High Gear Cyclery go out of biz?

Wow! That's a lot of stuff. Felt like now would be a good time for me to chime in. As a local shop owner who has been in the business for 24 years I felt like I might have something to add. First, I'd like to say that I am not looking for "mercy" business. We are continually trying to earn the patronage of our customers by providing good, honest advice, competent service, and a selection of products that offer good value. We are passionate riders who have a lot of experience and a passion for getting people out riding their bikes. Not because we are trying to turn a quick buck but because my wife and I really believe in the power of cycling to transform people's lives! We would love to work with you and you may find that it's not really any more expensive to work with us than Amazon, etc. We match a lot of online pricing and all of our service work is guaranteed. If you've never shopped at Cycle Craft or haven't in a long time, give us a shot. I'll even buy you a cup of coffee!
Brendan
Cycle Craft New Jersey

....Jersey really isn't known to have a great network of trail systems. I would say they are ok at best.

I don't know, I have multiple options within 30 minutes of my house, a couple within 5-10 minutes. Mooch/Stephens/Deer Park combination could probably get you a full day of riding without much time on the same trails. Depends where you live. Close to the city and South Jersey are probably tough.

To me it's more that people just don't do anything anymore. I've been to what I consider premier areas - Mahlon, Allamuchy, Stephens - on 60 degree sunny Saturdays with hardly any bikers in sight. Lewis Morris is the only place I go that could be considered somewhat crowded. When I started in the early/mid-90s, it seemed like everyone was out riding, but maybe that's because I was younger and more into the scene. It still feels like road riding is a big draw. Just look at the century rides; tons of people.

I dunno. People on it looked lethargic and goofy to me, but maybe that was years ago when they were young and immature and they weren't in a work environment. I don't pay attention to dope so I know nothing about the new variations.

If you get the chance, even if you don't imbibe, you should check out a dispensary when in CO, or MA (coming this summer) or any of the other 11 states that legalized recreational buds. The variation and specificity of each strain (as well as all the various new formats beyond bud, such as wax, oils, tinctures, edibles, etc.) is completely mind blowing and you truly get different effects and degree of effect depending on these variables. Can get as complicated (and convoluted) as wine or craft beer can. Big difference from being in high school and just getting a dime bag of "pot" from your local dealer.

Oh, and the actual retail establishments look very high end - think Apple Store or very high end juice bar. It's also an area that unlike bike shops, the local retailers are having no problem making money (at least for the time being).

I don't know, I have multiple options within 30 minutes of my house, a couple within 5-10 minutes. Mooch/Stephens/Deer Park combination could probably get you a full day of riding without much time on the same trails. Depends where you live. Close to the city and South Jersey are probably tough.

To me it's more that people just don't do anything anymore. I've been to what I consider premier areas - Mahlon, Allamuchy, Stephens - on 60 degree sunny Saturdays with hardly any bikers in sight. Lewis Morris is the only place I go that could be considered somewhat crowded. When I started in the early/mid-90s, it seemed like everyone was out riding, but maybe that's because I was younger and more into the scene. It still feels like road riding is a big draw. Just look at the century rides; tons of people.

Agree that the options in NJ are actually quite good, but with potential exception of Mtn Creek, I've never heard anyone from a non-adjacent state say they were making a trip to ride here. If you google "NJ mountain bike vacations" my bet is you get about zero relevant results, whereas for CO, NC, VT and others it's something people will actually plan vacations around.

When you visit areas that have MTB trails built by MTB people, you quickly realize how things could be different here. We have trails maintained by MTB folk which is great, but it seems that there is a good amount of restrictions on what can and cannot be done. Jersey has a good amount of variety which helps in quantity, but it's the quality that is ok at best.

When you look at effort vs reward factor, it's much less effort to come home and hop on your bike rather than venture out to a MTB trail. I feel that has a lot to do with the draw to road bikes.

When you visit areas that have MTB trails built by MTB people, you quickly realize how things could be different here. We have trails maintained by MTB folk which is great, but it seems that there is a good amount of restrictions on what can and cannot be done. Jersey has a good amount of variety which helps in quantity, but it's the quality that is ok at best.

When you look at effort vs reward factor, it's much less effort to come home and hop on your bike rather than venture out to a MTB trail. I feel that has a lot to do with the draw to road bikes.

