High Bridge Flow Trails Status

Robin

Saturday, June 11th - IG states Flow Trails now open

Screenshot_20220611-144022.png

JPark

I tried the new blue trail today and it is WAY BETTER that it used to be.
There are many nice sized table top jumps in addition to small doubles and some rollers. The ramps do NOT have a sharp lip at the top of the jump like expert level jumps do and the trail in general is wider.
The berms are not bike-park size, but they're bigger than they used to be.
The trail features are spread out enough that I could regain my speed from a brake-check and still clear the next jump.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Thank you for posting @Robin
JORBA leadership and the chapter have engaged the town seeking a solution. Ash trees in the vicinity of the trails are posing a risk of unexpected falling, and we have asked the town to officially close the trails until the trees are addressed. Please respect the closure - we will update via socials when we have more info.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Not much to report, but here is an update.
The chapter and JORBA leadership have engaged Mayor Lee of High Bridge, who is actively seeking support from all possible funding sources. Thus far they have struck out on some kind of government based funding. We all know how difficult it is at the state level to fund parks in NJ, so this is not a huge surprise. I will also note that Mayor Lee made a significant donation recently to support the trails out of her own funds. She & her staff are amazingly supportive of the chapter and trails in High Bridge. Local funding is not out of the question, and she is exploring all options.

In the meantime, we want to ensure that stakeholders who enjoy these trails are aware of the chapter's fundraising channels. Besides the latest trucker hat fundraiser (access by clicking here) JORBA passes along all donations earmarked for the chapter as restricted funds; they may only be spent on that chapter's tools/supplies/services. You can donate directly to the Flow Trails here. I am not yet saying that the chapter/JORBA will foot the bill to remove the dangerous trees, but we will also not accept a permanent closure driven solely by lack of funds. We are stronger than that!

More to come as things evolve.

ebarker9

Appreciate the update. I had seen the closures on Instagram and understood it to be related to tree removal, but I didn't realize that there wasn't funding to perform the tree removal.

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Appreciate the update. I had seen the closures on Instagram and understood it to be related to tree removal, but I didn't realize that there wasn't funding to perform the tree removal.
Right on. It's beyond normal tree work, not something for volunteers to attempt, so the cost is significant.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Right on. It's beyond normal tree work, not something for volunteers to attempt, so the cost is significant.

I wonder if a hybrid model would work -
trees are felled and bucked by a pro, but left for removal by an army of volunteers?
The town does chipping in that yard (i think?)
Firewood for the townfolk?

Reactions: don

KenS

JORBA.ORG
I wonder if a hybrid model would work -
trees are felled and bucked by a pro, but left for removal by an army of volunteers?
The town does chipping in that yard (i think?)
Firewood for the townfolk?
We've discussed this, yes. A pro needs to drop them, then we'll buck up what has to be cleared, if anything. The rest will be left on site to not move more bugs around.

serviceguy

Any idea of the cost of the removal by professionals? Maybe there's one or more on this board that may apply a special rate in exchange for a JORBA endorsement? Something along the lines of... mountain bikers are a though bunch, they're known to fell a tree with their teeth...but when the tree is more than they can chew...dramatic pause... they call 'beaver ain't got nothing on me' professional tree service!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I do know a pro that will give a good rate if he is just cutting. Will discuss, and talk to @KenS offline

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
High Bridge Flow Trails need our help- Please consider donating

Emerald Ash Borers have forced the closure of the High Bridge Flow trails and pump track.
More than 100 dead and dying ash trees in the vicinity of the trails and pump track pose a serious risk to users of the trails,
and the trails have been closed until the problem is addressed.
Brian Cashman of Red Oak Tree Service (Warren, NJ) has offered to contract the work at an incredibly generous rate,
but the town needs funds to cover the cost of removal before the trails can be reopened.
The goal is $3,600 to cover the cost of taking the affected trees down.

JORBA will match all donations up to $2,000

Link to donate:

Bikeworks

High Bridge Flow Trails need our help- Please consider donating

Emerald Ash Borers have forced the closure of the High Bridge Flow trails and pump track.
More than 100 dead and dying ash trees in the vicinity of the trails and pump track pose a serious risk to users of the trails,
and the trails have been closed until the problem is addressed.
Brian Cashman of Red Oak Tree Service (Warren, NJ) has offered to contract the work at an incredibly generous rate,
but the town needs funds to cover the cost of removal before the trails can be reopened.
The goal is $3,600 to cover the cost of taking the affected trees down.

JORBA will match all donations up to $2,000

Link to donate:
Wow, that sucks!!!! Sent a few dollars to help out.

Top Bottom