high bridge..nyc

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
i was looking at some maps on the interweb and couldn't really tell if you are able to ride up the west side highway and make it to that trail. the trail its self can't be that big so adding a bunch of miles riding up the side Manhattan isn't a big deal. just wondering if its a good idea:hmmm:. i don't really want to drive in i'd rather park and ride. thanks

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
i was looking at some maps on the interweb and couldn't really tell if you are able to ride up the west side highway and make it to that trail. the trail its self can't be that big so adding a bunch of miles riding up the side Manhattan isn't a big deal. just wondering if its a good idea:hmmm:. i don't really want to drive in i'd rather park and ride. thanks

There are a few guys who live in Edgewater/Ft. Lee who ride over the GWB to Highbridge. From the bridge there are two ways to get there- the way you're asking about up the path on the side of the Westside Highway, or straight across on city streets to Amsterdam then up Amsterdam and into the trails at the 190th Street/Rough Rider trailhead. Here's a google map with both options.

Driving in is unnecessary. The trails are less than 2 miles from the ramp of the GWB, and less than 3 from where you can park on the NJ side and save the toll. ;)

FWIW, I like to ride up there from my apartment in Queens, about 8.5 miles of city streets, as it's usually faster than driving on weekdays. I can make it in 45 minutes when riding, and after work it'll take me an hour or more to get the same distance in the car.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
there's a bike path over the bridge. a really nice ride is to cross the bridge and ride up to the cloisters. one of my favorite museums. admission is suggested donation. i recommend bringing a light pair of shorts to put on so as not to scare the nuns. you could even make it a family outing. send the s.o. and kids up to the cloisters while you go shred highbridge.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would definitely suggest just parking in Fort Lee at the park right next to the bridge. Ride the bridge over and just cut across/up Manhattan.

The park isn't that great. I did Fort Lee --> Brooklyn-->Fort Lee with a few loops at High Bridge Park after Brooklyn and it was pretty nice. However the park is extremely artificial, but narrow technical singletrack if that's your thing.

-Steve

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
It is what it is for a narrow sliver of park in the densest inner city in the USA. Given the choice most of us drive out of the city to ride, but it's great for something quick, close and super tech.

Narrow technical singletrack it is. Best to come ride it with us to get the best route down. Otherwise it can be hard to figure out the best way to ride it.

If you've got more time, drive in, and hit Highbridge and Cunningham park in one trip. Currently the trails are clear and ready to ride as long as the temps are below freezing!

JeffSpicoli

I think Cunningham is way more maintained than Highbridge. Highbridge seems to be in good shape only after an event or TM. The tight singletrack would be be awesome without all the broken glass:getsome:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
'narrow technical singletrack'...that must suck! ;)

I can't believe I used those terms. :)

It's kinda narrow, it's kinda technical, it's just not fun. For me at least. :) There's plenty of places I'd consider narrow/technical/singletrack that I'd jump at a chance to ride at.

Don't get me wrong, I'd go again. But I could think of a gazillion places I'd rather go.

If I lived in Manhattan I'd be there all the time.

-Steve

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Kinda technical? It has been a few years since i've been there but i remember the short section of advanced trail being the hardest i've seen in the area. Made Blue Mountain seem easy.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I thought HighBridge was pretty fun as well. At least the race course was fun. It is on the smaller side but that doesn't really matter much, just do loops or hit the jumps. Besides, I think you can spend some time just trying to clean all the lines there, I ran a few sections during the race:D

-Jim.

bobkennelly

There are a few guys who live in Edgewater/Ft. Lee who ride over the GWB to Highbridge. From the bridge there are two ways to get there- the way you're asking about up the path on the side of the Westside Highway, or straight across on city streets to Amsterdam then up Amsterdam and into the trails at the 190th Street/Rough Rider trailhead. Here's a google map with both options.

Driving in is unnecessary. The trails are less than 2 miles from the ramp of the GWB, and less than 3 from where you can park on the NJ side and save the toll. ;)

FWIW, I like to ride up there from my apartment in Queens, about 8.5 miles of city streets, as it's usually faster than driving on weekdays. I can make it in 45 minutes when riding, and after work it'll take me an hour or more to get the same distance in the car.