While I think we have some great trails here, they are nowhere near as awesome as what's available in other places that yes, are designed as MTB trails.
BUT, we do have a wide variety and all within a short drive unless you live in South Jersey and you ride at Wharton... But seriously, Wawaywanda/Jungle/Ringwood/Six Mile/Allaire/Hartshorne provide a huge variety in the riding style. But nothing is destination riding unless you live on Long Island or NYC. And none of them are situated where you'd want to get a hotel/BnB whatever to spend a weekend.

Rick can chime in, but the stuff I saw @ Markham park in Florida was amazing, and it was pretty flat. But there were fees involved, yearly or daily and some kind of safety video to watch.

It had:
marked single direction trails
All the advanced section had easy reroutes
Advanced skills section
Separate pump track.
Number Markers everywhere, in the event help is needed.
Wooden sections with wall rides skinnies etc

Have a xc mtn bike specific park in NJ would be great.

I think nj has some great riding up north , it doesn't have the holy fuck if I fall I'm toast like Sedona and some other places . I did trail work last summer with a bunch of guys the have played in the nj rocks . A few of them want to go back to jungle . For a state that dense it's amazing the quality trails you can find & you truely can feel out in the woods . so I would say I disagree . That being said I hope I never have the opportunity to ride the east again .

Rick can chime in, but the stuff I saw @ Markham park in Florida was amazing, and it was pretty flat. But there were fees involved, yearly or daily and some kind of safety video to watch.

It had:
marked single direction trails
All the advanced section had easy reroutes
Advanced skills section
Separate pump track.
Number Markers everywhere, in the event help is needed.
Wooden sections with wall rides skinnies etc

Have a xc mtn bike specific park in NJ would be great.

What I liked about FL was the dedicated to mtbing only trails, some being one way so no worries about head-ons.

Yeah I like to bust on nj but seriously the trails here are pretty awesome IMO. Biggest issue I see is the best trails in my close-proximity are filled with hikers and/or yahoos on bikes. It's a big advantage to be able to ride when most people are working.

What I liked about FL was the dedicated to mtbing only trails, some being one way so no worries about head-ons.

Yeah I like to bust on nj but seriously the trails here are pretty awesome IMO. Biggest issue I see is the best trails in my close-proximity are filled with hikers and/or yahoos on bikes. It's a big advantage to be able to ride when most people are working.
Some trails without hikers would be so awesome, but will never happen here. Lucky we can ride where we can. And some places like the 6 Mile Amusement Park definitely should be one ways on some trails.

Wow! That's a lot of stuff. Felt like now would be a good time for me to chime in. As a local shop owner who has been in the business for 24 years I felt like I might have something to add. First, I'd like to say that I am not looking for "mercy" business. We are continually trying to earn the patronage of our customers by providing good, honest advice, competent service, and a selection of products that offer good value. We are passionate riders who have a lot of experience and a passion for getting people out riding their bikes. Not because we are trying to turn a quick buck but because my wife and I really believe in the power of cycling to transform people's lives! We would love to work with you and you may find that it's not really any more expensive to work with us than Amazon, etc. We match a lot of online pricing and all of our service work is guaranteed. If you've never shopped at Cycle Craft or haven't in a long time, give us a shot. I'll even buy you a cup of coffee!
Brendan
Cycle Craft New Jersey
You need a coffee/tea bar....just saying :)

There's a lot of untapped potential here in NJ. As the saying goes, if you build it, they will come...

To the OP, there's no denying that bikes themselves have evolved from the yesteryears. Bike shops are selling these new fandango bikes and people take them out on what are essentially hiking trails. Imagine if there were areas built to take advantage of the evolution that has taken place with bikes. I've been riding the Jersey area on and off for a long time. The trails are essentially the same today as they were many years ago (CR, Hartshorne, Ringwood, Jungle, LewMo, etc...). The bikes have evolved but the trails not so much. If you feel the trails are awesome here, you haven't been to a place built by MTB folk for MTB folk. Not saying what we have is bad by any means, just saying it could be much, much better.

I've yet to see any mention of trails or trail work or anything trail related at any of the local bike shops, one of which was HG. When you speak of MTB bikes, it's hard not to speak of MTB trails. I've yet to hear of any shops working with the likes of JORBA or other affiliations to either open new trails or revisit existing ones to see if they can be made better.

When I vistit others areas that offer MTB'ing, the shops and trails are almost like one entity. It's not just about selling bikes or bike parts at a competitive price. If you believe that's all it is, then you may be missing the bigger picture.

