high bridge..nyc

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
GPS coordinate of the sketchy area? Is going around the West side of Mahattan up North and around to the East side pretty safe?

You wouldn't hit the sketchy area unless you were inside the park and way away from the trails. On street level, there's no danger anywhere. I don't have coordinates for the exact area, but on google maps, it's between Washington and Hamilton bridges (the top two of the cluster of three bridges).

Nice avatar. As an aside, the area we're talking about, under the I-95 Hamilton Bridge, was once the site of a rather large northeastern fight club. They used to stage fights under there because cops wouldn't come in the park, and the constant traffic of I-95 above masked the sound. Another piece of illustrious NYC history. ;)

At some point in the next three years, they will be completely rehabbing that area and building a skatepark!

zip

NYC has a bike way that goes all around the island

A good outing in the winter , if the trails are bad, is a 32 mile loop around NYC. It is 80 per cent on bike paths away from traffic. It passes the lower entrance to the Highbridge MTB Park. It is marked with " trail markers" all the way around. Google NYC Bike Path for a map.
We park on Moore street ( free) , just inside the Holland Tunnel. Ride a few blocks to the Hudson River and you are on the Bike Path. Weekends go early and there are plenty of parking spots. There is a Pub there too!
If you go in warm weather you can take the Liberty Water Taxi and park free at Liberty State Park. The Water Taxi drops you on the Bike Path in Manhattan. The water taxi is closed weekends in the winter.
You will pass Battery Park, The Intrepid, Grants Tomb, Go under GW Bridge, The Cloisters, Highbridge Park, You can ride over the Brooklyn Bridge on an elevated bike path above the cars. There are public bathrooms by the Marina on the Hudson river ( halfway between the Intrepid and the GWBridge. The bike path goes along the river.
The 20 per cent city street riding is over by the Harlem and East Rivers so if that is not for you, ride the bike path up to Highbridge and come back the same way.
Lots of fun , went last weekend.

Top Bottom