High Bridge Pump Track Conditions

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This thread is like a VCR tape. It will only be good until the compact disc comes out. Or in this case, it gets paved.

Current conditions: unpaved.

pkovo

Track itself was dry and firm yesterday. Some puddles around the track, but not on it.

May need some dry time after last night.

Lots of trees marked (ribbon) in the back section. Assume to be taken down with the planned improvements?

A paved pump track would be amazing by the way

Robin

Screenshot_20220518-122419.png

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
So I checked out the newly revamped Blue line on friday and was surprised that it was a complete rebuild. Kudos to the builders for taking that on. Had a lot of fun and wish i coulda stayed longer to dial it in, but here is my review after a bunch of full runs:

Pros:
- Fresh dirt used was better quality so it was much smoother and less gravely than before
- All the jumps are tabletops so no gaps to worry about clearing
- Lips were steep, but not too steep and very smooth and comfortable and didn't buck you
- The jumps are bigger but more straightforward than the old line so less thought and tech jumping skills required
- Lots of room between jumps and around the trail to pull out or stop if something goes wrong.
- It was a great to see a bunch of kids (and some adults) out there enjoying it and pushing and helping eachother.

Cons:
- Brake check or die. If you try to just roll the whole line without brakes you can overclear every jump which is dangerous and scary. On my proper DJ hardtail which carrys a lot of speed, I had to brake before every jump after the first 2 in order to actually hit the landings. Maybe full suspension would be different but braking so much on a jump line was new to me.
- The amount of brake checking also varies because each tabletop seems to be a different length and they're random and not proportional to speed or where you are in the line.
- I get that it's a public park and they can't make the jumps too big and if they did build them proportional to no-brake speed they would be insanely huge but I would have preferred they use the terrain or features to control speed instead of relying on braking.

I hope the green line gets revamped soon too because the surface is rough and gravely and there are some jumps and berms that need to be tweaked.

don

So I checked out the newly revamped Blue line on friday and was surprised that it was a complete rebuild. Kudos to the builders for taking that on. Had a lot of fun and wish i coulda stayed longer to dial it in, but here is my review after a bunch of full runs:

Pros:
- Fresh dirt used was better quality so it was much smoother and less gravely than before
- All the jumps are tabletops so no gaps to worry about clearing
- Lips were steep, but not too steep and very smooth and comfortable and didn't buck you
- The jumps are bigger but more straightforward than the old line so less thought and tech jumping skills required
- Lots of room between jumps and around the trail to pull out or stop if something goes wrong.
- It was a great to see a bunch of kids (and some adults) out there enjoying it and pushing and helping eachother.

Cons:
- Brake check or die. If you try to just roll the whole line without brakes you can overclear every jump which is dangerous and scary. On my proper DJ hardtail which carrys a lot of speed, I had to brake before every jump after the first 2 in order to actually hit the landings. Maybe full suspension would be different but braking so much on a jump line was new to me.
- The amount of brake checking also varies because each tabletop seems to be a different length and they're random and not proportional to speed or where you are in the line.
- I get that it's a public park and they can't make the jumps too big and if they did build them proportional to no-brake speed they would be insanely huge but I would have preferred they use the terrain or features to control speed instead of relying on braking.

I hope the green line gets revamped soon too because the surface is rough and gravely and there are some jumps and berms that need to be tweaked.

I haven't ridden the latest version but have been there and know the layout. Did they keep the same trail shape or were there re-routes? IIRC there were sections that you could gain speed up pretty quickly.

Great to hear the PROS as a lot of them are really important fixes. Smooth and comfortable and non-bucky lips are hard to do so that's a really good one as is better material.

From the shit I've built over the years it is really hard to get spacing to work especially for a multi-level public park. Some people can hit stuff at a crawl others need a good bit of speed. But we usually strive to set the speed at the first set that will work for the rest of the line.

I feel like for a downhill line it works well when gap sizes progress as the line goes downhill - more speed and you get more "warmed-up" as you go. When it's random size without an up-hill slope to shave speed it can be really tough to ride.

It's good to hear the updates and the fact that it's getting used a lot.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I haven't ridden the latest version but have been there and know the layout. Did they keep the same trail shape or were there re-routes? IIRC there were sections that you could gain speed up pretty quickly.

Great to hear the PROS as a lot of them are really important fixes. Smooth and comfortable and non-bucky lips are hard to do so that's a really good one as is better material.

From the shit I've built over the years it is really hard to get spacing to work especially for a multi-level public park. Some people can hit stuff at a crawl others need a good bit of speed. But we usually strive to set the speed at the first set that will work for the rest of the line.

I feel like for a downhill line it works well when gap sizes progress as the line goes downhill - more speed and you get more "warmed-up" as you go. When it's random size without an up-hill slope to shave speed it can be really tough to ride.

It's good to hear the updates and the fact that it's getting used a lot.
i'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of the line was re-routed off the old path.

Reactions: don

TPI_Elky

Rode today for the first time this year. Conditions were perfect. Didn't realize how much of the beginner track was redone. Blue was good, but I need to work on my jumping technique.

Was anyone there recently and currently missing gloves? I found them in the lot and put them on the planter

IMG_1587.jpeg

pkovo

My daughter and I caught the flow trails right before the recent rains on Monday and had it all to ourselves for a couple of hours. I really liked it before the updates, but now it flows even better

We put together a silly little edit. So lucky to have this right in town.

RideOnTime

When I was running by yesterday I saw a window open on the shed near the pump track. Not sure if that’s on purpose but wanted to throw it out there since it’s the time of year where critters might like to make a home in there.
E7F2346A-B0C7-45AE-9C29-2C1AE1519C04.jpeg

Top Bottom