Sounds like the business owner should have done more homework.

I would agree with that, but also a bike store owner looking to sell needs to be realistic about the value of the business. This is common with a lot of small retail businesses that fail to think about some sort of succession plan. While the store may support a small staff and operational costs, adding the costs of a loan to buy the business itself is often more than it can bear. I've seen this a lot with small businesses that simply close when the owner decides to retire. Guy's Bicycles survives partly because when the original owner (Guy) wanted to retire, he figured out a way to sell the business to two of the main employees (and his non-cyclist daughter...).

IMHO, if a business has a core group of younger employees, it behooves the owner to figure out a way to pass the store along to some of them when they decide to retire. That way they may not only get some sense of pride in the business living on beyond them, but also a potential source of extended income and a theoretically more dedicated employee group.

I seem to be hearing that 'alternate reasons' to congregate at a shop would be good.
Be it just to enhance the shopping experience, or make it a draw outside the bike world.
Maybe run into a friend there, for a quick coffee while planning the next group ride??

It would be nice if there was coffee and/or cold drinks for a group ride organized by the shop,
and then a beer, and food when we get back. You know, a beer where you aren't going to get a ticket if spotted by a LEO a few
minutes after the sun sets. But what shop owner would want that responsibility? And once i'm in my car, i'm probably
not driving anywhere but home. Salt Gastropub has this going with its hashers - of course they don't sell sneakers.

Perhaps something more like Eataly - where it is a group of shops making the destination. Food & drink is sold nextdoor, in
close collaboration - somewhere outside. This all seems so "not in NJ" to me.

I go to Cabelas and/or Pro Bass once a year. They still seem to be in business. There is your megastore with online e-tailer.
It does take money to make money, and it would be a huge undertaking. I'm not sure this model would work.
Look what happened at Effingers. generations of families would make the trek. They assumed they would keep coming.
Service didn't get better, and prices were always high. Even their clearance prices were high when they were closing up.

-------
What i see around me....

The watchung wheelman folks are still planning on launching out of the HG parking lot for their club road rides. at least until the place turns into a chipotle (or whatever).
It was nice to grab a gu, or replace a tube before a ride. After ride gathering was usually the sterling hotel - although i have been handed an adult beverage in the
parking lot. Some of the loops are busy in chatham and through the swamp, others run out towards mendham, and are a bit more quiet.
MTB need not apply.

I've seen liberty cycles - got nothing to say either way there - no experience. Would be the same road experience as HG.

Somerville Cycles - think i've been in there twice. 3 mile ride to CR/newman's lot. Nice warm-up climbing over the watchung ridge to start!
Even closer to the top of the red trail, near the cell tower. I'm not sure the location adds more than newmans' lot - or parking behind the pizza place.

Halters is a nice place to launch a road loop from the lot - a little busy for a few miles into the hopewell area, but then it quickly calms down
after turning up the sourland ridge. it is 8 miles (about 1.5 road to the D&R) to the 6MR canal lot. - that adds too much mileage to a mtb ride.
Plenty of space in the parking lot, and a few places to grab a bite to eat. But i wouldn't hang in that lot - too exposed to the highway.

Bike N Gear isn't far from 6MR on south middlebush, but that is one scary road. Would be cool to have a dirt connector across those grassland preserves.
Has a restaurant right there, but it closes at 4pm. Stage house is a block away, with some outside areas to hang. Not sure how fancy that place is now.

Sourland Cycles is in hopewell. I haven't done any of their group rides. I know they have a vending machine for tubes/CO2/bike-food
outside the store. Also a water bottle fill station in the store.
I think there is a pump and a few tools outside also. again, no access to mtb. Plenty of small places in hopewell for food/drink - like troon!

Cycle Craft - Road riding out of there is tough - basically work through lk hiawatha, into montville, up taylortown road. try to get back into boonton twp, kinnelon, etc.
It is a zoo for the first and last bunch of miles. Parking lot is even a bit intimidating with all the cars cutting through. Couple of good places for food/drink, but
not to hang for an hour after a sweaty ride.

Pure Energy has a nice setup. Good road, tow path, and water co trails accessible out of the lot. Not much parking, beyond the D&R access lot, which fills quickly.
Plenty of places within walking distance - not sure if there is a handy beer garden, where sweaty mamils can hang for a bit.

Marty's/randolph has Dickerson Mine behind it. Road riding is out towards chester/flanders, not bad, but is busy locally - esp riding on rt 10.
While small, DM is fun, and can be ridden at night with the authorized people present. I've never ridden with them.

