So who's going

This sounds pretty cool. I've never built dirt jumps before, but since I want to do the Super D at Mt Snow this year,...I better learn quickly. They are supplying all the tools, except gloves,...and you get lunch. Do I believe you can get your Paydirt hours here too if you are planning to do the Campmor H2H series. Since the trails are too muddy to ride,..I figure I should just build them. Hope to see some mtbnj ers there.

Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
This is pretty awesome, I can't wait to see how it all turns out.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
If we get the 4-6 inches of snow tomorrow that's forecast, then no trailwork on Saturday. However, we've added another volunteer work day on March 31st- 9 am.

I'll file Paydirt for anyone racing the H2H series, of course. And you can preview the trails that will be used in our Highbridge XC MTB race on May 20. We've got some sweet trails already built, and more excellent trails on the way...

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Due to the exceedingly poor conditions, we're cancelling the Highbridge work day scheduled for tomorrow, March 17. Digging trails through several inches of snow and slush in 30-degree temps is not anyone's idea of fun, so we're going to cut our losses and try again next weekend.

Speaking of next weekend, please join us Saturday, March 24th at 9 am and the following weekend, Saturday, March 31st at 9 am for Highbridge volunteer trailbuilding days. Pro builders Judd De Vall, Jeff Lenosky and Kyle Ebbett will be there to lead groups of volunteers in three work projects- the XC skills loop trail, additional work on the freeride trail, and of course shaping the dirt jump park.

Thanks for bearing with us. See you next weekend...

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Construction is underway. This is the first of 13 trailer loads of dirt for the jump park. Come out and help this Saturday, March 24th...

highbridge-dirt.jpg

Photo: Francois Portmann

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
I only snapped a couple crappy photos, but here they are:

Jess and others working on the main line:

DSCF2433.jpg

Pump track at the end of the day:

DSCF2436.jpg

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Looking great, will be up there next weekend with a crew of derty jersey people.

Jess way to go, double TM weekend for you!

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Cool. Guys are up there working every day through next Saturday, and next Saturday is our last big volunteer work day while the IMBA pro builders are here.

I spent today with the family, but Mike Vitti posted this about today's work:

sick4surf said:
Thanx to everyone for showing up on Sunday.

Bob and a few of us worked on the drainage for the pump track. With the rain last night we were able to see where the puddles were situated.

They laid out 2' wide strips of plywood to make a few test runs on the dirt jumps.

Jeff got it dialed by the second run...Kyle had to go one better and did a 360 on his third run. Chris S represented NYC and whipped it....whipped it good!

We had alot of the local kids come out today and asked if they could help...they did a great job smoothing everything out and cleaning up the area.

Aaron Chase and a few other pros showed up to check it out.

Remember, we'll be working all week....come by to help out.

Monday morning were getting a late start...10am

See you then.

Top Bottom