I have been as far as Dykman on my lunch hour from Battery park, did not know it was that close. Although there are a couple of sketchy areas before the bridge, there is a wooded area and a park you have to first get through, both look like sort of a home-less hang out for alot of locals..who would love to make a buck from that 1800.00 dollar bike you got.
I am always alittle nervous when I ride that area.
Beware if you coming from down town area.

jbogner

JORBA.ORG
Hey Bob- we were genuinely worried about bike jacking when we were planning the trails. However, in the year and a half that the trails have been open, we've had zero reports of assault, bike jacking or the like. In fact, crime has actually dropped around the park, as riders have displaced the homeless camps that used to define that section of the park, and the 34th precinct has seen less car break-ins around the park as a result. I think most bike thieves in NYC prefer to steal locked-up bikes.

There is a sketchy area around the I-95 bridge that seems to be a crackhead hangout (the cops know about it and patrol it, but there's only so much they can do... there's a methadone clinic across the street and the guys get their morning high there, then hit the park for crack), but the trails are all well north of that. I do sometimes loop down there (last year's race course went through that area), and have never had a problem- I just ride fast and don't stop. ;)

I love riding Highbridge. It's what you'd expect for mountain bike trails in Washington Heights- gritty, tough, sketchy in spots, unforgiving, duurrty. They're not pristine suburban trails, because it's NYC. I ride over glass every day on my commute into Manhattan from Queens, so it doesn't bother me. It is what it is, and we take the long-view with it. In 5-10 years as the neighborhood continues to turn around and clean up, the trails will only get better. 10 year ago police and park staff would barely set foot in the park. We've come a long way and will continue to make progress over the next 10 years...

MST.ESQ

I guess there is good and bad with having drug issues around the park. I found a roll of drug money in the park this past summer ($250). I got nervous after I picked it up (paraniod that it was planted as part of an ambush or something) and high-tailed it back to the subway. I never rode that fast before in my life.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
It's funny to seeing squirrel sized rats constantly running across the trail instead of just squirrels.

bobkennelly

Hey Bob- we were genuinely worried about bike jacking when we were planning the trails. However, in the year and a half that the trails have been open, we've had zero reports of assault, bike jacking or the like. In fact, crime has actually dropped around the park, as riders have displaced the homeless camps that used to define that section of the park, and the 34th precinct has seen less car break-ins around the park as a result. I think most bike thieves in NYC prefer to steal locked-up bikes.

There is a sketchy area around the I-95 bridge that seems to be a crackhead hangout (the cops know about it and patrol it, but there's only so much they can do... there's a methadone clinic across the street and the guys get their morning high there, then hit the park for crack), but the trails are all well north of that. I do sometimes loop down there (last year's race course went through that area), and have never had a problem- I just ride fast and don't stop. ;)

I love riding Highbridge. It's what you'd expect for mountain bike trails in Washington Heights- gritty, tough, sketchy in spots, unforgiving, duurrty. They're not pristine suburban trails, because it's NYC. I ride over glass every day on my commute into Manhattan from Queens, so it doesn't bother me. It is what it is, and we take the long-view with it. In 5-10 years as the neighborhood continues to turn around and clean up, the trails will only get better. 10 year ago police and park staff would barely set foot in the park. We've come a long way and will continue to make progress over the next 10 years...

I ride fast as well thrugh that area I know that probably nothing will happen but,just the same it makes me nervous, I usually go into Central Park every day and do a couple laps with a gang of roadies that like to ride.
I work over on gold st. By the seaport.

Thanks for the heads up.

Bobke

hooples3

The first time i went to Highbridge I came down that flight of stairs leading to that bridge , there were about 15 crackheads under it. We startled them with all the noise but trust me.. I thought we were in for it at that point. That was when it first opened. Ive been there several more times and have had all great experiences.
i do however prefer Cunningham park though :D

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's

GPS coordinate of the sketchy area? Is going around the West side of Mahattan up North and around to the East side pretty safe?

Also, I've been wanting to ask if anyone can give me any tips & poniters on dirt jumping for a total beginner. Would I be able to jump them on my FS Stumpie w/o too many problems or should I take a hardtail to it first or are such things much better suited for a DJ specific bike? What's the best way to start out? Thought I might try them out since they're so close by.

sixseven

Highbridge is safe. Pretty much all of Manhattan is safe after the Guiliani cleansing and the prosperity the island has enjoyed for the past few decades.

I love riding at Highbridge. There is some extra-hair-gnar riding in there for sure. The urban thing is just a great change up from the usual.

Sometimes I ride thru there wishing there was some 1979 WARRIORS shit going on up there but its pretty tame. I love that movie...NYC lost the edge a while back.

To ride on an exotic island of the northeast coast of the USA is a pretty cool thing.

Top Bottom