HB Summit. I drive there. I may have ridden there once. I really don't want to add to the mtb heat map where there shouldn't be any new lines.....
HB Madison. I drive past there! (not a dig, just haven't been in) - HB does a good job communicating where they are riding, and their different events
at the shop, and on the road. Creating a nice community feel to it. Maybe i'll stop in and see @Funk Freshington one of these days.

V5 - They have a core group of mtb people that rotate trail systems. I get the alerts - and have been out a couple times. fun group. They are located in
the flemington redevelopment area of the old racetrack - so there are plenty of chain restaurants and just a few turns from conclave. Plenty of parking, it is
primarily going to be good road riding (although i know a way through deerpath, over round mountain, and into RV....)

Last edited:
There's a lot of untapped potential here in NJ. As the saying goes, if you build it, they will come...

To the OP, there's no denying that bikes themselves have evolved from the yesteryears. Bike shops are selling these new fandango bikes and people take them out on what are essentially hiking trails. Imagine if there were areas built to take advantage of the evolution that has taken place with bikes. I've been riding the Jersey area on and off for a long time. The trails are essentially the same today as they were many years ago (CR, Hartshorne, Ringwood, Jungle, LewMo, etc...). The bikes have evolved but the trails not so much. If you feel the trails are awesome here, you haven't been to a place built by MTB folk for MTB folk. Not saying what we have is bad by any means, just saying it could be much, much better.

I've yet to see any mention of trails or trail work or anything trail related at any of the local bike shops, one of which was HG. When you speak of MTB bikes, it's hard not to speak of MTB trails. I've yet to hear of any shops working with the likes of JORBA or other affiliations to either open new trails or revisit existing ones to see if they can be made better.

When I vistit others areas that offer MTB'ing, the shops and trails are almost like one entity. It's not just about selling bikes or bike parts at a competitive price. If you believe that's all it is, then you may be missing the bigger picture.

6 Mile Run only exists in its current state because of a shop owner, that leads at the park, while holding up the JORBA flag.
The trails are moved from fieldside into the woods, and extended into underutilized areas of the park.
Repairs and relocation of trails/bridges/boardwalks are accomplished with the suggestion and/or blessing of the park staff.
it has been a 10+ year (i think) successful relationship.

6 Mile Run only exists in its current state because of a shop owner, that leads at the park, while holding up the JORBA flag.
The trails are moved from fieldside into the woods, and extended into underutilized areas of the park.
Repairs and relocation of trails/bridges/boardwalks are accomplished with the suggestion and/or blessing of the park staff.
it has been a 10+ year (i think) successful relationship.

The trails in the woods sucked. It was the first place I ever rode a mtb while in high school. The bike tech was low and trails were set up for foot traffic. My parents grew up in the Millstone section of Franklin, my dad knew guys that would Muskrat trap there.

@jdog busts is arse at that place

Not sure where this thread is going anymore, but here is another out of towner perspective like Rick.

No shops down here are as tied together as Halters/Six Mile is. Or at least not that I've heard of. There is a solid club like JORBA who has a firm grip and a great relationship with the city/town or whatever. The one local shop to me is extremely quiet every time I go in (granted every bike shop has a minimum of 3 beer taps that encourages you to hang out), while the one I frequent the most is 40 minutes away and is probably in one of the biggest buildings I've ever seen a bike shop in and has a staff of 10-15 people on hand every time I've been in the building. I'm sure it helps being in the ritzy part of CLT, a Specialized backed shop, and is close to one of the best trails in the city limits.

It seems that down here, the trails are all MTB built first, and maintained by the MTBers, just like they are now back in NJ. Somehow down here, mountain bikers are the first concern, and then the other trail users of hikers can use the MTB trails. Just like Rick, 90% of the trails are one way and purpose built for MTBing. They make great use of the land they have (as you've seen on my strava rides, packing 10 miles of trail into a piece of land thats no more than 1 square mile. Now it isn't Allamuchy or anything like that, but it's trails that are welcomed by the community. Not sure how it got that way, but I hear people TURNING DOWN land to build on because they don't have enough people to either build or maintain the trails.

Sometimes I think of @jdog having free run of some of the properties that they have down here. Sometimes I wonder what Six Mile would be if Jay didn't have to go through all the loop holes to make a small change/addition to his home trail.

Back
Top Bottom